Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Laziness or Lack of Common Sense?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 AM
psb667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Laziness or Lack of Common Sense?

ORIGINAL: crustychief

Isn't the best search engine at the front of the owners manual?
But cg is never located in the manual
Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

ah i get it, people with superior knowledge with nothing else to do but bash the lesser knowledgable. it going to be a long winter.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:21 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I think I am going to start a thread soon whining about the solipsism of the more "experienced" members on these threads compared to the lack of knowledge and forethought showed in the average noob.....

Sure, to hell with the HELPMENOWWWWWWW crowd but there is a reason these message boards are here, and its not for you to ***** about noobs or show off how much you think you know. Of course, farbeit for me to assume the internet would be capable of producing an adult that acts like one......
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 AM
cumquat

HELP MY RUSTLER VXL WONT STOPP WEELING WHEN I PULL THET TRIIGGER IT IS RUNNING 3S HEPL PLZ ALSO HOW DO I CHANG THE TIRS THE ONES ON THE TRUCK R BALD ALSO WHY DOES IT KEEP BRAKING WEN I HIT A WALL AT TOP SPED

if you can read that, you either are 12 or you read a LOT of posts by 12 year olds.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: cumquat

HELP MY RUSTLER VXL WONT STOPP WEELING WHEN I PULL THET TRIIGGER IT IS RUNNING 3S HEPL PLZ ALSO HOW DO I CHANG THE TIRS THE ONES ON THE TRUCK R BALD ALSO WHY DOES IT KEEP BRAKING WEN I HIT A WALL AT TOP SPED

if you can read that, you either are 12 or you read a LOT of posts by 12 year olds.
Both
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

ah i get it, people with superior knowledge with nothing else to do but bash the lesser knowledgable. it going to be a long winter.
Apparently you haven't seen the questions being asked. Yes, it's going to be a long winter, but only because the groundhog saw his shadow in advance.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 AM
edwal07

Hey guys,
All kidding aside. Have you ever stopped to think what the National Average for reading comprehension is in the US? About the 9th grade level or less! Then there is the matter of common sense! That in its self is another whole ball of wax. Just because many can read the words in a manual they have no clue, or do not understand what they have read! The mental aptitude of understanding varies from person to person, some are mechanicaly inclined, others are a whiz at math. At work I had a mechanic ask me a question on installing a part and torque values. I gave him the manual and turned it to the pages he needed and told him here is the information, you can follow the instructions and learn for yourself if you get into a tight spot let me know. However about 10 minutes later he came over to me with the book and stated very quitely, "I know you are trying to help but I cannot read." This was from a 24yr old. No one in the shop knew! Now how stupid do you think I felt. To make a long story short do not ASSUME some can comprehend what is written on your level. Some can, some cannot, so I would hold the smart replies and egotistic remarks until you KNOWFORA FACT just who you are responding to!
Nuf said!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I guess my question would be why it so offends some people that questions are asked that most of us learned the answer to the first week we entered the hobby. If you think there is a thread that offends you or is below your level, ignore it. I personally have asked questions here that I thought I knew the answer to simply because I wanted to start a dialog and get everyone else's perspective. What is wrong with that? And finding a definitive answer in the search forum is a crap shoot at best.

For example, I am attempting to cover an old bipe with Koverall. I have the Koverall on the plane. Do I shrink it before or after applying a couple coats of Nitrate? Now, I could probably do a search on "Koverall" or "applying Koverall" and get several hundred threads to read through, most of which will have absolutely nothing to do with the question I am pondering. But there might be three or four people here with direct answers to the question. They give me the answer, I go do my thing, and anyone who is put off by the question in any way can simply ignore it. No problem.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
The Hedgehog

Here's the deal. Car forums are much different than the airplane forums. In the car forums you can see the same question every other thread some days. in fact if you searched for broken rustler, I bet you would find 3,456 threads on the same issue.

I don't notice any of this in the airplane forums.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cerealkilla024

I think I am going to start a thread soon whining about the solipsism of the more ''experienced'' members on these threads compared to the lack of knowledge and forethought showed in the average noob.....

Sure, to hell with the HELP ME NOWWWWWWW crowd but there is a reason these message boards are here, and its not for you to ***** about noobs or show off how much you think you know. Of course, farbeit for me to assume the internet would be capable of producing an adult that acts like one......
Hey we don't get paid to help people out all day, That gives us the right to have a laugh now and then...
Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: edwal07

Hey guys,
All kidding aside. Have you ever stopped to think what the National Average for reading comprehension is in the US? About the 9th grade level or less! Then there is the matter of common sense! That in its self is another whole ball of wax. Just because many can read the words in a manual they have no clue, or do not understand what they have read! The mental aptitude of understanding varies from person to person, some are mechanicaly inclined, others are a whiz at math. At work I had a mechanic ask me a question on installing a part and torque values. I gave him the manual and turned it to the pages he needed and told him here is the information, you can follow the instructions and learn for yourself if you get into a tight spot let me know. However about 10 minutes later he came over to me with the book and stated very quitely, ''I know you are trying to help but I cannot read.'' This was from a 24yr old. No one in the shop knew! Now how stupid do you think I felt. To make a long story short do not ASSUME some can comprehend what is written on your level. Some can, some cannot, so I would hold the smart replies and egotistic remarks until you KNOW FOR A FACT just who you are responding to!
Nuf said!
Sorry, but if you are on an INTERNET FORUM where people WRITE WORDS and you cannot read, there is a pretty good chance you aren't going to figure out what's being said anyway.

If you did not learn to read, that is not our problem. No matter what, any solution posted here will be in these heiroglyphic-esque things called "words"; if you can't decipher these symbols and assemble them into a coherent thought, there is a problem in one of two places:

1: The writer of the response is incapable of making a comprehendable thought
2: The reader of the response is incapable of interpreting a comprehendable thought

More often than not, the problem lies in #1. And it's not because of lack of education; it's because the person in question does not have enough respect for the reader to assemble his thoughts coherently. And if they are incapable of interpreting a properly laid out thought made from written words, that is not our problem.

The sad thing is, there are people for whom English is a second, or even third, language that apologize for their poor English. And then you have people whose only language is English, and they can't use it in a manner that can be deciphered by the reader. Guess which one typically writes better?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:48 PM
LewAshby
Banned

This thread isn't about who is superior than the next, it is about the lack of trying and expecting someone else to do all the work for them. This is not just limited to RC vehicles either...

There is a difference between not understanding and not willing to even try at all.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
redfisher1974

You hit the nail on the head Chuck.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
edwal07

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Hey guys,
All kidding aside. Have you ever stopped to think what the National Average for reading comprehension is in the US? About the 9th grade level or less! Then there is the matter of common sense! That in its self is another whole ball of wax. Just because many can read the words in a manual they have no clue, or do not understand what they have read! The mental aptitude of understanding varies from person to person, some are mechanicaly inclined, others are a whiz at math. At work I had a mechanic ask me a question on installing a part and torque values. I gave him the manual and turned it to the pages he needed and told him here is the information, you can follow the instructions and learn for yourself if you get into a tight spot let me know. However about 10 minutes later he came over to me with the book and stated very quitely, ''I know you are trying to help but I cannot read.'' This was from a 24yr old. No one in the shop knew! Now how stupid do you think I felt. To make a long story short do not ASSUME some can comprehend what is written on your level. Some can, some cannot, so I would hold the smart replies and egotistic remarks until you KNOWFORA FACT just who you are responding to!
Nuf said!
Sorry, but if you are on an INTERNET FORUM where people WRITE WORDS and you cannot read, there is a pretty good chance you aren't going to figure out what's being said anyway.

If you did not learn to read, that is not our problem. No matter what, any solution posted here will be in these heiroglyphic-esque things called "words"; if you can't decipher these symbols and assemble them into a coherent thought, there is a problem in one of two places:

2: The reader of the response is incapable of interpreting a comprehendable thought

More often than not, the problem lies in #1. And it's not because of lack of education; it's because the person in question does not have enough respect for the reader to assemble his thoughts coherently. And if they are incapable of interpreting a properly laid out thought made from written words, that is not our problem.

The sad thing is, there are people for whom English is a second, or even third, language that apologize for their poor English. And then you have people whose only language is English, and they can't use it in a manner that can be deciphered by the reader. Guess which one typically writes better?
Sorry? See YOU did not comprehend my whole post. It was an example explaining that not everyone comprehends something like others but we take for granted that they can. And if someone does not know how to read is not YOUR problem? What if everyone said exactly what you did? Would anyone know how to read?Would you know or be where you are today? I doubt it! My point was that yes reading comprehension and KNOWINGlittle about something is a perfect reason to ask questions. However on all the RCU Forums people respond exactly like you. It's not my problem! Or why are you so stupid?
Yes I agree there are those who would rather let someone do all the work for them. Then there are those who are very intelligent and do things that others cannot JUST for the sake of making the world a better place and expanding knowledge. But just browsing thru the forums you can see that is not the case.
There is nothing better than showing, instructing, or giving someone knowledge and thensee what they are capable of. If they go forward and learnfrom what you havegiven them it is a satisfying feeling. If not, well then if you did your best and they did nothing with whatyou gave them THEN you can say at least you tried!
Thank you for letting me say my peace. We can say we agree to disagree! That's what makes the world go round.
Outta here, Happy New Years!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TBJ, you are not helping.. how about answer my question.. and I didn't understand what you wrote below...

If you did not learn to read, that is not our problem. No matter what, any solution posted here will be in these heiroglyphic-esque things called ''words''; if you can't decipher these symbols and assemble them into a coherent thought, there is a problem in one of two places:

Old 12-28-2010, 03:19 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Chuck Finley

This thread isn't about who is superior than the next, it is about the lack of trying and expecting someone else to do all the work for them. This is not just limited to RC vehicles either...

There is a difference between not understanding and not willing to even try at all.

Very well said!

There's also this;

Reading is fundamental.
Comprehension is an acquired skill.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

It's a little of both. On one hand, you're right, there's lots of ignorant people who can't/won't do their own research. That's annoying and a waste of bandwidth, and I'm with you. On the other hand, you have elitist "experienced" guys who enjoy holding their limited information power over newbies. I've noticed many people on this forum seem to be increasingly intolerant of any kind of question, even not-so dumb ones.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Common Sense isn't so common.

Laziness is very common. I'd say more common than Common Sense is un common, so Laziness wins. People are lazy, however:

1/ Forum Search features never work as well as Search Engines.

2/ Some newbies are new to forums as well.

And don't forget;

People who get some good knowledge in a specific hobby (or whatever) and then think everyone else who know less are stupid, really need their arse kicked.

Personal Pet Peeve....people use IMHO, but it's obvious there was nothing Humble in their Opinion.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:04 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Use beadlock. Oh wait that is for full size race cars.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 PM
FahrtAutoRC

You all were noobs at one point or another tho and whether you learned it on your own or had the internet or even a message board like this to help you, you didnt learn it all without some form of help. If somebody comes on asking a question about something you find to be blatantly obvious or simple after a little searching thats fine, its not their fault. If you dont feel like helping them then what is wrong with moving on to the next thread and ignoring it? For being the little know-it-alls that some of you are, ya sure have a knack for acting like a ten year old on a playground. In fact, all the whining in the world about this makes you look as simple as the questions they ask. It is a fairly overwhelming hobby to get into and if someone does have a problem figuring something out there is nothing wrong with either A: Helping them out, or at least pointing them in the right direction, or B: ignoring them and moving on with your life.

I am sure the message boards are here for more than just to show off your latest build or brag about what you have. Message boards are usually put into place as a community of similarly-interested people to share ideas, have fun, and HELPEACHOTHER. Sitting around whining like a child about the redundancy of a simple question is more childish than a group of grown men sitting around talking and bragging about their toy trucks anyway. These posts about the redundant questions are, in themselves, incredibly redundant and are usually akin to walking into the doctors office saying "Doc, it hurts when I bang my head off of the wall." . Doc's reply will usually be "Well stop doing that"
Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 PM
redfisher1974

having a Bad day killer?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 PM
psb667

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Here's the deal. Car forums are much different than the airplane forums. In the car forums you can see the same question every other thread some days. in fact if you searched for broken rustler, I bet you would find 3,456 threads on the same issue.

I don't notice any of this in the airplane forums.
search starting with why does the AMA do (insert complaint here) it will scare you a little
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I Iz 733t Hazxors Rc KnOWleDGe GOd!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 AM
LewAshby
Banned

How many people actually read the FAQ & Read Me First threads of any new message board that they visit regardless of the subject matter?

While the search on this site may not work very well, there are other sites where there is no problem of the search engine working. Sometimes the search parameters are either too vague or too narrow to get the desired result.

As far as the "elitist attitude" that some posts are only focusing on while disregarding everything else: It seems that the ones posting the questions are asking for the "elitist attitude". First off, there is no clear explanation of their problems or goals. Grammar and spelling are so bad that unless one grew up with the Internet since birth, people with a formal education will have issues decoding what they are thinking. Falling short of demanding the answer that they want to hear is offensive and a waste of time. If one doesn't give the correct answer within their time frame, right before their world ends, then the first person that gives the wrong answer has wasted all their time. 9 out of 10 times, the people that do get help have learned that all they have to do is ask for answers to their problems without having to do anything else. These people do not learn more on their own or even pass along their newly inquired information, most of the time they will just keep asking the same questions over and over.

When I have made the original topic, I did not think that it would be limited just to this forum or the subject of RC Vehicles in general.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:04 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Hey guys,
All kidding aside. Have you ever stopped to think what the National Average for reading comprehension is in the US? About the 9th grade level or less! Then there is the matter of common sense! That in its self is another whole ball of wax. Just because many can read the words in a manual they have no clue, or do not understand what they have read! The mental aptitude of understanding varies from person to person, some are mechanicaly inclined, others are a whiz at math. At work I had a mechanic ask me a question on installing a part and torque values. I gave him the manual and turned it to the pages he needed and told him here is the information, you can follow the instructions and learn for yourself if you get into a tight spot let me know. However about 10 minutes later he came over to me with the book and stated very quitely, ''I know you are trying to help but I cannot read.'' This was from a 24yr old. No one in the shop knew! Now how stupid do you think I felt. To make a long story short do not ASSUME some can comprehend what is written on your level. Some can, some cannot, so I would hold the smart replies and egotistic remarks until you KNOW FOR A FACT just who you are responding to!
Nuf said!

If you did not learn to read, that is not our problem. No matter what, any solution posted here will be in these heiroglyphic-esque things called ''words''; if you can't decipher these symbols and assemble them into a coherent thought, there is a problem in one of two places:

Sorry? See YOU did not comprehend my whole post. It was an example explaining that not everyone comprehends something like others but we take for granted that they can. And if someone does not know how to read is not YOUR problem? What if everyone said exactly what you did? Would anyone know how to read? Would you know or be where you are today? I doubt it! My point was that yes reading comprehension and KNOWING little about something is a perfect reason to ask questions. However on all the RCU Forums people respond exactly like you. It's not my problem! Or why are you so stupid?
Yes I agree there are those who would rather let someone do all the work for them. Then there are those who are very intelligent and do things that others cannot JUST for the sake of making the world a better place and expanding knowledge. But just browsing thru the forums you can see that is not the case.
There is nothing better than showing, instructing, or giving someone knowledge and then see what they are capable of. If they go forward and learn from what you have given them it is a satisfying feeling. If not, well then if you did your best and they did nothing with what you gave them THEN you can say at least you tried!
Thank you for letting me say my peace. We can say we agree to disagree! That's what makes the world go round.
Outta here, Happy New Years!
You're absolutely wrong. ThunderbirdJunkie understood your whole post. He simply disagreed with it in every way conceivable. The fact of the matter is, you didn't understand what ThunderbirdJunkie said.
If you can't read, that is not ThunderbirdJunkie's problem. If you can't read, and you're working on ThunderbirdJunkie's car, truck, motorcycle, airplane, or dirigible, that IS his problem, but he isn't going to take pity on you simply because you are incapable of reading and/or deciphering what's written. The problem with RCU and other forums like RCU is not ThunderbirdJunkie, nor is it people like ThunderbirdJunkie, the problem is the people that are too lazy to:
A: read a well-written response to their problem
B: bother reading
C: consider the fact that maybe their problem is not unique to them, and perhaps they should seek out another avenue for their problem; IE a Google search
D: all of the above
E: needed something to fill out the "E" spot
F: YOU yourself need to learn how to read and comprehend the written word.

If you are too lazy to try to understand what is written, as you seem to be, then you can go straight to hell. If you don't have enough respect for your forum-mates to use "you" instead of "u", "to" instead of "2", etc, then you really don't deserve a response at all. If you genuinely don't understand after trying, and are still capable of asking a legitimate question out of not understanding, or desiring further explanation, that is fine. The fact of the matter is, far too many people prefer to simply ignore the well-written responses and continue to ask the exact same question using the exact same wording.

Ignoring the rules of the written English language is completely inexcusable and absurd. ThunderbirdJunkie has just gotten home from a night of hard drinking and complaining about women; please, inform him if there is anything about this post that does not make sense. If so, please let him know what, because after slaughtering a 12 pack of Amber Bock and several Cap'n and Pepsis, he is probably not quite making the sense he should.
ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

TBJ, you are not helping.. how about answer my question.. and I didn't understand what you wrote below...
Oh, LB, you so crazy[&:]
ORIGINAL: cerealkilla024

You all were noobs at one point or another tho and whether you learned it on your own or had the internet or even a message board like this to help you, you didnt learn it all without some form of help. If somebody comes on asking a question about something you find to be blatantly obvious or simple after a little searching thats fine, its not their fault. If you dont feel like helping them then what is wrong with moving on to the next thread and ignoring it? For being the little know-it-alls that some of you are, ya sure have a knack for acting like a ten year old on a playground. In fact, all the whining in the world about this makes you look as simple as the questions they ask. It is a fairly overwhelming hobby to get into and if someone does have a problem figuring something out there is nothing wrong with either A: Helping them out, or at least pointing them in the right direction, or B: ignoring them and moving on with your life.

I am sure the message boards are here for more than just to show off your latest build or brag about what you have. Message boards are usually put into place as a community of similarly-interested people to share ideas, have fun, and HELP EACH OTHER. Sitting around whining like a child about the redundancy of a simple question is more childish than a group of grown men sitting around talking and bragging about their toy trucks anyway. These posts about the redundant questions are, in themselves, incredibly redundant and are usually akin to walking into the doctors office saying ''Doc, it hurts when I bang my head off of the wall.'' . Doc's reply will usually be ''Well stop doing that''
You're right, to a large extent cerealkilla. ThunderbirdJunkie didn't have the glorious Intertubes at his disposal when he was a newbie in this hobby, but he completely understands what you're saying.

Even if it's a commonly asked question like "My car gets hot...do I go up or down on pinion size?" or "my ESC gets hot but my motor stays fine, but my battery gets hot, too...how do I solve this?" are completely acceptable.

The problem arises when people simply don't read the instructions.

Today at the LHS was a fantastic example.

An EFlite Blade MCX2 came in; didn't fly properly.

The most flight time they got out of it was 2 minutes, but after two flights they weren't able to get anything out of it. They brought the helicopter in with the instructions, battery, charger, and helicopter;
There were TWO batteries in the transmitter, none in the charger, and the instructions HADN'T EVEN BEEN OPENED.

They wanted to RETURN their DEFECTIVE helicopter. They didn't even read the friggin instructions! After a PROPER charge and the batteries placed in the helicopter (THE HELICOPTER COMES WITH EIGHT AA BATTERIES AND THE TRANSMITTER ONLY REQUIRES FOUR! IT HAD TWO IN THE TRANSMITTER AND 0 IN THE CHARGER WHEN IT CAME TO THE SHOP!)

This is the type of person we're discussing here. Cerealkilla, you are not a stupid guy, and the questions you ask are perfectly legitimate...but the questions to which Chuck refers are 100% directly related to the type of person that doesn't bother reading instructions before they open something and drive it for the first time. Yes, if you're new, you're bound to have questions. It's fine if you have questions; that's absolutely normal and expected. However, to ask questions without reading about the $300+ toy you just acquired is absolutely inane. There is no reason for somebody to be so irresponsible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.