Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

WHICH RC CAR MAGAZINE DO YOU LIKE MOST AND WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:02 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WHICH RC CAR MAGAZINE DO YOU LIKE MOST AND WHY?

I subscribe to 3 magazines.

1. RC Driver

2. RC Car Action

3. R/C Car

I personally like rc car action the most because of reviews and the how to tips.

R/C Car is another Mag I enjoy alot because of its down home feel, easy reading, but they could improve on the reports.

RC Driver I like it but I just find the other 2 more fun to read.

Just like this website I have tried others but I keep coming back to this site.

What sayst the rest of yea???
Old 12-22-2005, 05:17 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHICH RC CAR MAGAZINE DO YOU LIKE MOST AND WHY?

R/C Driver is my fav. Just IMO
Old 12-22-2005, 05:20 PM
4xplay

Tried and true, RCCA.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Xtreme RC Cars-

http://www.rc411.com/

RC Car Action reads like a sales brochure. Every review comes up rosy, and even glaring defects are pushed off as minor annoyances. I hate how everything is fast and perfect and fun and jumps well and is basically perfect in every way. Be honest, and tell me what is wrong with it. Huge mag, but like 70% adds- takes like ten pages just to get to the table of contents!!! There shootouts are basically like kids soccer leagues where 'EVERYONE WINS'. If you read RC Car Action from 10-15 years ago, they were brutally honest. One case, they were reviewing a Cox Scorpion, and they honestly reviewed it. It was brutal, and they basically said it was a POS, but they were right.

Xtreme is a little more independent, they have pics of hot chicks in it. Although the rag is a little amateurish and written for and by 18-21 year olds, it still has good articles and more honest and unbiased reviews.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Haulin bass

I havnt been able to get my hands on an issue of r/c car for about 6 years But I used to like it.I read allot of RCCA as they sell it at the stores in my small town(I wish they had something better).I really like XRC but It isn't always available.I dont like Rc driver It seems to ME TOO and more centered around a youth auidence, But they are still a very new mag compared to the others.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:38 PM
bagged97

Ditto on the Xtreme RC Cars.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:08 PM
silverman1

Yeah thats the point I was trying to Make about RC_Driver to youth oriented for me, but thats still okay. Like you said with rc car action most every review comes out rosey, but then again they have to put food on thier tables also. Cycle World is the same way no losers in thier shootouts, all cycles have some strong attribute. What we read is often fueled by the advertisers with the biggest bucks.

Thats like all the top real cars are foreign, and get all the top ratings, i've owned some extremely good and very reliable american made cars that have gotten the big miles just like thier more expensive japanese competition.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:27 AM
gerwen

RC Driver and Xtreme RC Cars.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:00 AM
2DMaxLST!!

Xtreme R/C: Their honest and very similiar experience to me, with the OS .30 in issue #122, made be a subscriber.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Ken448

I stand at the Mag stand and scan the covers and grab the one that has the stuff I want to see. I dont buy them that often though, only when I wanna read up on a new truck Im interested in.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:37 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

R/C Driver and XRC.
They are the most honest magazines of the major rc magazines. RCCA is too biased, has too many ads, and a good review for the company's car is easily bought. I want honest reviews.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:37 PM
DerekBuono

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Xtreme RC Cars-

RC Car Action reads like a sales brochure. Every review comes up rosy, and even glaring defects are pushed off as minor annoyances. I hate how everything is fast and perfect and fun and jumps well and is basically perfect in every way. Be honest, and tell me what is wrong with it. Huge mag, but like 70% adds- takes like ten pages just to get to the table of contents!!! There shootouts are basically like kids soccer leagues where 'EVERYONE WINS'. If you read RC Car Action from 10-15 years ago, they were brutally honest. One case, they were reviewing a Cox Scorpion, and they honestly reviewed it. It was brutal, and they basically said it was a POS, but they were right.

Xtreme is a little more independent, they have pics of hot chicks in it. Although the rag is a little amateurish and written for and by 18-21 year olds, it still has good articles and more honest and unbiased reviews.
LOL, I'll correct one thing here....Written by 23-30 year olds for 23-30 year olds. I'm not sure what amateur information we present, but okay.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Balact Man
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Xtreme RC Cars-

THIS IS SO TRUE!!! i am finishing out a year subscription (which i will NOT be renewing) to RCCA. at first i was very happy with the cash savings as well the articles. but after a while it became very clear that RCCA is either a mag made by Traxxas, HPI, OFNA, etc........to name a few, or is so money driven that by my third magazine i knew without a doubt that a real/hard review would never be found. but i'm only 40, what do i know.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:11 PM
bentgear

Xtreme, cause they have the balls to do a dyno run and give the results of most of the nitro engines and electric motors that they use in test vehicles. Lots of folks may not agree with the numbers generate, but at least we have somebody out there doing something consistant.

The $12,000 cage match was great.

And Derek, sometimes it is a little amateurish, but I like it anyway. I thought Dale was being generous, I thought part of it was directed to 14 year olds.

Ed M.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Bria1

I currently have a subscription to RCCA. To check out other magazines reviews before buying my MGT, I picked up RC Driver, RC car, and XRC. I gotta say I liked the XRC review of the MGT better than the rest, then RC Driver, RCCA, and last of all RC car. But I got to say I didn't care for the rest of the magazine looking almost like a playboy magazine. While I don't mind the chicks, I also like to let my kids look at my magazines to get them more interested in RC and don't feel comfortable letting them look at it. I'm also not sure about their dyno tests. They are much lower than all the other magazines. So who is wrong XRC or all the others?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:23 PM
cman9toes

XRC, the $12000 cage match was the first issue I bought and they sold me on it. The only thing I don't agree with them on is some of the rating of the girls. Great mag, But alot ads like all mags. Gotta pay the bills I suppose.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:29 PM
bentgear

<<Removed the rant>>

Excuse me for the above, just a personal pet peeve of mine. I am just so tired of the manufactureres having to one up each other with made up numbers and then some of the mags pushing the same s@#$ because of the add dollars.

Xtreme shows the nitro dyno they use, you can read all about it on the web. They have done articles on it. The Fantom dyno used for the electrics is a recased updated RSR dyno that has been around and was the standard for oval racers for years.

I do agree that the chicks could be left out, but then it might not appeal to the 14 year old crowd as much.

Ed M.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:32 AM
JaysonR

I think XRC has better articles than other mags. XRC seems to repeat the information they use a lot less than some of the other mags, even though they all repeat. I think everybody has the same 5 engine saving tips that they recycle every 3rd month. But XRC seems to have more articles about more different things. Seems like I've seen stuff in XRC that I've never seen in RCCA or RC Driver.

I hate RC Driver's race coverage on some events, sometimes they barely get two pages worth of info. RC Car seems to have pretty honest reviews, seems last I remember, they actually gave some car a bad review. RCCA is cool, but I don't use it any more than to find out what new stuff is out. RCCA seems to give more positive reviews than a teacher in a class room full of students with low self esteem.

Do they still have that Nitro mag? I haven't seen it in a while
Old 12-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Bria1

RCNitro was discontinued.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

I like RC Driver and RCCA, but subscribe to RCD. I just wish they all weren't so biased to certain types or makes. Any who I would like to find that one RC magazine that actually puts the real racer tips, calculations, and other things that are truly necessary to be sucessful at the tracks. Or even put the truths in there that are only found in forums like these. I guess that won't actually happen though cuz if they did, it wouldn't survive because manufacturers wouldn't buy ad space to keep them going. On the other hand it would keep them honest. This is just my two cents though. Here's a thought, maybe RCU should compile info and put it together for a collective bi-annual magazine. How cool would that be?[&:]
Old 12-29-2005, 07:48 PM
DerekBuono

ORIGINAL: Bria1

I currently have a subscription to RCCA. To check out other magazines reviews before buying my MGT, I picked up RC Driver, RC car, and XRC. I gotta say I liked the XRC review of the MGT better than the rest, then RC Driver, RCCA, and last of all RC car. But I got to say I didn't care for the rest of the magazine looking almost like a playboy magazine. While I don't mind the chicks, I also like to let my kids look at my magazines to get them more interested in RC and don't feel comfortable letting them look at it. I'm also not sure about their dyno tests. They are much lower than all the other magazines. So who is wrong XRC or all the others?
Because our HP is calculated from a dyno in real data. We've explained this 100 times of why it's lower and the risk we took actually contradicting our adverters "claimed" HP. There is no standard in the way it is measured...until our dyno. We've sold 10 dynos to the industry, proof that they believe it. There's no other magazine that has a dyno that proves accurate repeatable data...period. Our numbers are even corrected by the software to SAE conditions. It's really silly to question the accuracy. Dyno's are not rocket science, but the software is

There was a post somewhere about the Virtual Racing game, that's a pretty decent simulator. They put in some claimed HP of a .21 race engine and it was not controllable.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:50 PM
DerekBuono

ORIGINAL: bentgear

<<Removed the rant>>

Excuse me for the above, just a personal pet peeve of mine. I am just so tired of the manufactureres having to one up each other with made up numbers and then some of the mags pushing the same s@#$ because of the add dollars.

Xtreme shows the nitro dyno they use, you can read all about it on the web. They have done articles on it. The Fantom dyno used for the electrics is a recased updated RSR dyno that has been around and was the standard for oval racers for years.

I do agree that the chicks could be left out, but then it might not appeal to the 14 year old crowd as much.

Ed M.
LOL, only 14 year olds like girls? I've said this a million times. The Professor is 2 pages out of 100 pages of content and 230 pages of the magazine...That's far from littered. And I have about 1000 survery replies and it seems that it's one of the most read sections of the magazine and that's by all ages.

But thanks of the kind words Ed, we've changed the way magazines do things and will try and continue that in the future. I'm assuming by amatuer you mean..more real and fun to read? Cause I still don't know what you mean by amatuer when it comes to the technical articles we've done it's difficult for me to see that
Old 12-29-2005, 10:51 PM
silverman1

I don't care what anyone says, writing all these magazines probababally started out as a fun way to stay in your hobby, and make money, if you got any common sense your going to kiss the asses that pay the bills and keep you in the money. Yeah it bites, but that's the way life is. As far as all the ads depicting good looking women with rc car race driver winners or with thier products sex sells. Myself I think it is stupid. Like yeah right all the good looking beautiful women are going to hang off me if I win some rc car race. Give me a break!!! Its for the money just like the beer ads with the swedish bikini team droping in while im fishing out in the middle of no where with cases of beer!!! now thats only happened 5 or 6 times in my life!!!

Profit and greed fuels what we read see and who we go to war against. The president don't care how many of our boys die for nothing. those people will fight until the end of time.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 PM
bentgear

Don't worry Derek, sometimes I still feel like a 14 yr old. Just not as often as I did 40 years ago.

And no, I don't think the articles are amatuer at all. PLEASE, keep up the good work.

Ed M.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:32 AM
blackrain

i say rc driver they have the best reviews they show you the complete driveline in detail inside the tranny and inside the differentials and very honest with great quality pictures. the worst is car action nothing but advertisement page after page and very bious when comparing other manufactures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.