Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

RC Snowmobile

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Dougget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Snowmobile

Hi,
I got an RC sled for Christmas. It's a Polaris from Radio Shack, I think. Anyway, it works pretty good except sometimes I hear the motor spinning, but the sled doesn't move, or it moves very slowly. There is also a clicking sound. Is there a clutch built into the drive system? Are the gears skipping? What's the deal. It seems to have enough power, but when the going gets tough (up hill, or heavy snow) it starts to click and slows down or stops.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I've wanted an RC truck for a while, now I'm hooked. I really like the idea of a 2 stroke gas powered buggy vs nitro or electric, but the prices are up there. Side note, any 2 stroke kits available? May be able to save some $$ if I build it myself...

Thank you,
Doug
Old 01-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Bombers_410

Default RE: RC Snowmobile

Try somewhere else in the forums. Try the electric cars buggies and trucks forum. Thats what you want.

And as for the snomobile...... throw it away.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Viper 15

If you buy a kit, you will spend more than a RTR
Old 01-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't pick on the new guy, we all started somewhere.
As for the clicking sound, it could be a lot of things but possibly the gears slipping. I was looking at one of those sleds for my son at Wally-World, it was pretty big but I didn't know how long the thing would last. There used to be or maybe still is a company called Art Attack that made snowmoblies in electric and nitro versions that used some off-the-shelf R/C car and truck parts to make it easier to repair if anything broke.

RTR vs. kit: you learn how to repair one if you build it yourself as you know how it went together. Building them is part of the fun.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:40 AM
-Inverted-

Did you just say you were considering buying a radio controlled vehicle from walmart...... geeze ron lol. I laugh at nikko, and new brite, although I heard that nylint crawler isnt a bad little machine. I get a kick out of if you go down the diecast cars/models/radio control aisles, theres so many vehicles with spinners. They barely spin half a turn lol. They got a ride-on escalade out called "my first escalade" lol I love that name though.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, I was bored. I went there getting new tires for my SUV and the toy department was just down the aisle. My son is a little old for one of those anyway and normally drives much faster R/C stuff. It is kind of a seasnal vehicle anyway and we haven't gotten that much snow this year except for one blast which is pretty much melted.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Whoa G

What about a nitro snowmobile? take some TVPs from a savage (or make them), cut the bottom rear portion out for the track, mount the motor in the front, use the stock front suspension, mount the radio gear in the back above where the track would be, and make an aluminum skid-plate-like piece to protect the radio gear above the track, and to increase flotation in the front, make up a set of skis, and you'd be good to go. only prob is the steering servo, and finding a way to get power to the track - and finding/making a track for that matter. hmmmmm didn't think about that. maybe take a bunch of really wide tires, cut the sidewalls out, and glue them to some timing belts or something for a car (something with teeth in it to let an axle of some kind to grab). i don't know, i've been thinking about it for a long time, and i think it could be done, it would be complicated tho
Old 01-06-2006, 07:44 PM
-Inverted-

If you have snow frequently the kyosho blizzard wins hands down, comes in nitro or electric, your pick, but it the best for the snow
Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 PM
TeamTFR
My Feedback: (45)

If you have alot of snow or go to the beach alot or want something alittle different, I'd say to get a Blizzard. I got one from a trade, and it goes on almost every surface, especailly snow
Old 01-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Whoa G

that'd be cool, but a snowmobile would just be so much cooler IMO, and i would get to build it myself too. on the other hand, how fast do you think the would go?, i couldn't find it on the site, maybe i'm blind. and what size engine would you put in that, a small block? cause an O.S. .18 TZ would probly make it fly - until it fries the tranny. i don't know, it would take some doing, but i think i could get the sled together too
Old 01-09-2006, 01:20 PM
CadillacDTS2001

if you want a lot more on rc snowmobiels go to the( unusual rc) forums there are a lot of them there, there is a new bright snowmobiel that is converted to nitro and 2 speeds tranny
Old 01-09-2006, 08:10 PM
-Inverted-

If your talking about the kyosho blizzard, it uses a .12 motor, or an electric 540, whether you want nitro or electric.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 AM
mnkay

Hey Doug,

The gears are slipping or the track is slipping. These RTR's are built very cheap and break very easily. There are not too many setups you can do that will work with this setup. If I am not mistaken the steering and drive are all on one system, correct? If so, a electronic makeover or a replacement part from another of the same make. Upgrading it, I am not sure if there is room for it all. It seems the question is what is making the noise and I believe it is the gears not properly aligned or the track slipping.

If you are interested in R/C skidoos, come check our inventions out in the Unusual R/C forum. We are not too familiar with the polaris setup but have different ideas and models that we have created that work. Any questions you have are welcomed.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43772.jpg
Views:	1862
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	389419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12884.jpg
Views:	1682
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	389420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82714.jpg
Views:	2142
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	389421  
Old 02-09-2006, 08:17 AM
adsmart101

Ive upgraded all the bushings on the boogie wheels and the differential on my nitro blizzard to bearings. Will reduce friction. Can that gearbox handle a bigger engine?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:19 AM
adsmart101

Im gonna "attempt" to modify the boogie wheels to allow for shocks to be installed instead of the simple wire thing they have going, should be able to use mini-t shocks or short on road car shocks. Ive fitted a truck body to my blizzard. Looks baad
Old 02-28-2006, 05:54 AM
adsmart101

I hope this forum isnt dead.....
Old 03-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Whoa G

Show us some pics!!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:16 PM
mnkay

Hey guys,

I just want to add that making a sled from scratch is possible and high speeds can be achievable. I am almost finished (no more snow really) for this year but will continue to build faster RC sleds. There are a few of us that will continue these threads throughout the rest of the summer. Please do not be intimidated or shy, ask questions. Do not think that the cheapest way is best because it usually is not. So be prepared to spend a few bucks. The rewards are worth every penny.

I just recently did a speed run (all out) and achieved an impressive speed. The video is short and ended up breaking my steering servo mount abd had no steering for most of the video. I got brave and took a chance and ran it with virtually no steering and ran pretty fast. I am not going to tell you the speed, you will have to look at the video. The radar gun is in mph. I think I can add another 5mph on the top speed by tweaking a couple of things.

Here is a link to the video. Check it out. http://media.putfile.com/Nitro-Snowmobile-speed-run

Mark
Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 PM
sledjunki

hey that is cool but what scale is it where did you find parts
im working on a sled it is going to be about 1/3 scale
started after i saw jordans sleds
Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is nearing 3 years old. Most of the people that posted don't even post here anymore.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 AM
pythonfan

annie you don't have to be mean about it, he's new and probably not sure were to go.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 AM
sledjunki

thx im new to this