Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Argumentative Members

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Argumentative Members

I thought it might be cabin fever over the winter when I first starting noticing an increase in bickering on RCU. Familiarity breeds contempt, and maybe too much time here and not RCing might have been the problem. But now it's well into the RC season for many of us but the bickering continues.

Interestingly, many are long time members, or at least ones with high post counts and have a history of being helpful and have always been well thought of.

Now it is a discussion forum, and many opinions are out there, so arguements are expected. However I see far too many posts that simply have no purpose other than to pick a fight or belittle someone on purpose.

RCU is a large forum, and I don't expect everyone to always play nice, but some of you guys need to get a grip on things. I've seen a really good RC forum die because of smart-aleck responses (particularly to Newbies). I don't think RCU will ever die, but I for one am getting a little tired of seeing so much crap here lately. There's plenty of other forums for me to go. I'm only a drop in the bucket when you consider the number of RCU members, but it would be a shame if others feel like I do and a significant number leave.

It's becoming unpleasant, and that's just plain to bad.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Argumentative Members

I believe it goes in phases and cycles. I mainly hang around in the large scale forums, where things are currently more civil and relaxed than they have ever been (at one time about 2 years ago, it was arguably the most problematic forum on all of RCU), despite my being missing for nearly a year (my gratitude to the mods who stepped up to the plate during my disappearance). However, I agree I have noticed the symptomatic bickering you describe, on my return, in more than one of the more popular forums. Particularly in off topic, general, and a couple of the monster truck forums.

Bear in mind, that there has been very little moderation on the car forums for a while, and people have become somewhat more brave. Now that I am (and some of the other moderators are) back, the forums that I/we frequent will be reigned in somewhat, but sadly I don't do electric and find it hard to motivate myself to go read threads that don't interest me in the slightest, in order to 'police' them, which is always a secondary function of a moderator, after helping, promoting the desired atmosphere by setting an example, and generally keeping an eye on things.

RCU has always had comparatively strict rules (for an internet forum), which were generally very evenly enforced, but there were still many people who felt that we curtailed their freedom of speech, and called us nazis or whatever. Those with a problem with authority and not enough education to understand why we do what we do, would ironically also be the first to cry 'suckage' if we allowed everyone to behave the way they think they should be able to get away with. Hence the prevalent need of a moderator to have a thick skin.

Also bear in mind, that especially with the low numbers of moderators at the moment, we are counting on members more than ever to report the posts they find bothersome, and I can't stress this enough. We can't be everywhere all the time, and would always prefer to receive too many reports than not enough.

Finally...welcome to the internet. It's amazing the size of a man's cahonies when he knows he is immune to any kind of meaningful retribution for behaving in exactly whichever way he pleases at any given moment.

EDIT: Would you mind pointing out any forums you see as particularly problematic lately?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh-oh. I didn't intend to take a poke at the Moderators. I'm sure the Mods are busy checking things out and fixing the offensive. And I suspect that's a fair amount of work. Most of what I'm talking about is pushy and taunting, more unpleasant and annoying than offensive.

What I'm trying to say is "Members; Moderate yourselves". And judging by Foxy's post of having too few Moderator's, makes it even more appropriate to do so.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:34 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I will admit I started a slight argument this week, but admitted I was wrong in the end once a link to the proper data was posted. My original argument was based off what turned out to be a half assed spec page by a hobby shop, seems they had final gear ratio labeled as roll out.

But there are a lot of people no matter how idiotic their argument is they are right, even though they have no experience in the field, and have 10 others saying they are dead wrong showing them things that say they are wrong. The only evidence they have to they are right is usually some post made by someone else without a clue on another forum (generally rc-monster, which seems to be home to the clueless masses)
Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grrrrrr blah blah blah, me right u wrong blah blah blah, cool story bro, blah blah blah.

im as bull-headed as the next guy, but i make sure im right before i say it, and i know when to stop, some people just let i ride and get ticked at letters on a white screen. trivial.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh. I never seem to have problems.. Every once in a while you get the "I know everything but im going to ask you anyways for advice just to disagree with everything you say" but other than that never any problems.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Eh. I never seem to have problems.. Every once in a while you get the ''I know everything but im going to ask you anyways for advice just to disagree with everything you say'' but other than that never any problems.
love those
Or the "Which RC should I buy" threads which ask for help picking an RC then after ppl give their input(and sometimes start a huge argument) they are like" Ohh I decided to buy something no one said or even heard of" than 2 weeks later they make a thread "help my RC broke this hobby sucks". Those threads seem to pop up on nitro more often.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Lunchboxer

Argumentative? I do not agree w/ this thread at all...

Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 AM
DarkFire989

I like the large scale forums as well. They are pretty level headed for the most part. It got out of hand when DC2 man was around.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 AM
mechanizeddeath

This is without a doubt one of my favorite forums. I think I may have broken the rules once or twice, but never had any real problems with the other users, moderators, or the forum itself. Overall, there's a reason I keep coming back here year after year.

I just ignore the people who try and start arguments over nothing. It simply isn't worth the energy.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 PM
lee172

I just stick with the Lounge.. no problems there... [8D]
Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Argess

Oh-oh. I didn't intend to take a poke at the Moderators. I'm sure the Mods are busy checking things out and fixing the offensive. And I suspect that's a fair amount of work. Most of what I'm talking about is pushy and taunting, more unpleasant and annoying than offensive.

What I'm trying to say is ''Members; Moderate yourselves''. And judging by Foxy's post of having too few Moderator's, makes it even more appropriate to do so.
It wasn't taken as a poke at all, honestly, I completely see where you're coming from.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:48 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats going on in here...
Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 AM
warheadforever

I thought it might be cabin fever over the winter when I first starting noticing an increase in bickering on RCU. Familiarity breeds contempt, and maybe too much time here and not RCing might have been the problem. But now it's well into the RC season for many of us but the bickering continues.

Interestingly, many are long time members, or at least ones with high post counts and have a history of being helpful and have always been well thought of.

Now it is a discussion forum, and many opinions are out there, so arguements are expected. However I see far too many posts that simply have no purpose other than to pick a fight or belittle someone on purpose.

RCU is a large forum, and I don't expect everyone to always play nice, but some of you guys need to get a grip on things. I've seen a really good RC forum die because of smart-aleck responses (particularly to Newbies). I don't think RCU will ever die, but I for one am getting a little tired of seeing so much crap here lately. There's plenty of other forums for me to go. I'm only a drop in the bucket when you consider the number of RCU members, but it would be a shame if others feel like I do and a significant number leave.

You, sir are completely correct my friend, once you left Foxy, they got Sheo to help keep things in control, and thenwhen he like fell of the face of the earth, we we stuck with no mods and it got crazy, [&:][] I am really glad that you are back, maybe I will start posting again to.

Mind you Foxy I still want to know what happened to that 1/5 scale chases scene you were going to do

P.S. Argress if I am one of the members you are referring to, I am really sorry, I hope I would never come off as being that way.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:43 AM
DarkFire989

His MCD Viper is gone I believe.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

You, sir are completely correct my friend, once you left Foxy, they got Sheo to help keep things in control, and thenwhen he like fell of the face of the earth, we we stuck with no mods and it got crazy, [&:][] I am really glad that you are back, maybe I will start posting again to.

Mind you Foxy I still want to know what happened to that 1/5 scale chases scene you were going to do

P.S. Argress if I am one of the members you are referring to, I am really sorry, I hope I would never come off as being that way.
we've had dale pop in time to time (dunno where he went haven't seen a post from him in awhile)
Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Finally...welcome to the internet. It's amazing the size of a man's cahonies when he knows he is immune to any kind of meaningful retribution for behaving in exactly whichever way he pleases at any given moment.

EDIT: Would you mind pointing out any forums you see as particularly problematic lately?

Bravo, Foxy!

I firmly believe that the anonymity of the internet has played a role in the decline of civility in society.

As to which forums may be more problematic, probably (but not definitively) the car forums due to what I perceive as a younger, less mature group. Not to say that age necessarily produces maturity. (Just look at me.)

jess
Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 PM
The_Shark

da deep da doop da dedilly dee da durp a dumb
Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

da deep da doop da dedilly dee da durp a dumb
Most articulate post ever.

It makes many points.

jess
Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Mr. Mugen

Shoooot...if you wanna see pro's doing it....go to the AMA forum. It has been a clown town over there since day one. Everyone is right and no one will admit it. I am talking baout the AMA section of RCU that is.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

sounds like the tank forum
tamiya vs henglong they start sounding like 4 year olds (mostly the tamiya guys) argument basically ends up my tanks better than yours cause it costs over 10X more (seriously they do heng longs are $70 vs $1000+ tamiyas [:@])
most the guys I find that start the arguments I'm pretty sure are retired from the way they talk
Old 05-14-2011, 04:53 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

tamiya vs henglong they start sounding like 4 year olds (mostly the tamiya guys) argument basically ends up my tanks better than yours cause it costs over 10X more (seriously they do heng longs are $70 vs $1000+ tamiyas [:@])
most the guys I find that start the arguments I'm pretty sure are retired from the way they talk
Well, its pretty much all Tamiya guys... not just the tank ones. I never thought someone would scream on the internet just to defend the honor of a frog, which is basically one of the worst rc cars ever made.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Well, its pretty much all Tamiya guys... not just the tank ones. I never thought someone would scream on the internet just to defend the honor of a frog, which is basically one of the worst rc cars ever made.
We all know the The Hornet was better in every way, even compared to current 2wd buggies

But seriously its funny people go in asking for a recommendation for a starter tank, and are not sure if they will stay with tanks (seriously they get boring pretty damn fast), and they start screaming tamiya saying the HL are crap cause the tamiyas are more accurate to scale. Personally I'm glad I bought a $70 HL tank when I tried that aspect out
Now the tamiya die hards also don't say they enter tank competitions every month & battle other tank drivers which needs special electronics which come with the tamiyas(the electronics can be installed in the HL but cost somewhere between $70-150, and a few other things have to be changed which adds up the bill). So yes for them the tamiya is worth it, but they just can't figure that out that not everyone enters the tank wars.
In a way its similar to how someone just wanting a cheap truck to putt around on the grass in their yard are recommended savage flux's, and other ludicrously priced RC's where a cheap ass redcat would suffice. I know it happens in the plane forum as well. When I asked for help ppl were naming $700 kits [:@]

Side note wish the closest track wasn't 50+ miles away I would love to take my hornet to go race it at a track for fun
Old 05-14-2011, 08:49 AM
The Hedgehog

Ignorance starts arguments a lot. Case in point this guys post. Obviously 14 year olds will not know the history of RC Cars very well.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

Ignorance starts arguments a lot. Case in point this guys post. Obviously 14 year olds will not know the history of RC Cars very well.
You're right, 14 year olds dont... But I do. Your insult falls on deaf ears. Just because it was produced in large quantities, then sold to EVERYONE, does not make it special in any way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.