Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

I got me some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 PM
jj75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got me some questions

First off I would like to apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place but, I didn't see any threads that I thought pertained to me. I am interested in getting in to playing around with off road rc trucks or cars. I am not sure who makes what and so on. I would prefer starting out buying something used just to see if I am really going to like it since I tend to get bored easily with things. I also have a 9 year old son who I thought him and I could get into this together. Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 AM
iexion

Hello and Welcome to RCU.

One of the best things you can do is to find and visit a local hobby store like HobbyTownUsa and look/ask around. Just be sure to do a little research on anything someone may try to sell you.
Your basic friend when jumping into this hobby is going to be *Research*. To skip right into it here are some Major brands (like Chevrolet, Nissan, BMW etc)

RC10.com (Team Associated)
Losi.com
Hpiracing.com
Traxxas.com

Those are a few of the major brands on the market today. Those brands tend to sell products with a mix of RTR (ready to run) ARTR (Almost ready to run) and Kits (build yourself and supply your own engine/motor & electronics.)

More "race" worthy brands would look like:
TeamXray.com
mugenseiki.com
Ofna.com

Honestly what vehicle to start with depends on things like your budget, are looking to race in the near future etc.
When looking online be cautious about sites on eBay & amazon. Over the past few years there has been a lot of "hobby grade" junk that has flooded the market and when someone new to the hobby sees a $99 RTR drift whatever... you'll end up spending more time looking for parts online and fixing due to poor quality.

Amainhobbies.com is MY personal choice when looking into parts or a new vehicle.

I hate to sound like a salesman but a Traxxas Rustler Traxxas - Rustler (#37054) - Overview | traxxas.com isnt a bad way to start out, its around $200ish new and comes with just about everything you need to get going. GoodLuck

Last edited by iexion; 08-08-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

To start out, a cheap RC should be fine. Then, get a better one later if you liked it. Look on nitrorcx.com to see the cheaper cars.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:40 AM
jj75

Thanks for the information and advice. Unfortunately I live in a small area that the nearest walmart is an hour away so no hobby shop to go to.I will take the advice given and do my research. Thank you again.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM
jj75

Do you think it might be a good idea to buy a used one first? The only problem is that I would have to completely trust who was selling it to me since I know nothing.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM
iexion

Originally Posted by jj75
Thanks for the information and advice. Unfortunately I live in a small area that the nearest walmart is an hour away so no hobby shop to go to.I will take the advice given and do my research. Thank you again.
Im not a big fan out buying something used as your first RC vehicle. Without having any know how on RC's and not knowing what to look for, it may be too much of a risk of your money.
What is a budget price you can work worth? Getting into the hobby is usually going to run you around the $150-$200 mark.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM
jj75

@ iexion the $150 - $200 mark is actually what I was looking to spend. I just don't want to spend much more than that incase I decide that it isn't for me.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 PM
jj75

Collector 1231,

Thank for the website. I was looking at the truggys or trucks for around $120. I don't suppose you have owned one of these before or know someone who has. If you could make any suggestions as to what might be a good buy please let me know. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:46 AM
iexion

Don't forget about resale value. I tend to buy and sell every now and then and much like anything, name brands tend to have better resale value.

Tamiya... cant believe I forgot that company
Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jj75
Do you think it might be a good idea to buy a used one first? The only problem is that I would have to completely trust who was selling it to me since I know nothing.
No not a good option
Trusting the seller would be about as smart as driving up to a used car lot named Uncle Carl's Quality Used Cars, and taking everything the salesman said at word on how it was only driven to church by a little old lady on Sundays.

For the record I speak from 1st hand experience. I started off used buying a $100 RC off ebay. After I finally got it to hold together for a whole run I dumped at least $250 into it (literally in a month). The RC new sold for $300... And it was STILL problematic, and had inferior hardware as there was a newer version.
I've bought quite a few used RCs since then, but I learned what to look out for. Over paid a few times as the sellers took some pictures at some very opportune angles that didn't show issues that would have been easily apparent from any other angle.
Basics for buying a used RC pretend whatever that powers it is shot, and will need replacing. Runs well I found usually means can move 5 feet before breaking down. Great condition means abused, and unmaintained. Like new means they want more then it cost new. Fully upgraded means its got so much bling on it the thing can't move, and is worth how ever much aluminum scrap metal is worth.
Also there is another habit of people to say they put $1000 into the RC(I've seen a LOT of ads that pull this), and try selling it for $500. They mean they broke $1000 in parts on it, and replaced them with stock parts on a $200 RC, and want more then a new one would cost.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 PM
jj75

Thank you for the useful information. You have definitely talked me out of buying used until I know more and can actually see it and drive it myself.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 AM
dyjedyjstfwen

To start out, a cheap RC should be fine.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tamiya FTW!