Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 46FX Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 06:49 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46FX Muffler

I would like to get an upgraded muffler/ pipe for my OS46FX. I am very happy with this engine (it is on my Magic), but not one to leave well enough alone, I am looking for more.

Assuming this is a good thing, what would be some suggestions for pipes. Warranty issues would be a concern too, as I wouldn't want an upgrade to affect the warranty.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Better Performance

Try removing the baffle. Gave mine almost 1000 rpm increase. Ultrathrust mufflers are also good for a boost. Pete
Old 04-05-2002, 08:58 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS 46FX Muffler

MAC's Tune Pipe assembly from Tower Hobbies will supersize that engine -- BBUUTT!!!!!

With the OS FX .46 your already overpowering that airplane. I have one on my TT Fun Tiger with a Mac's Tune pipe but it probably weighs 2 pounds more than the Magic. A tuned-pipe OS FX .46 would probably be ideal for a plane like the UltraSport 40, running a high pitch prop. With the Magic you want a low pitch prop. You speed up the Magic and I guarantee you'll see pieces and parts floating down after it destroys itself in midair due to flutter. Don't believe me -- look at that virtical stabilizer and compare it to the rudder.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:46 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default OS 46FX Muffler

MH: A mac pipe will do a lot to increase your power; however, based upon the comments above, be sure to stay in a lower pitch higher diameter prop range if you're concerned about potential flutter. I spin a 12x4 on mine.
Ps please DON'T pull the baffle....the engine needs the back pressure for proper performance and at least in most of the country noise issues really are becoming important.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.) You can also reld the information helpful and valuable to you.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Service and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 04-07-2002, 11:26 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default OS 46FX Muffler

Thanks all!
Old 04-09-2002, 06:45 PM
tomr-RCU

Default OS 46FX Muffler

Some of the people at our field have replaced the stock 46fx muffler witht he TowerHobbies .46 muffler for a performance increase of around 1500+ rpm with an 11x6 prop. The tower muffler is only 12 bucks and seems to be quieter than the stock fx muffler.

Tom
Old 04-10-2002, 03:28 AM
shmo46

Default OS 46FX Muffler

Right on amcros, back pressure is very helpfull.

The Macs muffler (not tuned pipe) is worth a look. It doesn't boost RPM's but it does boost tank pressure a lot. Makes throtle and needle responce much more linear, and seems to prevent flame outs. Like em so much i got four of them.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:17 AM
THE TAILBACKER

Default OS 46FX Muffler

Warranty? I kiss that goodbye as soon as i walk out the door with the engine. Mac pipe is good. I use the Performance Specialties Ultra Thrust. They work well and give me a good increase in rpm.
On the other hand, you need to watch it. You start replacing glow plugs and this is a sign your engine is running to lean and problems will show up after a while. I have this 46fx I've had 4 years now with an Ultrathrust. I squeeze every last rpm out of this thing and beat it to death. It just wont die.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:30 AM
a4tune8one-RCU

Default OS 46FX Muffler

Jett Engineering makes a nice pipe for about $50 for the TT .40,.46, and many others.