Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 AM
CRockVet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any opinions?

http://www.sunherald.com/2011/02/08/...cal-flaws.html

sorry i should have posted in off topic.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Any opinions?

Well if the Government says it, that good enoguh for me [sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 AM
outdoorhunting

Well, let's see. If there is "no-fault of the manufactures. Who would THAT help? Let's see, hum, who could it be? Oh,my gosh, it just hit me ! The BIG manufacturers. Hum, -oh yeah, how about the unions. Gosh, that's got me thinking,- who's in bed with the unions???? OBAMA !!!!!!! Now, let's figure out who gets the " green wienie?? Oh, yeah, US, the consumer !!!!! That's what happens when the fox is guarding chicken house.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

A few years back, mid 90s I believe, Audi had the same problem. Uncontrolled acceleration. Many of these cases were documented and they actually found the cause. But times were better then for the American car manufacturers and the problem did not receive the press and media attention that the Toyota problem did. Now fast forward to 2009. The American auto manufacturing industry, as a whole, is in dire straits. A problem is alleged or actually found with the manufacturer of the best selling line of cars in the world. The sale of these cars hurt the American manufaturers badly. So if somebody were to blow this problem all out of proportion, who would benefit? You guessed it. Ford, GM and Chrysler. So if our illustrious government just put the bug in the proper ears to make a mountain out of this molehill, guess what happens. We get the Toyota run away problem.

Now, I am sure there were actually folks who suffered this run away problem and were scared out of their wits. But you would think that somebody could find the cause if it were a manufacturing defect. I am confident that there are many private firms out there who have looked at this problem and would love to find the cause and be an instant hero on a world wide scale. But nobody has found fault. Now that the American automobile manufacturing industry has recovered to some extent, I wonder how big that problem would be if it reared its ugly head today.

For years the domestic car manufactures were cramming the cars down our throats that they insisted we wanted while the Japanese were actually building the cars we wanted. And the Japanese quality was head and shoulders above the quality of the domestically manufactured cars. That gap has narrowed now. The domestics are actually trending toward building the cars we want and the quality is much better. But that change was forced on them. A good analogy is that 20 to 30 years ago, Michelin made the best tires in the world, so far ahead of everybody else that there really was no comparison. That gap has also narrowed. Now the domestics are making tires that are probably just as good as Michelin and last just as long, but people had to buy a lot of Michelin tires before the domestics got the message.

Anyhow, I belleve there probably was some kind of problem with Toyota cars not responding to throttle properly. But it could have been as simple as a floor mat shoved against the throttle pedal. And nobody paid any attention until somebody got the puddin scared out of them and then somebody else saw a chance to channel some of the Japanese sales to a dying American industry. How many Fords were bought during this time that would have been Toyotas if this media explosion had not happened? It's just a thought. Maybe it really didn't happen this way. But if anyone believes our government wouldn't orchestrate this kind of thing, I have a bridge I would like to sell.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:59 PM
moe7404

i read an article about how Buick was trying to make a fuel injection in 1954., course it ran on tubes. when it went under high voltage wires it would stop running. could that happen today? i bet a car maker doesnt emf harden there cars. ill bet my old Commodore computer is better emf hardened than the new cars.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 AM
outdoorhunting

I think a lot of these "manufacture's problems wouldn't really be a problem if the ambulance chaser lawyers didn't advertize, ""I Can Get You Money!!" If ya know what I mean !!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper
Anyhow, I belleve there probably was some kind of problem with Toyota cars not responding to throttle properly. But it could have been as simple as a floor mat shoved against the throttle pedal. And nobody paid any attention until somebody got the puddin scared out of them and then somebody else saw a chance to channel some of the Japanese sales to a dying American industry. How many Fords were bought during this time that would have been Toyotas if this media explosion had not happened? It's just a thought. Maybe it really didn't happen this way. But if anyone believes our government wouldn't orchestrate this kind of thing, I have a bridge I would like to sell.
If Bill couldn't get away with a like hanky panky in the White house, How could they keep this secret??

I think our over-sensationalizing media has some culpability as well.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 AM
outdoorhunting

Yup!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread is being moved to the off topic forum.

It will remain open as long as POLITICS ARE NOT DISCUSSED

If it gets political, I will have to lock it down