Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Really?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really?!

What motivates someone to harass someone else because of poor spelling/grammar? Are they not free to ignore it? Just like said bad speller is free to spell however he or she chooses? It's sad how people who've never lacked freedom are the best at encroaching on others. And for what reason? THERE I've vented a little...
Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Really?!

I see both sides. Nobody has the right to be the grammar police on a forum and I will defend any member from such attacks. However, the decline of the quality of the written word in the internet age is pretty disturbing. I sit on the fence on this one. Might as well bring back olde English

Den wee kan spel stuffs haoeva we lyke an not youse enny punkchooashun

There's a level.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

As Foxy said.

I heet it ehen de people typer like dis cause youzers cant uderstand mooch. Den its just a haxzors amount of text all in da huge paragrams and stuf with out punctuition so itZ like dis huge azz run along sentence/ paragram all in one sentence + youza no getting far when you dont now how to type and youzers maken people hazs headaches.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a rule I won't call anyone out on it unless I honestly can't understand it. And then I'll be like "Hey man, I can't understand you because your spelling/punctuation/grammar is atrocious."

If someone posts a wall of text without a period or paragraph break I'll just skip over it without reading.

today i went to the hobby shop and bought a slash it looked really cool but when i got it home it wouldnt work thats when my friend said i had to charge the battery so i did but i only did it for a minute or two and tried again and it moved a bit but it didn't go far so i asked him again and he said you had to charge it for like 8 hours or something so i did that but it was really boring sitting there for 8 hours waiting for it to fill up with power but when it finally did woooooaaaaah this thing is fast and really cool and i can't wait to drive it underwater like i saw on youtube and oh yeah i broke it the first time i drove it so i wonder if i should get that aluminum stuff so it never breaks again and wouldnt it be cool if it was all aluminum right out of the box then i bet it would never break and its too bad the batteries dont come fully charged so you can run it right away thats about the only thing that could make the slash better than it already is
I see something like that and it is as if my brain overloads and can't process it. And my example is without massive spelling errors.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

If someone posts a wall of text without a period or paragraph break I'll just skip over it without reading.

today i went to the hobby shop and bought a slash it looked really cool but when i got it home it wouldnt work thats when my friend said i had to charge the battery so i did but i only did it for a minute or two and tried again and it moved a bit but it didn't go far so i asked him again and he said you had to charge it for like 8 hours or something so i did that but it was really boring sitting there for 8 hours waiting for it to fill up with power but when it finally did woooooaaaaah this thing is fast and really cool and i can't wait to drive it underwater like i saw on youtube and oh yeah i broke it the first time i drove it so i wonder if i should get that aluminum stuff so it never breaks again and wouldnt it be cool if it was all aluminum right out of the box then i bet it would never break and its too bad the batteries dont come fully charged so you can run it right away thats about the only thing that could make the slash better than it already is

I see something like that and it is as if my brain overloads and can't process it. And my example is without massive spelling errors.

What's even worse is a wall of text like that with "LOL" where there should be a full stop.
[:@]

However.

When it comes to spelling, I've got a theory.
Are people really getting worse at spelling or is it just that we're exposed to people's writing more than we were, say 10-15 years ago?
These days on internet forums and the likes we spend hours every day reading what hundreds of people have written.
Before the internet, how often did we really read stuff that others had written, apart from stuff in magazines and newspapers, of course?

It seems to me that the majority of people have trouble with the same words.

"Definitely" seems to be a diffucult one.

Also, the difference between "Their, They're" and "There" appears to be a mystery to many.

I pull people up on their spelling at times but I try to do it in a polite way rather than "Learn how to spell you moron".

Like said above, if it's just a few errors here and there it's no big deal but the Wall of text and the Haxxorz lol speak does annoy me.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Foxy

Don't even get me started on use of apostrophes for plurals. Where did that come from? This was brought about by the internet age, DVP, it's not always been like that, and it's getting worse. It's because people read the internet and not books any more.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Don't even get me started on use of apostrophes for plurals. Where did that come from?
This was brought about by the internet age, DVP, it's not always been like that

Yeah that's another strange one. [&:]
And you're right, it's something that's started recently.
I've also seen a few people using a comma instead of an apostrophe, which is even stranger.

People shrug it off and say "Well if you can understand what I mean, what's the problem?" but it IS a problem.
Knowing how to spell properly is something we should all learn.
While we all make the occasional typo, some people just don't seem to care.

My grammar might not be 100% but English is my second language after all.
(I'm pretty sure you shouldn't put "and" after a "," but I seem to do it a lot...)

Old 06-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Mr. Mugen

Not sure about all of that, but I truely hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it banana.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I have little problem with poor spelling and grammar in many cases, as it is not the persons fault. There are some, including one who shall remain nameless on here, who do it intentionally. The reason? I havent the faintest. Maybe they think it makes them look cool, because they don't care? Maybe they are.....Hell I just don't know.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM
OIF/OEFrc13

Of course we should do so if it irritates us. Whether its intentional or not is really irrelevant, just think about it a little. Who's breaking rules we all agreed to here? The poor speller or the people hounding him? There is also a difference between a polite suggestion and taking it a bit too far, and in any case, he doesn't have to listen to you so if one such polite suggestion is ineffective than why press the issue further?

There are some, including one who shall remain nameless on here, who do it intentionally. The reason? I havent the faintest. Maybe they think it makes them look cool, because they don't care?

And why do people get on his case about it even though he ignores them? To look cool also? As I said before if a polite suggestion doesn't work then simply ignore it as mech said, because like Himmler there says, its entirely likely that the person spelling poorly doesn't care. And if they just can't spell than that makes it even more wrong to harass them. I'm just saying...we all made a string of choices that put us up on this forum, if we don't like the way others are doing things up here, especially with regards to spelling and grammar...tough. Its a forum and people who spell and write bad aren't violating any forum rules. A big part of a forum is sharing information, having fun, and learning from each other. If you don't like it go back a choice or two and make a different one. I've seen people in Afghanistan who were thrilled to receive a crank operated radio, a computer with an internet connection would make them cry tears of joy. These are everyday things for us, so we choose to use them to insult people who either don't care or don't know better. One is useless and the other is wrong. I think it should stop. I guess I'll get off the soapbox now, I just wish we would take a minute and think before we trash someone.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

So it's ok to be grammatically incorrect, not worry about spelling and not divide the post in to paragraphs as it's not breaking the forum rules?
But when someone points out another member's mistake they're the ones causing trouble by doing so.

we all made a string of choices that put us up on this forum
You make it sound like we're all criminals and the forum is our punishment for our crimes.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 PM
OIF/OEFrc13

Dirty, yep to your first question. If you're gonna be on the forum ya gotta follow the rules right? And no, pointing out a member's mistake is fine, but like I said that's really all that can be done. Repeating the same correction with harsher language each time clearly isn't going to work if you are in your third or so attempt. It's not like the text is going to go away unless a mod removes the post or something right? SO for whatever reason if the person is unable to correct himself then just drive on. The forum that set me off a bit was one where a few members repeatedly bothered a guy about his spelling. He took no action to correct this spelling, which if we follow the line means he either doesn't care or can't spell...or both. These guys just took over the thread ragging on this fellow, and he was introducing valid and reasonably made points concerning the subject of the thread. Meanwhile, everyone dogs on him about his grammar. He even started posting pics of his trucks to more clearly illustrate his points...still with the spelling. I would say this constitutes a "personal attack" as described in the forum no-nos.

You make it sound like we're all criminals and the forum is our punishment for our crimes.
Maybe, but I just meant that we chose to be here. Just like most of the free world, if you don't like it here get the **** out then.

Gah, I think I've made my point. I really just needed to vent about that. 31 hours with no sleep really shortens your fuse. ..[&o]
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM
OIF/OEFrc13

Dirty, yep to your first question. If you're gonna be on the forum ya gotta follow the rules right? And no, pointing out a member's mistake is fine, but like I said that's really all that can be done. Repeating the same correction with harsher language each time clearly isn't going to work if you are in your third or so attempt. It's not like the text is going to go away unless a mod removes the post or something right? SO for whatever reason if the person is unable to correct himself then just drive on. The forum that set me off a bit was one where a few members repeatedly bothered a guy about his spelling. He took no action to correct this spelling, which if we follow the line means he either doesn't care or can't spell...or both. These guys just took over the thread ragging on this fellow, and he was introducing valid and reasonably made points concerning the subject of the thread. Meanwhile, everyone dogs on him about his grammar. He even started posting pics of his trucks to more clearly illustrate his points...still with the spelling. I would say this constitutes a "personal attack" as described in the forum no-nos.

Maybe, but I just meant that we chose to be here. Just like most of the free world, if you don't like it here get the **** out then.

Gah, I think I've made my point. I really just needed to vent about that. 31 hours with no sleep really shortens your fuse. ..[&o]
Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Dirty, yep to your first question. If you're gonna be on the forum ya gotta follow the rules right? And no, pointing out a member's mistake is fine, but like I said that's really all that can be done. Repeating the same correction with harsher language each time clearly isn't going to work if you are in your third or so attempt. It's not like the text is going to go away unless a mod removes the post or something right? SO for whatever reason if the person is unable to correct himself then just drive on. The forum that set me off a bit was one where a few members repeatedly bothered a guy about his spelling. He took no action to correct this spelling, which if we follow the line means he either doesn't care or can't spell...or both. These guys just took over the thread ragging on this fellow, and he was introducing valid and reasonably made points concerning the subject of the thread. Meanwhile, everyone dogs on him about his grammar. He even started posting pics of his trucks to more clearly illustrate his points...still with the spelling. I would say this constitutes a ''personal attack'' as described in the forum no-nos.
Fair enough

Just like most of the free world, if you don't like it here get the **** out then.
Well it was just a joke, no need to be like that.
I never said I don't like it, I merely pointed out that your comment could be interpreted in that way.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
OIF/OEFrc13

I know, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was going off on you but I guess it did. Sorry about that. The whole if you don't like it get out thing was kind of meant as a joke also.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

It's all good mate.

......man hug?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 PM
OIF/OEFrc13

LOL! sure I ain't scared
Old 06-27-2011, 10:53 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

Not sure about all of that, but I truely hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it banana.
That's funny. I about spotted.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 PM
tommygun32

Aahhhh....English;

The language where Polish and polish are spelled the same, where read and read are spelled the same, wicked can mean bad or good and phat can be a compliment or an insult...

Randomly that is the opening line of a radio ad I wrote yesterday and produced this morning....

I just don't even bother trying to read a wall of words with no punctuations, breaks or separate paragraphs. (move along young man...nothing to see here...hear...(?))

Text speak can easily be blamed on the cost difference between sending one message or two, due to the limited number of characters allowed per text message. It forces people to shorten words.

These shortened words suddenly become 'cool' with the youth and next thing you know you actually hear people using things like OMG, ROFL, LOL in conversations.

It was kind of the same when I was growing up....but different. We had words like gnarly, awesome and b!tch!n' that we would completely over use in conversation. Having said that, those were not words I would use when writing letters, mailing in 10 box tops to get a free prize or ordering a 13" vinyl album from K-Tel records.

As for spelling and grammatical mistakes....just pure laziness. Doesn't take much effort to get it right, and get it right the first time.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 AM
traxxasadict3.3
My Feedback: (84)

Has anyone ever thought maybe these are kids?Cut the "younguns" some slack,they are the future of our hobby.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: traxxasadict3.3

Has anyone ever thought maybe these are kids?Cut the ''younguns'' some slack,they are the future of our hobby.
Proper grammar should be being taught at a young age, enough to form reasonably competent sentences...
Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Foxy

Has anyone ever thought maybe these are kids?Cut the ''younguns'' some slack,they are the future of our hobby.
That is not in any way an excuse. I wrote better than the majority of the folks I see on the internet at 10 years old.

Acceptable excuses:

English is not your first language
You are dyslexic
You have some other handicap which causes you difficulties
You never went to school at all

If you don't teach them the importance of writing legibly when they are young and their minds are malleable, when are you going to do it?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

Proper grammar should be being taught at a young age, enough to form reasonably competent sentences...
The problem exists, and will only get worse, because mommy and daddy are either working or too busy with their own activities to teach their children. Teachers are too busy teaching basic manners and discipline.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 AM
traxxasadict3.3
My Feedback: (84)

WOW, I guess now im going to get slamed! Relax a little bit!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Foxy

We're perfectly relaxed, just having a discussion. What makes you think anyone's upset?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.