Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

New member.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:50 AM
  #1  
Lonnie Hyde
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Victorville California
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member.

Hello to all in this forum. I just joined this morning. I am not quite sure how to navigate the forum yet. My name is Lonnie Hyde. I first got into RC boating in 1975. I enjoyed it very much. I was recalled to active military shortly after that and my boating activities stopped at that time. I am now fully retired and after a few medical issues behind me now, I would like to enjoy the hobby again. All of my experience by your standards now ,is very old school. Back then, we all had to build wood boat kits, some of us, not really very skilled at it. We had good cooperation and friendships with all involved in the hobby at that time. I hope it is still that way today. I am partial to the gas boats, F1 tunnels, Catamarans and mono hulls. I am looking forward to learning about all of the new boating world of today. I know that I can learn a lot from all of you. I hope to get to know some of you through this forum and I am happy to be a member. Best regards, Lonnie Hyde.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:20 AM
  #2  
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)
 
Justaddwata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: RI-USA, RI
Posts: 6,148
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Welcome back Lonnie and thank you for your service!

Things have certainly changed over the years but there remains so many niches where one can do as little or as much of a build as they desire. Some choose to build from plans. Some make their own plans. Some buy a wood kit (Zippkits.com have a number to work from) and customize as they go and others buy glass boats or full custom ready to run. Most still do it for social running though there exist many clubs around the country where racers meet.

Certainly dont hesitate to let us know if theres any questions we can help with.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:55 AM
  #3  
benoy gear
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

nice
Old 05-19-2022, 07:21 AM
  #4  
Lonnie Hyde
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Victorville California
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Justaddwata View Post
Welcome back Lonnie and thank you for your service!

Things have certainly changed over the years but there remains so many niches where one can do as little or as much of a build as they desire. Some choose to build from plans. Some make their own plans. Some buy a wood kit (Zippkits.com have a number to work from) and customize as they go and others buy glass boats or full custom ready to run. Most still do it for social running though there exist many clubs around the country where racers meet.

Certainly dont hesitate to let us know if theres any questions we can help with.
Thank you for your kind reply. I love your forum name. It reminds me of the military field rations that we used. They were a dehydrated package of food. The instructions were, "JUST Add WATER". Thank you for your willingness to assist me if needed. I must look at the fiberglass boats now. Due to some physical limitations connected to the military service and some recent past medical issues, I can no longer build a kit boat. "It is all good". There a lot of wonderful fiberglass boats out there, that I know I would be delighted with. I have never worked with this type of boat before, but I think the basics will still be the same. I know there will be some differences and that is one of the main reasons that I wanted to join your group. I believe that this group will help keep me on the right track, possibly advise me on correct hardware, materials, best way to go about rigging out the boat. These kind of things will help me not make costly mistakes ( I hope ). I really do appreciate any and all advise and directions in these areas. Best regards, Lonnie Hyde.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:15 PM
  #5  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,048
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Default

Hello Again, Lonnie.
Was wondering how long it would take you to find your way to this forum. This was actually the first one I found, almost 18 years and close to 10,000 posts ago. I think you'll find this one has a very different feel to it as most of the guys at the other forum are competitive racers while most here are not.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:07 PM
  #6  
Lonnie Hyde
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Victorville California
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Hello Again, Lonnie.
Was wondering how long it would take you to find your way to this forum. This was actually the first one I found, almost 18 years and close to 10,000 posts ago. I think you'll find this one has a very different feel to it as most of the guys at the other forum are competitive racers while most here are not.
Thank you for your reply. I have some difficulty navigating in this forum. Each time I log on, It takes me several tries to get back ti this part of the forum. I am not a very computer literate type. You are correct. The folks here seem to really want to help. I am no longer a competitive boater as in the old days for me. I just want to enjoy the hobby again for as long as I can. I think that today, I would be called a play boater and that is just fine with me. To make new friends and to have something in common with a few other people. There are no other boaters here yet. I must drive @ 65 miles down to Legg lake in Whittier California to use my boat. I am trying to get the home owners association at a private community called Silver Lake here 12 miles away form me, to have their permission to use their lake. They have not as yet said no. Hopefully they will let me. If they do, I will try to get some of the residents interested in the boating hobby. If I can do that, I will not be alone here. Thank you again for your reply. Best regards, Lonnie.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:44 PM
  #7  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,048
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Default

I remember you talking about the distance to Legg Lake and dealing with the homeowner's association in the other forum, hope that negotiation is going well.
As far as navigating the sites, what I have found to be the easiest is to "bookmark" the control panel page on your computer. If your computer is set up like mine, on the right end of the address bar is a star. Once you get to the control panel page, click on the star and it will save the address for you, making access quick and easy. Since I work with Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge, depending on whether I'm at home or at work, the bookmarks are all accessed differently so I would need to know which one you specifically use to help further.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:06 PM
  #8  
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)
 
Justaddwata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: RI-USA, RI
Posts: 6,148
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

As far as where to look at hulls and hardware - there are a number of options depending on what sort of hull design you prefer and many ways to set up drives etc to make her move. Some reputable companies I would recommend include Bonzisports.com, Enforcerrcboats.com, insaneboats.com, zippkits.com, gizmomotors.com to name a few. Certainly let us know if theres something specific you are thinking about and maybe we can help you track it down too (just responded to your stuffing tube block question).

Old 05-20-2022, 07:29 AM
  #9  
Lonnie Hyde
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Victorville California
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
I remember you talking about the distance to Legg Lake and dealing with the homeowner's association in the other forum, hope that negotiation is going well.
As far as navigating the sites, what I have found to be the easiest is to "bookmark" the control panel page on your computer. If your computer is set up like mine, on the right end of the address bar is a star. Once you get to the control panel page, click on the star and it will save the address for you, making access quick and easy. Since I work with Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge, depending on whether I'm at home or at work, the bookmarks are all accessed differently so I would need to know which one you specifically use to help further.
Hello again, Hydro Junkie. You guy's have some of the best names. It reminds me of back when I was flying, we all had different call signs. Mine was "LARUE", an old nickname from high school, that for some reason it stuck ,even in the Air Force. In answer to you question, the association will not meet on their lake matters until around the June or July time frame, but the good news thus far, is a couple of the board members that I spoken with, are not opposed to it. If they give me their permission, It will make boating so much nicer for me, and perhaps I can get others that live there interested in the boats. A 12 mile drive, is way better than a 65 mile one way drive. I will follow your computer directions on using this forum. Thank you for the tip on how to navigate this forum. Best regards, Lonnie Hyde.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.