Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

A Helmet for the Street

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A Helmet for the Street

A Helmet for the Street

It has occurred to me that wearing a helmet on the street might be a good safety move. Motorcyclists wear them, and a convertible is another vehicle where the noggin is exposed. I suppose what other people think shouldn't matter, but I have to admit I'd feel quite foolish wearing a helmet while cruising around town in a top-down convertible.

However, it would likely interest the police to see anyone in a sports car wearing a helmet. They would likely wonder "Now what's he up to?", and there might be some uncomfortable explaining to do.

However, there's an answer (or there used to be circa 1965):

The Advertisement

The Review

It's ME!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Eman77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A Helmet for the Street

I say do it. Keep 'em guessing.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I probably wouldn't wear a helmet w/ a regular convertible, but will definitely bust out my Arai when driving an Ariel Atom...
Old 02-17-2013, 05:57 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! Popped in an read this post and it reminded me of when I was younger.

I spent about 1 year off and on and an entire summer building a 1965 vw dune buggy. The actual year was 1993 and I was a senior in high school. The dune buggy was killer...dual dellorto carbs on a monster engine and a metal flake purple body.....the thing turned heads! SoI don't know about your high school experience but where I'm from we partied....ALOT! Anyway long story short at one of these parties we came across 2 old motor cyclehelmets. One bright yellow and can't remember the color of the other helmet. So I got the bright idea to don the helmets and drive around townin my dune buggy. Now I grew up in a very wealthy ( I was poor) conservative town and here's these 2 teenagers driving around in a purple dune buggy wearing bright old helmets smacking their heads together around turns and stuff. Pretty funny kinda stupid, but funny.

Sorry Argess as I'm sure that's not what you were expecting but I had to share. Anyway I have thoroughly enjoyed all your vintage post's and look forward to the next one!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:29 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: big JC

Sorry Argess as I'm sure that's not what you were expecting but I had to share. Anyway I have thoroughly enjoyed all your vintage post's and look forward to the next one!
Not a problem. I enjoyed your story. One of the reasons I post is to generate some thought, and if that means a story of some sort, then that's great.

I'm also getting cabin fever here due to the snow, so have been posting some "vintage" stuff just for fun. There's usually not many responses, but I post anyway, as I have fun finding old pics, scanning them, sometimes modifying them, etc.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also get cowboy hard hats.
Probably not good if you're trying to establish a reputation as a reliable builder though

Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Foxy

In all seriousness, as many on this forum know, I used to drive a Honda S2000. Twice, I feel I was lucky not to be seriously injured while riding with the top down. The first time, it was a tree branch, not huge, but not small either, it fell right in front of the car. I couldn't escape the thought that if I had been a quarter of a second quicker, it would have hit me right in the head. The second time was a falling apple, I was going a fair clip, probably about 60mph, and there was this HUGE BANG, as this apple fell and struck the very top corner of the windshield showering me in juice. I don't know how much damage an apple could do to a human skull, probably not much to be honest, but it scared the bejesus out of me, I was paranoid with top down fro several days after.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Lunchboxer

I am sure an apple hit you in the face at speed will do some SERIOUS damage!! I wouldn't want to find out..