Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Problem cant fall asleep

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:26 PM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem cant fall asleep

hi im having problems recently im having a hard time falling asleep when its really bad im awake just lying in bed upto 4am just not able to get my brain to sleep , its pissing me off , im going to be 31 soon so i dont know if its like a hormonal thing lol . its like i go to bed and my mind is racing with constant thoughts , the only way i can get to sleep is if i drink half a bottle of wine or port or strong 40% contreu orange liquer lol, its messing me up cos i need to be fully rested and awake for work the next day and im like a zombie , i havnt tried sleeping pills yet, but if this thing continues i might need to talk to a doctor or something . does anyone else suffer this or have any remedies?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problem cant fall asleep

i have the same issue too, last night i was up till 2 then woke at 4:42 then woke for work at 6[]

i have found sleeping with a slow fan (such as a 20" box fan) helps. also, if i do a little exercise before i go to bed it helps a little, or if i do something that racks my bain (like fixing a rc, playing bass guitar, ect)and immediatly going to bed also helps.

also chia tea brewed with only whole milk and sugar gets me sleepy.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:46 PM
ElectricGuy007

I have the same issue as well. A Glass of Milk does the trick for me. Im out like a light....
Yes in the past a fan always helped me easier to get to sleep as well.
Im also almost 31 as well. So it might have something to do with becoming middle-aged.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

iv had trouble sleeping my hole life.  when everything gets still and quiet my mind seems to go crazy.  an infinite amount of thoughts all at once non-stop.  its as if my mind is not stimulated so its trying to stimulate itself.  i even have this problem when im physically fatigued (iv been told that people with ADD often have this problem) then about 15 years ago i realized i would fall asleep every night listening to "love line" (radio show).  i was out by 11:30.  that's how i went to sleep in high school.  currently i listen to music.  put together a play list on the old ipod.  set the volume at a level where its easy to hear but low enough to tune out.  concentrate on the music.  my mind will wonder but it always comes back to the music.  im out like a light within a couple hours.

iv also found that caffeine knocks me out.  down a few cups of coffee and i struggle to stay awake and alert. 
and alcohol mellows me out and wires me.  can't sleep when im drunk unless i drink enough to cause me to pass out.  i don't recommend ether one of those "remedy's" to anyone else though.

and ill spare ya the details of waking up for no reason in the middle of the night.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless it's a random thing, it's caused by stress. I have never felt stressed, but I was. Quitting my job fixed it. Blood pressure also dropped.

For remedies other than quitting your job: A drink or two can help. So can sex. An orgasm releases a natural sedative promoting sleep. So wives and GFs take note.....guys can't help falling asleep after sex.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:35 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

ORIGINAL: Argess

Unless it's a random thing, it's caused by stress. I have never felt stressed, but I was. Quitting my job fixed it. Blood pressure also dropped.

For remedies other than quitting your job: A drink or two can help. So can sex. An orgasm releases a natural sedative promoting sleep. So wives and GFs take note.....guys can't help falling asleep after sex.
that never worked for me. i could tap the girlfriend and then go re-shingle the roof anddetail the car
Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I once read in an article that attempting to visualize a black sphere will knock you out pretty quick. Something to do with how hard it is to visualize a 3d black thing on a black background, puts a load on your brain.

You say it takes you half a bottle of port? If you can handle that much, that must mean you are a regular drinker... getting drunk once a week can form a slight mental dependence. A dependence can cause sleep problems. I used to drink pretty heavily (still do drink a lot), it caused all sorts of sleeping problems. Pot helps... but too much and you will also end up with sleeping problems. Personally, I can only sleep well in cool, completely dark rooms.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:54 PM
The_Shark

seriously some chia tea steeped in milk, knocks me out, it also tastes great.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:26 PM
tommygun32

Not a lot of advice to offer here guys....[&o]

I began a career as a night club dj at age 19. Into bed around 4 or 5 am and sleep till mid-day at least. I did that till I was 32 or so, so that timing is pretty ingrained into my psyche. I have a 'normal' life now, but don't get to sleep until AT LEAST 1 am or so and wake up by 8:30 am. It helps I live less than 5 minutes from work and it only takes me about 10 minutes from out of bed to out the door....and a wife that HAS TO be in bed no later than 10 pm.

I have previously used meditation, full blown excersise, sex, non-stop go go go all day long, booze, etc, etc. I'd say if it persists, check out medical advice. But try to keep it as holistic as possible. Addiction to sleeping pills isn't a good thing either....[:'(]

Good luck man.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

The only time I cant fall asleep is when Im anticipating a sweet pow day on the mountain.... Then I buy some nyquill and knock myself out.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:10 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: proanti1

I once read in an article that attempting to visualize a black sphere will knock you out pretty quick. Something to do with how hard it is to visualize a 3d black thing on a black background, puts a load on your brain.

You say it takes you half a bottle of port? If you can handle that much, that must mean you are a regular drinker... getting drunk once a week can form a slight mental dependence. A dependence can cause sleep problems. I used to drink pretty heavily (still do drink a lot), it caused all sorts of sleeping problems. Pot helps... but too much and you will also end up with sleeping problems. Personally, I can only sleep well in cool, completely dark rooms.
im not a heavy drinker at all , i hardly touch the stuff , i need to drink that much cos my liver is very healthy lol and i have to drink heaps before i feel anything lol i dont know if thats normal .
Old 01-01-2011, 05:22 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Do something creative like drawing, painting, writing...

Learn something new like computer programming, electronics, higher math...
Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Read a book!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:27 AM
ka9fax
My Feedback: (9)

Wow, was reading the first few posts.......umm....any of u guys see the movie, The Fourth Kind??
Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Watch the Matrix - that will put you to sleep right away.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:07 AM
jcrosk

I went through the same thing and it continues. It started when I was around 30 and it still happens at 40. I quit drinking caffiene after 6pm and cut down my sugar intake which helped out a lot but there are nights where the problem still persist. I found for me that stress is the main reason my mind starts racing when I try to go to sleep; I just can't shut down and go to sleep. In my case I think a lack of excercise also contributes to the problem. Anymore when this happens I just get out of bed, get on the floor and do as many push ups and then as many situps as I can do. Then relax on the floor a bit before getting back in bed. Most of the time this works for me when it doesn't, I get on RCU and do some reading.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 AM
crustychief

No Caffeine after 4, no food after 7, take a walk around the block after dinner, hydrate during the day ( at least 6 glasses of water ) and be in bed by 10.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jcrosk makes a point about sugar. The onset of diabetis can cause high blood sugar and subsequent insommnia. Not that a doctor told me that, but experience seems to match up with it. Maybe see your doctor and ask for a blood test.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I use Peace of Mind tea, it's my own herbal blend https://www.thegraywizard.com/Loose_Leaf_Tea.htmld drink a cup an hour before bedtime. If you can find something like thi sclose to you, give it a try. Great for blood pressure too.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:30 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: ka9fax

Wow, was reading the first few posts.......umm....any of u guys see the movie, The Fourth Kind??
YES i have seen this movie , i wish i hadnt seen it lol , there was something so odd about it it just freaks me out i couldnt sleep normal again for a few weeks after seeing that crap, when it went from the acting scenes to the REAL scenes that was the most freaky thing ive ever seen .alot of discussion on youtube said that was demonic possesion i dunno , i usually wake up at 3:00AM to 3:10AM to 3:20AM every single night , they say thats the mocking hour for jesus christ lol because 3am is the reverse cos jesus died on the cross at 3PM , they say if you keep waking up at 3am your possesed or something LOL . either way i never want to watch the Fourth kind ever again , i even deleted the saved movie off my computer hard drive LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Niquil
Old 01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
smittyjames

I have the exact opposite problem. I can fall asleep jus zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 01-01-2011, 06:09 PM
RCRON
My Feedback: (33)

Just read your AMA magazine, thats areal sleeper!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 PM
buggyboy2010

I have a suggestion, But some conservative views would not agree with it and RCU wouldn't think very "highly" and or Your just not that type of person, I find the method works very well and has been scientifically proven to be a great remedy for individuals who have troubles falling asleep or have RLS ( Restless leg syndrome ), But if You want something that's more on the "legal" front, Go ask Your doctor and I'm sure they can prescribe You with a prescription. 
Old 01-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Melatonin in pill form helps me fall asleep. It is supposedly what your bady makes naturally to induce sleep. It has worked miracles for me... Wal Mart or Costco has it. In the herbal section.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.