Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

World of warcraft

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World of warcraft

I used to play runescape and got really addicted. I swore I would try to never get that addicted to anything else. Whoops to late!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:31 PM

My characters are on Bealgun I believe thats how you spell it.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Kevinator9

I used to play runescape and got really addicted. I swore I would try to never get that addicted to anything else. Whoops to late!
At least you didnt start off palying Ever-Crack
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 PM

I have a FFXI account I wont cancel but rarely play JUST because i have so much time invested.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Tue Feb 27, 11:44 PM

BEIJING (Reuters) - An obese 26-year-old man in northeastern China died after a "marathon" online gaming session over the Lunar New Year holiday, state media said on Wednesday.

The 150-kg (330-lb) man from Jinzhou, in Liaoning province, collapsed on Saturday, the last day of the holiday, after spending "almost all" of the seven-day break playing online games, the China Daily said, citing his parents.

Xu Yan, a local teacher, said the "dull life" during the holiday prompted many people to turn to computer games for entertainment.

"There are only two options. TV or computer. What else can I do in the holiday as all markets, KTV and cafeterias are shut down?" the paper quoted Xu as saying.

China has seen an alarming rise in the number of teenage and young adult Internet addicts in recent years, despite attempts to restrict minors from cybercafes and limit online game playing times.

About 2.6 million -- or 13 percent -- of China's 20 million Internet users under 18 are classed as addicts, state media have reported.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:33 PM

Holy crap that is amazing. I guess thats what happens when you don't have anybody controlling you or don't know how to control yourself on the games.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:05 PM

Yeah that game gets way to adicting it seems.[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-28-2007, 08:44 PM

That guy was not the first.. seem like quite a few people have died after week long Marathons
ironically they are all asian

Death of net game addicts alert others

www.chinaview.cn 2005-11-01 15:55:31

BEIJING, Nov. 1 -- The recent deaths of two net gamers have once again raised the issue of the impact of addiction on the online gaming community, and the health risks involved.

A young girl nicknamed "Snowly" died last month after playing the online game "World of Warcraft" for several continuous days during the national day holiday. Snowly's friends, who share the same game community, say that Snowly was a very diligent member and a key official of their community, who was always connected to the Internet.

Several days before Snowly's death, the girl was said to be preparing for a relatively difficult part of the game and had very little rest. She told her friends that she felt very tired.

A big online funeral was held for Snowly one week after her death. But the event was sadly overshadowed by the death of another game enthusiast nicknamed "Nan Ren Gu Shi".

Thereafter, several online game communities have posted announcements to urge their members to pay attention to their heath.

Meanwhile 7 major domestic game makers have agreed to install an anti-obsession system on eleven online game products. The system entered a trial period on October 20.

(Source: CRIENGLISH.com)

ORIGINAL: pm5k

Holy crap that is amazing. I guess thats what happens when you don't have anybody controlling you or don't know how to control yourself on the games.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13020.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	631897  
Old 02-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Parents sue game firm after son's suicide
(Rueters)
Updated: 2006-05-11 17:12

The parents of a 13-year-old boy who killed himself after playing a computer game for 36 hours are suing the game's licenced Chinese distributor for 100,000 yuan ($12,500), a Chinese newspaper reported on Thursday.

In 2004, Zhang Xiaoyi, from the northern Chinese city of Tianjin, jumped out of a window of his family's 24th floor apartment after playing Warcraft at an internet cafe.

His parents said in a legal writ that China Cyber Port Co. Ltd.'s failure to clearly warn of the inherent "dangers" of Warcraft -- a game produced by American company Blizzard Entertainment -- was responsible for their son's death, the Beijing Times reported.

"In America, Warcraft has a 'T' rating, where it's only suitable for children over 13... but we weren't aware," the paper quoted the parents as saying.

The parents said that China Cyber Port clearly knew that the "violent" and "bloody" content of Warcraft was unsuitable for minors.

They should have warned people about the risks of addiction and "taken measures to prevent players' from over-indulging themselves", they said.

Apart from seeking damages, the parents demanded that packaging and materials for all Warcraft games distributed in China refer to the game's "level of violence" and have clear, written health warnings.

"This is a public interest case," said Zhang Chunliang, an online addiction activist, in support of the parents.

"We are appealing to the country to build a healthy and complete game regulation system."

Computer and online gaming has exploded in China in recent years, with an estimated 13.8 million people taking part.

Amid growing concern that more and more young people are becoming hooked, China has issued a raft of regulations aimed at curbing excessive game playing at internet cafes and heavily fining owners that admit minors.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:50 PM

S Korean dies after games session
A South Korean man has died after reportedly playing an online computer game for 50 hours with few breaks.
The 28-year-old man collapsed after playing the game Starcraft at an internet cafe in the city of Taegu, according to South Korean authorities.

The man had not slept properly, and had eaten very little during his marathon session, said police.

Multi-player gaming in South Korea is extremely popular thanks to its fast and widespread broadband network.

Games are televised and professional players are treated, as well as paid, like sports stars.

Professional gamers there attract huge sums in sponsorship and can make more than $100,000 a year.

"They are the types of games that completely engross the player. They are not games that you can play for 20 minutes and stop "
Professor Mark Griffiths

The man, identified by his family name, Lee, started playing Starcraft on 3 August. He only paused playing to go to the toilet and for short periods of sleep, said the police.
"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official told the Reuters news agency.

He was taken to hospital following his collapse, but died shortly after, according to the police. It is not known whether he suffered from any previous health conditions.

They added that he had recently been fired from his job because he kept missing work to play computer games.

Small minority

Online computer games are some of the most popular and largest growth areas in interactive entertainment.

Players can easily get immersed and feel compelled to play for hours at a stretch, particuarly in massively multiplayer online role playing games - MMORPGs - in which thousands of gamers play and interact in shared fantasy or science fiction worlds.

Reports of gamers spending 10 to 15 hours a day in front of video games, such as the highly popular World of Warcraft and EverQuest, are becoming more frequent. Experts say gamers should take regular screen breaks.

Psychologist Professor Mark Griffiths, author of several in-depth studies into online gaming and gambling addiction, told the BBC News website that, according to his research, playing excessively was not problematic in any shape or form for the majority of gamers.

He said: "It does seem to be the case that online gaming addiction for a small minority is a real phenomenon and people suffer the same symptoms as traditional addictions.

"But the good news is that it is a small minority."
In one detailed survey of 540 gamers, Professor Griffith and his team found that there were four playing more than 80 hours a week, which is considered "excessive".

He explained many people liked to play MMORPGs for long periods of time because of the social aspect of the games.

"They are the types of games that completely engross the player. They are not games that you can play for 20 minutes and stop.

"If you are going to take it seriously, you have to spend time doing it," he said.

But he warned there was a difference between "healthy enthusiasm" and "unhealthy addiction." People who sacrificed jobs, partners and loved ones were considered "extreme players".

Unlike help for traditional addictions, such as gambling, there is very little help for computer game addiction, he said.

"It is not taken seriously yet - it is the same for internet addiction," he said.

He advised anyone worried about gaming addictions should contact their local GP and get referred to a psychologist.

More than 15 million people, or 30% of the population, are registered for online gaming in South Korea. The country also host the annual World Cyber Games.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...gy/4137782.stm
Old 02-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Crazy eh?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:17 PM

Though I am addicted to World of Warcraft, I do not think I can play myself to death like the above guys did. There is one trump that overrules games, work, everything: SLEEP! If I am sleepy, I cannot play any longer. Also, food ranks pretty high too, so straight playing would be quite impossible for me.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 PM

my housemates are WoW players , and guess what, they actually have to put up with my RC cuz they hate it so much! im not into WoW myself, whenever my housemates speak about the game i cant understand a single word theyre saying

if it wasnt for my little truck right here i'd be in WoW myself too!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 PM

Yea thats nuts, like it says its a small minority so it shouldn't be a huge deal where people get to the point of trying to band the game or something. I would almost think that the people that play that long must have some sort of mental issue because that seems almost impossible to play that much without sleeping much or eating. I heard another story on a forum that some kid was playing for a while then his parents told him to get off, well he didn't want to so he took a knife and cut his arm down to the bone. Now to do something like that I would say there is some mental issue or something because that is insane. I could see where if you where younger (like me) and you have parents that don't really tell you to get off or set limits, I could see where you could start playing for like 6 hours at a time but 50 hours thats nuts. My parents limit me to only around 2 hours a day which is probably a good thing.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:02 AM

i agree with that tho... they must have something different in their brains to let them feel the game more than they feel sleepy, ive never been able to overcome my sleepiness more than like a day.... im so bad at it, if i blink the next thing i know a few hours have passed and im drooling all over whatever my head was on... i just dont get how these people can stay awake so long in the first place

anyway this was supposed to be about the game itself, not a bunch of freaks who make the headlines playing games like it, so keep it on topic ok?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:08 PM

I have to say that World of Warcraft is a game that strongly stimulates the dopaminergic neural pathwars in the brain; thus the highly addictive results. If this neural stmulation is strong enough, I can see a WoW player literally playing himself to death while forsaking food, sleep, and even sex!

I remember reading a neurological experiment with rats in which electrodes were implanted into thier dopaminergic neural pathways and were stimulated when they plessed a bar (the bar sent very small currents to stimulate these pathways). The rats literally pressed on the bar until they died! They passed up food and rest and even receptive female rats just to press the stupid bar!

The same can be true of WoW, although WoW playes do not really have wires stuck into their brains. The game itself is stimulateing enough by its own merits to cause such drug like addictions.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:38 PM

Some koreans died once from playing too much computer games and didn't eat or sleep or anything for a while...
Old 03-04-2007, 06:42 PM

How did this thread become so mrbid? Dying from a video game? Your chances of dying from a car accident (asuming you live in the US or Canada) are way higher. Car wrecks are quickly becoming the number one cause of death in North America.

I bet kids dying fom video game addiction is a very rare instance, probably on the level of your chances of winning the Megamillions lottery in the western US (that odd is approximately 1 in 175 million).
Old 03-04-2007, 07:27 PM

yeah, my housemates are all WoW addicts and theyre all healthy and alive... abit wierd, but not dead nonetheless
the worst i can see of this is that they treat it like some kinda religion or something, they get so pissed off when you make fun of that game
Old 03-04-2007, 08:46 PM

man that's totally screwed up. Those people have some serious problems. I mean you must have no life to give up your job, partner, and basic necesities for a stupid computer game. If I spend more than 1 or 2 hours playing computer games, my entire neck area just locks up and it is really painful so I stop.

In related news I signed up for the 10 day free trial of wow and I'm probably going to get the game.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 AM

What server are you on you should go on bealgun.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:28 PM

I'm on sarumara. At least I think that's how it's spelled. My friend's on there too, so I kind of wanted to be on that server as well.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:54 PM

my favouritw wow story is the one wen some guy gave his freind a sword and the freind sold it. they had a fight and one of them died. thats retarded.

i kinda know how it can happen, i sat down yesterday after working on my car and a heli and started playing Gears of war, within a few minutes i had the headset on and lights off and curtains closed. the hours slipped by and before i knew it it was 1am...not sure i could play till i died though
Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM

believe it or not there is madd cash to be made off WoW.
My coworkers account had been hacked and it was later blocked. we had to deal with his ranting about it.
when his account was released all his items were gone. the hackers had sold off his items. he damn near blew a fuse.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:31 PM

and yeah virtual world games can be very addicting. a female friend of mine got me hooked on SIMS. and it cost me 2 months of my life. I still ate and slept tho. I eventually started going to work late as a result of the game. I did not even realize I was soo hooked on a game that I once called stupid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.