Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

Methods and advice for picture taking

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

Methods and advice for picture taking

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methods and advice for picture taking

We all like to look at great boat pictures, stills with backdrops to boats in action. Thought I'd see if anybody with experience in this could share a few secrets that could help us all out, including myself. With cameras that vary from point and shoot to the expensive SLR type, would like to see a few pointers posted that make the our readers say "WOW! Great shot!" when they see a photo in a thread. So what are you using, and how are you doing it???

-Scott
Old 07-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Methods and advice for picture taking

Good thread Scott

The old story of the best camera takes the best shots has always been lost on me. I find the best camera is the one that is taking the pictures - not left in the car.

I have taken around 40 000 pictures of various RC boats with a variety of cameras (point and shoot to DSLR). If I had to choose one camera it would be the point and shoot - One with good optical zoom range and a high megapixel count (allows you to crop in on the boat more - after the picture is taken). Use a large quality memory card (allows faster storage of the image and thus faster to get the next pic - the bigger storage size will allow you to practice a lot more too) and go with a camera that has Digital video with sound (DSLR's do not have this option).

I tend to try to be nearer the end of the straight away where a boat is more likely to fly, be going fast, you have more time to take your shot, and you can also capture a shot of the rooster tail as she enters the turn. I try to be lower to the waters edge - be safe - but it gives the boat a little more realism from that angle.

I have recently stepped up to a DSLR that has a mass of horsepower compared to my compacts and mini slr's. It will shoot around 7 pictures per second - for 60+ consecutive shots - at 10mp. That is enough to catch the boat from beginning to end of the straight and through the turn (depending yon your boat of course). A big lense helps get in close and the near zero shutter lag makes getting the right shot a lot easier.

For settings - go with a sport setting if your compact offers it. Try adjusting your shutter speed if your camera has some customization. My first day out with the DSLR left me with more dark images than I had hoped for - they are still usable but not what I had hoped. Use the autofocus and if you have the option go with spot focussing - Manual focussing will allow you to take a faster shot - but if your out of focus it wont be a shot worth having. If there is a particular subject or point on the course where you can focus the lens and then wait for the boat to pass through that location it will give you some good results also..

Dont forget to take some people shots - boats are great - but it is the friends we make in this hobby that keeps it fun

First day out with the DSLR - http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/2008/junewarwick

Some shots with a Mini SLR - http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/rirun2

Old 07-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Thanks for the info! Been thinking about a nice camera in the near future.....wife says I need to sell more boat hulls first . Get halfway decent resuts with my point and shoot 8.1 mp Sony Cybershot. It's the action shots I have a hard time capturing most of the time. Also using a basic drape backdrop for stills to keep the busy clutter away is something I've been experimenting on. Headed to Home Depot to find a white sheet that hopefully will suffice.

-Scott
Old 07-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Justaddwata

You could do what I did and tell the wife that the new camera will help sell more boats

For fast quality action shots you cannot beat a DSLR (well - maybe video).
Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
misshydro

Heres what I use payed 200 three years go and now you can get them cheaper!@[:@] Now they making a 8.0 version,thats my next camara.[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Z740-Digital-Camera-printer-dock-etc_W0QQitemZ270256419654QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31388Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em122[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20466.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	992599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16214.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	992600  
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

You could do what I did and tell the wife that the new camera will help sell more boats

For fast quality action shots you cannot beat a DSLR (well - maybe video).
its time for me to upgrade and I was looking at these three,
what do you think?

1st is the S100fs,
2nd is the S1000fd and
3rd is the S8100fd.

Dan.

Name:	Kh17578.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	992647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60777.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	992648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36322.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	992649  
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Justaddwata

Dan - I would go with the S100 (Naturally the most expensive of the three)

While I do not have hands on experience with any of those listed - I do own the Fuji 5300, Fuji S7000, and Fuji S9000/9100 (I have taken an average 35 000 pictures with each). The S9000 is the precurser to the S100 from the looks of things. The fixed SLR style non retracting lens with zoom operated by a ring (like an SLR) makes for faster control - It will probably allow you to zoom while videoing (something the retractable lenses may not offer). True it is not inexpensive but it certainly has some features.

Some DSLR's that you might consider (since you are talking serious digital camera $$) is the Canon Rebel range as well as the Nikon D40 and [link=http://Nikon D60]http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-d60-with-18mm/4505-6501_7-32848557.html?tag=also[/link]. While they may seem to miss the megapixel count of the Fuji they will take a better picture and afford more control. Plus when your ready you can upgrade lenses. I am not trying to change your mind on the fuji (I love Fuji's as you might see by what I have purchased over the years) - just presenting some other options that are worthy of consideration and will still meet your budget (Though as I mentioned earlier - DSLR's do not record video or audio)

Do a little research on some of the different camera review sites and see what different users have to say. Also check where you buy it from as many sites offer 30 day return periods (which gives you the chance to play before you fully commit).

Old 07-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Dan S

Matt....it is Matt isn't it?

I went and looked at a few more today,

the Canon Rebel Xti and the new Xsi (wow), the Olympus E410 and the Pentax K100 D Super.

I like the Xti but it doesn't have image stabilization, the Xsi has it but I could not convince the wife @ $1000.00.

the Olympus is ok but also no image stabilization, the Pentax is also one nice DSLR but it only has 6.1 MegaPixel compared to the others at 10 and 12.1 for the Xsi.

I was kind of leaning towards the Pentax, the price has been lowered because the K200 is the replacement, should I be worried about the lower pixel count?.

your opininon please.

Dan.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Justaddwata

Yep - Matt works

To be honest - I didnt really give olympus, pentax or Sony serious consideration when I was hunting for my DSLR (I went with the Canon 40D). I view the Nikon and Canon as the two serious players in the DSLR market. I was always planning on getting some different lenses and probably upgrading the camera body the next time the technology changes.

The Canon cameras do not have body image stabilization so it is always going to be a lens based feature. It can make a big difference to lens prices - Especially with the high end "L" series lenses.
My camera came with a 24-135mm lens that has optical stablization. I am not sure just how much it needs it or how much better it would be with or without it. I guess I am just not yet sold on the whole Stablization option. (My fujis did not have stablization - maybe I am a little steadier at taking my pics). I purchased two "L" series lenses (neither with stablization) within a week of getting my camera and have not used the original lense since (and have not taken a stablized pic since). Stablizers can have their down side - they add weight, slow down the shot (or can), and use more of your cameras power to function. The only time I have used a tripod is when taking photos of the [link=http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/jawimages?p=0&n=1&m=-1&c=2&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9]full moon[/link].
All of these pics were hand held with a 35-350mm lens - http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/2008/junewarwick
I am just not yet sold on image stablization. I today purchased a Sigma 80-400mm stablized lens that certainly takes a great shot but it is also a lot slower and louder lens than my Canon "L" 35-350. I purchased it with the intent of evaluating IS before I buy anything much larger (where IS will really get expensive).

Without trying to confuse you too much with info - One thing to consider with most all affordable (and even some $3000) DSLR's is that they will have a built in crop factor. Basically the sensor that captures the image is not a full 35mm in size and as such will reduce the area of the lens that it uses - this is realized as a magnification of the image. Most are a 1.6:1 crop. This would mean that a lens like my 24-135mm lens will actually take pictures like a 38-216mm lens on a full frame (or film) DSLR/SLR. All this means is that you have a bit more zoom than you would expect - good for taking boat shots but a little tight if your doing portrats. This too can be offset by using a wider lens though. Personally I like the fact that I get a 60% better magnification with any lens that I use. Dont view this crop factor so much a negative - just a consideration if you are use to taking pictures with certain sized lenses.

The Rebel XSI is available for under $800 online http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-32891057.html - Tigerdirect offer it for $850 with a 30 day return period (I have taken advantage of that once or twice with items from them that did not live up to expectation). Another place I have looked is Walmart who also have a no hassle 30 day return - while you pay sales tax - you dont pay shipping.

When I shopped I didnt look too hard at the rebel as they did not have the newer XSI (which has many desirable features). If they had I might have gone that way instead.

So I guess part of your consideration is if this camera will be a stepping stone as your skills improve or if you are thinking that you will not likely need anything more any time soon. Regardless - the DSLR's box lens choices will leave you a distance from your subject if your planning on taking many boat pics. I have had some luck finding lenses on e-bay (though again come the risks of buying anything on e-bay). I picked up the 80-400 sigma for around $650 in perfect shape. But lenses are quickly more $$ than the body when you start a collection.

But it is going to depend a LOT on what you are photographing, how much you will be photographing, and what you see yourself doing with it. I dont leave home without my Canon Powershot SD1100 - http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-32826179.html I would have to say it is the best camera I have owned so far (might not want to read that to the wife ). Image quality for many portrait shots is as good to the average eye - and it fits in my pocket. I have many pictures where I have a hard time figuring out which camera a shot came from. Color from both canons is amazing. But the compact would fail miserably at taking action shots. Even kids jumping in a pool last week was hit and miss. 1 second between shots compared to the enging sounding 6.5fps of the 40D - http://youtube.com/watch?v=HOnfmsu3Y7Q

I guess I have not really given you much of an answer. I personally am impressed with Canons quality, performance, and colors - I know there are just as many who will say the same for Nikon. But I am not sure how many Olympus and Pentax users will say the same. Give some thought to just what you want to do with the camera (and how big a camera you want to carry around - because it wont take good pictures if you leave it behind )

Lower resolution is not the end of the world but it is good to have. Think I would say Quality first - then quantity. Consider that many ultra compact cameras for $200 have higher resolutions than Full Format DSLR's costing $5000. But it is the quality of those megapixes that counts the most.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Dan S

Thanks Matt,

my decision has been made and I have acquired the Canon Rebel Xsi.

I bought the kit, which means it came with everything, the original 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm Lens.

it is safe to say that its gonna be a small step forward from my Fuji 2800 to this one

Now off to charge the battery and read the book.

Dan.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Justaddwata

Think you will find yourself a happy man with your choice. The 70-300 should get you in VERY close to what you are use to.

Something I did was buy an introduction/training DVD specific to my 40D. There are a few companies that offer them but they give some good information on how to customize some of your settings and achieve more with your camera. Think it was around $24 for a 2 x dvd course. The presentation is somewhat amature but the information was certainly helpful iin learning the mass of new buttons and settings.

Be sure to get some pictures up of the results
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Dan S

Thank you, thank you very much.

this was taken on Auto with the 75-300mm Lens at 6.1 mega pixels.

Dan.

Name:	Mj24587.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	996379  
Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Justaddwata

Nice work - you might not need that DVD after all
Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 PM
firelite_marine

DSLR all the way for stills. I just bought a sony a200. i took a pic of a ceiling fan on high with my shutter speed set really fast and i captured the fan as if it wasnt even moving. perfect for rc action shots.