Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

sports memorabilia

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sports memorabilia

anyone here collect sports memorabilia? autographs, jerseys, helmets etc....

i'm looking for advice on how to get some items evaluated/authenticated.

i have a football autographed by the entire 1986 super bowl giants as well as 2 super bowl 25 (1990) lawrence taylor jerseys.

i've looked all around the net and haven't come up with too much info.

if anyone can help it would be great.

thanks.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:16 AM
The Hedgehog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sports memorabilia

They have appraiser's for sports memorabilia, I just don't know where to begin to look in CT.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 AM
kaiser01

thats what i need, an appraiser and someone to authenticate the signatures.

i have seen a helmet with all the sigs i have the ball go for $1700.00.
i also saw a ball with only two of the sigs go for over 2k.

if i do sell these the $$ will go in a special account we have set up for a new house.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:17 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Try this: www.yp.com
ORIGINAL: kaiser01

thats what i need, an appraiser and someone to authenticate the signatures.

i have seen a helmet with all the sigs i have the ball go for $1700.00.
i also saw a ball with only two of the sigs go for over 2k.

if i do sell these the $$ will go in a special account we have set up for a new house.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 AM
kaiser01

wise guy. lol

what makes you think i didn't call around first? all phone calls have yeilded are shops that want to under value the stuff so they can sell it. guy offered me 500 bux for a 2500 dollar football. yeah right. lol
Old 02-24-2011, 08:39 AM
The Hedgehog

Yeah you want to find out what the auction price would be so you can negotiate a selling price. I wish I could help though [:@]
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 AM
kaiser01

exactly. the only reason i posted it here is if there are any rc'ers that are into this kind of stuff.

i'm just a giants fan that needs some $$ and is willing to sell of some family treasures.

my mother would kill me if she heard i was looking to sell it, she gave me the ball 15 years ago.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I wasnt trying to be just sarcastic lol Well, a little, but not totally lol. The best you can do is find a sports shop that will not low-ball you (no pun intended) or take it to an actual apprasiser of sorts. Best thing you can do is call around, and you might even get MORE money for it by turning to the team's hometown. It also depends what condition the ball is in and how intact and legible the handwriting is, as well as (duh) authenticity.

Another thing to consider is that without a certificate of authenticity, nobody will pay you full price for it anyways, although authenticating it will cost around $100, they may also attach a solid monetary value to the ball.

And not to burst your bubble, but the reality of it is that ball might have fetched $3k even just five yearsago, but with the economy still in the crapper it may get no more than that $500. Id call and ask around, do online research as well, and simply go for the best and most recent offer. Hope this helps!

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

wise guy. lol

what makes you think i didn't call around first? all phone calls have yeilded are shops that want to under value the stuff so they can sell it. guy offered me 500 bux for a 2500 dollar football. yeah right. lol