Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

RADAR GUN?????

Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

RADAR GUN?????

Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM
jmbraychy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RADAR GUN?????

has anyone used the bushnell radar gun on there boat? i just picked one up at pep-boys for $70.00
Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: RADAR GUN?????

For the price it's not a bad radar gun. We've done some testing with others in this price range and found that a high profile hull is a lot easier to hit. They seem to work better when the boat is either coming at you or going away.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM
jmbraychy

thanks ron i have used it and it seems to work [repeated runs with several boats of different sizes] will do a test with the gps in the boats and then shoot it with radar. your right it works best if you can get the boat to come straight at you when you use the gun. dosent seem to work very good in the prop spray when shooting it going away from you on the big gas boats but the small vagas it will read.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Ron Olson

We had trouble picking up a low profile boat like a .21 'rigger but had better luck with OB tunnels. We had some DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) officers show up and they got out their radar gun. The speeds were comparable to the low-dollar one.
My buddy had more fun with his gun as he'd stand out in front of his house pointing it as cars haulin' down his street. He lives on a State road so people like to speed down it. It tickled him to watch them slamming on the brakes to slow down!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:23 AM
sowega flyer

My boss has one...he loves to play cop and hide in the bushes. 1 mph over the speed limit, and we get written up and lose our safety bonus. He swears they are accurate
I'd like to see how fast his colon is...[X(]
Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Ron Olson

Ask him when was the last time that he had it calibrated. Many people have gotten out of traffic tickets because of that.
You can't win with management, I think that I must be working at the same place as they always have a Catch-22 somewhere. They were writing people up for stuff that happened during a lock-out or in the shop you're either driving too fast or holding up production because you're not. They haven't resorted to radar guns yet but I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 AM
mike the snake

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bushnell is accurate. It reads well at lower speeds. We use the Prospeed and Stalker pro and Stalker sport radar guns for Dynamic soaring.
Many have tried the Bushnell, for our uses it is not usable, but for models and things up close up to around 100mph they are OK (we went 313mph 2 weeks ago with a glider!).

Radar guns NEED the object to be Dead in-line, either coming At, or going away directly from the gun, and the readings will be accurate. As the angle derivates from in-line, the readings will be lower.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 PM
jmbraychy

today we tested it with the gps and it was accurate it will pick up the boats about 60 feet away.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:21 PM
mike the snake

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you happen to have two of those Bushnell guns, some people Dynamic soaring were getting better readings by using 2 guns side-by-side, not sure why it worked but more passes were caught from farther away.