Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more
Reload this Page >

Last race I raced was Worlds in Detroit 93 and Team Traxxas found their BRAKE.

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Last race I raced was Worlds in Detroit 93 and Team Traxxas found their BRAKE.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Supercharged6-71
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last race I raced was Worlds in Detroit 93 and Team Traxxas found their BRAKE.

The last big race I was in was the worlds in Detroit. This was 1992 or 1993. I raced the inferno, my son who was 12 raced the Nitro Hawk. The brake system on this Nitro Hawk had a arm that pressed against the Clutch Bell. All you old timers know what I am talking about. I never liked that Brake.
I ran the Inferno and liked that brake setup. So I adapted that brake to the Nitro Hawk and off to the worlds we go. After a couple of heats the Traxxas Team come over and ask to look at our truck. My son was so proud, The Traxxas guys want to see his truck, I said sure, I was just as proud.
Well years go by and life happens and I get out of remotes. Then after over 20 years I go into the local Hobby shop and decide its time for all the kids to have an RC Car. I pick up the Traxxas Revo and what do I see, That Inferno Brake setup put on that Revo. I looked at other Traxxas products, sure enough there it is the Inferno Brake setup on them. I about fell over. Who would have thought working at my kitchen table would lead to a complete product revamp. My son John was just as amazed as what the outcome of this was. I have friends who said you should have got a patent. I said who would have thought, and that would have been nice but when my son and I went back in time and relived all this not all the dollars in the world would make either one of us any happier.
Tony Sweet
Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Supercharged6-71

Default RE: Last race I raced was Worlds in Detroit 93 and Team Traxxas found their BRAKE.

Those where the Days
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM
ElectricGuy007

Default RE: Last race I raced was Worlds in Detroit 93 and Team Traxxas found their BRAKE.

Very interesting story...
I have many stories to share, in 2003 my first race was with a traxxas rustler, I ending up placing 2nd
without even having ball bearings in the car, back then Traxxas had brass bushings in thier cars.
My first trophy was with that XL-01 model rustler.

In 2004-2005 I raced a Kyosho Twin force and Traxxas E-maxx, but found out I did better
on the track with the E-maxx and placed higher on the podium, the Twin Force was a good truck
just solid axle trucks dont like big jumps, where'as the E-maxx shrugged it off like jumps were outa style.
I also had plenty of setup help to get my E-maxx to perform against T-maxx's and Revo's.

2006-2007 BEST CLUB RACING YEARS OF MY LIFE
My jump from Monster Truck to Modified 4wd Buggies
I raced a Tamiya Gravel Hound even thou it was cheap against 2wd Stadium Trucks, that gravel hound
was setup pretty well and could pretty much leave them in the dust.
Later in 2006 I started racing a DF03 Dark Impact against other stadium trucks and other Dark Impacts.
3 of us showed up each week with a Dark Impact. I WON EVERY SINGLE TIME, and eventually those
people stopped showing up so I ended up racing against the Stadium Trucks.

2007-2008 STARTING TO GET SERIOUS NOW
I went from little small club races to racing against sponsored drivers at Albion Illinios Rectors Raceway.
I raced an Associated B44 during this time.
Ben Ellis, Adam Rayls and others I couldnt manage to beat, but there was faster drivers in my area
that could take them. I was in the fight of my life racing against PRO DRIVERS. 2008 was my
first time against them, and I just couldnt place high enough to get Trophies.

2008-2009 TAKING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL UP
Someone in my Area bought a Tamiya 501x and I became entrigued to get one of these cars.
I got a WCE version of the car and was impressed to how much fun the build was and setup.
He ended up selling his 501x way too early, I was hoping I could race my car against him.
He shows up with a B44 instead and I was immediatly disappointed, because I wanted
to race my 501x WCE against his 501x, he sold it before I could test my skills against his.
But I knew I wasnt gonna stand a chance just wanted to at least try.

2009-2010 MY DEBUT INTO THE ADDICTIVE WORLD OF DIRT OVAL RACING
I raced a Losi Slider for 7 months in 2009 never broke a single part on the car except 1 front bulkhead
I replaced it with an aluminum one and never had an issue until my idler gear stripped,
so I put a metal one in the tranny so nothing like that happened again.
Had alot of fun driving in circles and still do. All tracks down south have Oval Racing.
My 2wd Traxxas Slash is awesome on oval now, because a PRO DRIVER in Illinios showed
up in the Nortonville Area and got my truck properly setup for oval.

2011 MY DEBUT INTO CARPET TOURING CAR RACING
Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Supercharged6-71

You have raced way more then me. I was living in CA and moved back to Illinois in the early 90's. When living in CA I worked all the time I raced when I could. Then after moving back to Illinois the racing was far between. No local races I had to travel 100 miles each weekend to race so I dropped out. I recieved a new b4.1 RC10 and a new indoor track has opened so I am racing again, well I am going to start racing again.
Before it was all battery, not anymore. Years past you had to gear to get 4 mins. That is not the case today. Now you gear for what you need and run forever. One reason I went Nitro. Lipos and brushless has brought me back to electric. I will never run Nitro again.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:44 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was actually just driving a Hawk about 10 minutes ago. Traxxas held onto that brake setup all the way into the early 00's for some reason. I personally have always liked racing small block nitro, but yeah... run time and ease doesnt compare to the new electrics. I can throw a two cell lipo in my pan and be able to run a 45 min heat. Nothing like the old days. I remember when the Trinity D4 and the Novak cyclone were all the rage.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Supercharged6-71

I was wondering if they changed that brake setup. I also installed a chasis brace that went from the front to the back. In my opinion the chasis flexed to much. It was real simple to upgrade that brake setup. Kyosho had all the parts needed for that conversion, it all came with the burns and inferno. I used all Kyosho parts.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Supercharged6-71

You have raced way more then me. I was living in CA and moved back to Illinois in the early 90's. When living in CA I worked all the time I raced when I could. Then after moving back to Illinois the racing was far between. No local races I had to travel 100 miles each weekend to race so I dropped out. I recieved a new b4.1 RC10 and a new indoor track has opened so I am racing again, well I am going to start racing again.
Before it was all battery, not anymore. Years past you had to gear to get 4 mins. That is not the case today. Now you gear for what you need and run forever. One reason I went Nitro. Lipos and brushless has brought me back to electric. I will never run Nitro again.

Eh? I used to have a nitro RS4....the darn thing would not tune no matter what i did(stupid needles)
...I traded it off several years ago...Nitro is defintly not for me either.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 AM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard there's a track around here, but not sure if I'd really get into racing much. I'm not really the competitive sort, and most of my stuff is old and/or basic because that's what I like. I suppose my DF03 Dark Impact might still be competitive, but it has four bald tires and a lot of basher wear and tear.