Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

windows 7 update not working on laptop

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:28 AM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows 7 update not working on laptop

i dont know what happened but my laptop is not updating anymore it keeps coming up that its at 79% and it wont update anymore , i go to manual windows update it starts searching then after a while it says error , Is this happening to anyone else or is it just my screwy computer
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Default RE: windows 7 update not working on laptop

Is your copy Windows legal ?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: Chuck Finley

Is your copy Windows legal ?
yes it is legal
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Both versions?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: Chuck Finley

Both versions?
i got the laptop from the shop it came installed with everything legal
Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I turn Windows Update off entirely, usually within 20 minutes of installing Windows. Don't sweat it if the updates won't finish, if anything it's a good thing. Less bloat.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my personal laptop is XP, i wont have it any other way, ive tried vista and 7 and they both suck. this comp im on is a vista and is a royal POS.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Casper06

I hate Vista that is the biggest piece of crap. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been and I really like it. Do you have a dual boot setup on your laptop? Your thread title is confusing me. Try doing a system restore, also go to google and download the free version of Spyware Doctor.

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_...ler.html?hl=en
Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM
ElectricGuy007

My brother has Vista on his laptop and he completly hates it. Mine has Windows 7.
And yes Windows 7 seems like the Vista we never got, it's totally not the same.
The updates automatically happen for me as well, but a couple months back setup didnt finish
and my computer didnt even install them.[&:] Thank god my computer didnt crash, I thought it did at first.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: Casper06

I hate Vista that is the biggest piece of crap. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been and I really like it. Do you have a dual boot setup on your laptop? Your thread title is confusing me. Try doing a system restore, also go to google and download the free version of Spyware Doctor.

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_...ler.html?hl=en
nah sorry i made a mistake lol i didnt realize what i typed lol , the laptop i have is just windows 7. and i have kaspersky full internet security everything is good . its just the update thing not working properly proberly better as the other posts mention lol
Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 AM
LewAshby
Banned

I've never heard of any software giving 3700 days (over 10 years) of updates unless it was a pirated version.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:26 AM

What's with all the Vista hate? I'm running it on my desktop right now. It runs great.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might try going to the Microsoft website and try updating from there. Usually a Download Wizard will start up and it may at least tell you what's up if the download won't go through.

Windows 7 is actually quite nice to use. The real problem is when you first try to get it set up. It's very difficult to find various things to make changes compared to XP. Selecting which program opens for a certain file extension appears to be an easy change, but Windows 7 doesn't always list all the programs that you need displayed to select the one you want to set as a default. Trying to find the program you want isn't easy either as the shortcuts don't always have the file destination info listed under properties. But one can get through all that...eventually.

The worst thing is Windows Live Mail. It has no password feature, and if someone else tries to check their hotmail, your contact list will suddenly contain all of their contacts and it's a bit of a pain to figure out how to delete their contacts and e-mail address from your WLM account.

But here's a word of warning. Do not download Windows Live Essentials 2011. It's horrible. Windows Live Mail is suddenly very cluttered with new toolbars and your left hand side, whihc can list your recieved mail, or sent, or whatever you select has a faint font for those e-mails already opened. Can't seem to change that, although the silly toolbar does have a icon that lets you change.....the colour of your name....and that's it. There is an alternate way to list e-mails that does show it in a dark font, but it leaves soemthing else out....can't remember what at the moment.

Windows Live Mail 2011 won't let you display an animated GIF either. You have to open it using Internet Explorer to see it as Windows 7 Photo Gallery won't display an animated GIF either. And so far, if I receive an e-mail with a bunch of pics, they all display as thumbnails, won't display where they were originally inserted in the e-mauil, and when you click "slideshow", only the pic selcted will show up and you can't advance to the next pic directly.

Worse yet is the Messenger Service (2011). Any contacts listed that you have blocked are so faint you can hardly read them. And there is no way to change that.

I'm still trying to work out some of the problems, and it may get better, but so far I don't like WLE 2011 at all. The Windows 7 platform isn't bad otherwise, once you have it set up and working properly.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 AM

The only reason I'm not running 7 right now is my ancient onboard audio doesn't get along with it. But I think Realtek updated the driver installer so I will be trying it as soon as Vista wears out.

I use Thunderbird, Firefox and Malwarebytes, so all of the Live nonsense is a moot concern.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Windows Vista was intentionally rushed out just like Windows ME before Windows XP was released.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 PM
splcrazy

/
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

ORIGINAL: LewAshby

I've never heard of any software giving 3700 days (over 10 years) of updates unless it was a pirated version.
its not a pirated version , its the full authentic version , with a hacked crack applied
There is no such thing as a "hacked crack"... there is a crack. And the crack changes scripts, which violate the EULA. Still considered a pirated piece of software. It was the full authentic version right up until you applied the crack to the install directory.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: LewAshby

Windows Vista was intentionally rushed out just like Windows ME before Windows XP was released.
Its been that way since windows 95 from what I remember, thats why they made 95 second edition. ME sucked, xp was good, vista sucks and 7 is good. If the pattern continues, dont buy the next version of windows.