Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

ONTARIO COLLEGE STRIKE

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:42 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ONTARIO COLLEGE STRIKE

Anyone else suffering from the college strike here in Ontario? It started Tuesday March 7 at 12:00AM. The college is still open but all the librarians, professors and counsellors are on the sidewalk. They expect the strike to last a while as both parties are not talking.

It sounds like it is great as I can run all my RC's and make some money at work. But I don't want this to cut in to my 4 month summer.

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 10:05 AM
CadillacDTS2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ONTARIO COLLEGE STRIKE

ya i heard a bout it im not old enof to go to colage yet but my sister is and funny enof she took a year off so really if she did it rite she would to be duffering from the strike
and umm my father has conections to the strike and they say it will be lasting a fair bit unless the meeting that is heald changes
Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 AM
ryan_t888

The last I heard is there are no meetings to be held. Both sides are not talking. I guess there are not many people from Ontario on RCU.

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 11:22 AM
CadillacDTS2001

ya ther are a lot actually here look

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...uestTimeout=50
Old 03-10-2006, 11:28 AM
ryan_t888

I searched and found pages, maybe they don't care about school. LOL

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 AM
jdeadman

I have to cross the picket line to get to work (and yes I have to go to work) The picket lines have been really respectful here in Thunder Bay. Personally I think the teachers should get paid on what they do and how well they do it. getting $90,000 a year to work 14 hours a week, that's pretty sweet. Now a few teacher do put in a much longer work day either marking, office hours and extras but and a BIG BUTT the majority are not around when their not in class and most work it so they either get monday's or Fridays off. Pretty sweet if you ask me.!!!!!! why they are striking (as I am told) is that they think that their workload is too high. (yea right) they were offered no increase to workload and an extra 12.6% raise over 4 years. that's better than the Support Staff got in september!!!.. verymuch GRRRR

anyways that's just how I fell as well as my associates.
Cheers
Old 03-10-2006, 11:38 AM
ryan_t888

I agree but I heard the strike had a lot to do with quality.(similar to what you said) An example, smaller classrooms. My Profs told our class that they are striking for the quality of our education. I can see this as my classes have 45ppl in them when they told us it used to be around 30. (many class rooms are empty on campus)

But all I'm thinking about is school going in to my summer.

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 11:41 AM
CadillacDTS2001

hey my frind is i thunder bay 2 day if you see her say hi for me LMAO lol
but umm rember 90,000 for 14 houres AND there teats and lectures they have to write and meetings and preperation and more
but i gess its god enof i mean my dad make 110,000 dollars and he works 9 hours a day 5 days a week so that's
45 hours a week and he works WAY more house than they do and only gets 20,000 more
Old 03-10-2006, 11:47 AM
ryan_t888

I thought I should add this, I'm in Mechanical Engineering. Most of my Profs don't come to class with a detailed lesson plan. In fact it is just hand written topics. Most of them do not even do this and lecture off the top of their head.

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

nice name

i was in thunderbay once when the grld gone wiled tour was coming through town to bad wasent there long enough to see it though
ORIGINAL: jdeadman

I have to cross the picket line to get to work (and yes I have to go to work) The picket lines have been really respectful here in Thunder Bay. Personally I think the teachers should get paid on what they do and how well they do it. getting $90,000 a year to work 14 hours a week, that's pretty sweet. Now a few teacher do put in a much longer work day either marking, office hours and extras but and a BIG BUTT the majority are not around when their not in class and most work it so they either get monday's or Fridays off. Pretty sweet if you ask me.!!!!!! why they are striking (as I am told) is that they think that their workload is too high. (yea right) they were offered no increase to workload and an extra 12.6% raise over 4 years. that's better than the Support Staff got in september!!!.. verymuch GRRRR

anyways that's just how I fell as well as my associates.
Cheers
Old 03-10-2006, 04:45 PM
thekaboom

Doesn't really affect me, still in high school. We did get a notice tho saying something about it and if it went on long enough school would be optional. Is it only affecting the college? if so i wonder why we got a notice..
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
ryan_t888

The strike is across all of Ontario. I'm not sure why a high school would get a notice. I don't understand what you mean by "school would be optional." College is optional.

Ryan
Old 03-15-2006, 09:09 PM
engine geek

I have a son admitted to a college, and have something to say in the regards of the strike in ontario. Teachers are paid enough than it is. Back then most teachers just wanted people to learn from them, to have a good life when they grow up. Now all that teachers can think about is the money and what they can spend it on. They get the whole summer off and to make that much money and not work for the whole summer is really good. They shouldn't be complaining.

-The geek