Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

What to look for when purchasing a Flat Screen TV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM
rv9-a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What to look for when purchasing a Flat Screen TV?

One thing you may want to consider is where you buy your flat screen. For example Costco doubles the manufactures warranty and gives you 90 days to return the item. Exchange or refund.

rv9-a
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

walmart has a 46" RCA i was just looking at online for under 500 bucks. 3 HDMI inputs; best deal around.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 PM
FahrtAutoRC

My opinion may be a little late but I think Toshiba is a pretty good choice. I don't know much about these tv's but Ive got a 55" Toshiba plasma and I love it.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

My opinion may be a little late but I think Toshiba is a pretty good choice. I don't know much about these tv's but Ive got a 55'' Toshiba plasma and I love it.
ditto, toshiba makes a great product.
lg does too, 2yr warrenty and (knock on wood) i have had ZIP problems with it in a year, ive had one or two burnt images in there (even with the orbital function on) but it was really minor (only could see it on white screens) and i fixed it in two minutes using the color wash function. i left the DVD player on for two hours on the startup screen so beavis's head was shadowed in, other than that ive had no issues with burn in, even playing super mario on original NES.

although if you do go plasma, make sure you set it for 50% contrast the first 40 hours of use to break in the phosphors.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:16 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

Plasmas are obselete considering the advancements in the other types. Just the power consumption alone on the plasmas is enough to mark those off the list. My next tv will most likely be a mitsubishi. That mitsubishi tv at Dallas's stadium is simply amazing. Dont forget to look into OLED which has the potential to surpass them all.J
Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM
jkdv8

Plasmas are obselete considering the advancements in the other types. Just the power consumption alone on the plasmas is enough to mark those off the list. My next tv will most likely be a mitsubishi. That mitsubishi tv at Dallas's stadium is simply amazing. Dont forget to look into OLED which has the potential to surpass them all.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Nice double posts loaded with OPINIONS...
Old 10-30-2011, 11:14 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is basically right. Plasma was a gimmick that managed to catch on. The colors are dark, the contrast sucks, burn-in is a possibility, they consume a lot of power, and they generate enough heat to warm a small apartment. It really is obsolete, the same picture quality can be found in high quality LCD sets, and now OLED, which is ridiculously crisp.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 AM
redfisher1974

I have a sharp aquos 37" and it has been great for the last 5 years. Makes me sad that 5 years ago I had to pay $1400 for it...[&:]
Old 10-30-2011, 12:28 PM
proanti1

I have a Sharp Aquos back in Texas, a 60" one... it's a great TV, but cost me more than I care to admit. Here in SC I have a Vizio that only cost me $450 or something.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM
FahrtAutoRC

The newer ones have got most of those issues fixed

ORIGINAL: proanti1

He is basically right. Plasma was a gimmick that managed to catch on. The colors are dark, the contrast sucks, burn-in is a possibility, they consume a lot of power, and they generate enough heat to warm a small apartment. It really is obsolete, the same picture quality can be found in high quality LCD sets, and now OLED, which is ridiculously crisp.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:49 PM
jkdv8

Hey Fart, On top of the disadvantages of plasmas you do realize that three quarters of the top tv manufacturers have abandoned plasma altogether. Should give you an idea where it is heading. My B on the double posts.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 PM
proanti1

The newer ones have got most of those issues fixed

No, not really. My girlfriend has a brand new Samsung at her place, and it does the same stuff that the 6 year old ones do. A lot of retailers dont even carry plasma now. As jkdv8 said, plasma is definitely on the out.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:37 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

[&o]
Old 10-30-2011, 05:52 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

[&o]
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 PM
The_Shark

all i know is the contrast is GREAT, black saturation is GREAT, colors are GREAT, motion shots are SMOOTH. Power consumption is LOW the screen does not get any warmer than LCD (even LED LCD).

plasmas did suck up untill now, now they are way ahead of any other technology as far as picture quality, sure they look dark and drab in a brightly lit store especially next to a LCD, but in your home its perfect, when we got a LCD as a backup when my pop's DLP went out (those are garbage) we got a lcd, WAAAY bright, i had to doctor it up to only 40% brightness, and did not look nearly as good as my plasma (lcd was a new samsung 1080p 120hz 50")

my eyes dont lie, plasmas have THE best picture especially when it comes to natural colors. plasma will die soon but not because of power consumption (same as LCD today) or picture quality (again the best today) or burn in (takes over two hours of a still high contrast image) it is because everyone has heard about early sets and the horror stories, plus everone is like "OMG LED is so kool! iz like a zillion LED in der!" which its not.... its LED BACKLIGHTING. along with the large amout of availibility and tv commercials.