Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

os .18

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 PM
buckeye fitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os .18

Just added an OS .18 motor to my friends rc10. When we first tried to start it (pull start) it was very hard to start. It had the factory glow plug in it and the needle settings were set to factory settings. I would pull the cord and it would start for a split second and die as soon as you took the glow plug heater off. When it did start it seemed as the cord rewound in it would die? It started and ran, but was VERY hard to start. We ran 4 tanks of gas through it and now it will pull start and run for 1-2 seconds then die. I used the roto start and it would start that way only pull start. First OS motor, never had these issue with Traxxas motors??? My friend added a #3 OS glow plug thinking it would help but it seems worse?? Any help is appreciated
Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: os .18

Have you adjusted the engine at all? The "factory" settings are only starting points. You will have to adjust the high-speed needle and the idle mixture adjustment from the initial starting points. They are almost always very, very rich. You would want to leave the battery connected to the glow plug and then work with the adjustments until the engine can sustain running without it.

We break in engines by driving them. You cannot break in an engine while running it at low rpm on a non-moving car. That's a sure way to have an engine with a shortened life.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:13 AM
buckeye fitter

No, we ran the car moving and adjusted the settings. It was real hard to start in the beginning, but it started fine. Now all of the sudden we are back to it hard starting and not wanting to stay running. I am baffled.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:22 AM
t0riownageeee

Have you tryed to change glow plug?
Also, i would start with all basic settings again and take it from there....
Ive got a .21 VG engine, (im not happy) and after 2 tanks i have had a issue as many other have had.. I can run for 5min then the engine starts messing up and ive got to kill it....
"overheat" ....

"The hard starting" ?
Hard to pull?
Then take out the glow plug.. pull some times.. put the plug back in and try...
You dont wanna take mutch fuel in the carb, then its easy to get the problem..
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine has a good plug, good fuel, and good compression, it WILL fire and run. It's all in the adjustments. However, R/C car engines get a lot of abuse as a rule, so you have to check them carefully. The most common problem is an overheat and the second most-common problem is dirt damage. Both will affect compression. If the compression is off, then starting will become problematic as well as idling once the engine starts. Running can become problematic once the engine warms up.

With an overheat, the piston will expand to nearly seizing and then shrink down to be a bit too small when it cools. You get a looser-than-normal piston/liner fit. Dirt damage just erodes the piston down to a looser fit. The only way to tell, other than performance, is to disassemble the engine and see if the piston will push up through the top of the cylinder liner. If it does, the fit is shot.

You could also check the glow plug. A bad plug can be a contributor, but if it glows bright cherry red, it's getting hot enough to fire.