Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Google Sketchup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Rob6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Sketchup?

Anyone use google skechup? What have you made? Have pictures? Want me to try to make anything (or someone else try)? Post here.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
maxxdout

Default RE: Google Sketchup?

I have made a few things. I made the Official AEA(Anti EMO Army) Headquarters and a few other little things. Its a nice prgram, and I think I'll download it again today, I will also get a pic of the headquarters
Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 AM
SpikeX

I'm 13 and I've made countless parts for the HPI Savage (precise to 0.0000mm), as well as a BMX Bike and some parts for that. I've also made some ramps for my R/Cs and downhill bikes. I'm working on a few things now...

I think it's a very easy to learn and good program, even for me, and you get decent results with it with minimum effort.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:22 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

I'm 13 and I've made countless parts for the HPI Savage (precise to 0.0000mm),
I assume you mean to .0001 mm tolerance. Have you made parts or have you modelled parts to this tolerance? Either way I don't think you have access to a tool or die maker's instruments to measure or produce parts to such a tolerance. I'm not saying you should stop what you are doing or saying you are doing a bad job, I'm just saying thats a really small tolerance that isn't really found anywhere unless you are a tool and die worker. Standard vernier calipers are only good for .05 mm or .001 inch.

Sketch-up is fine for sketching, but for actual modelling you should use a CAD program. Alibre design is a free program ([link=http://www.alibre.com/]download[/link]) that has many tools similar to Inventor. It is very basic and bare-bones but it will prepare you for Inventor, AutoCad, Solidworks, etc in case you ever want to do something serious or follow it as a career choice.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM
SpikeX

Yeah, but I want to make sure that everything does line up. Better safe than sorry.

I also have Alibre Design (Free Edition), and I really like that program too. It's a lot harder to learn than SketchUp, but the results are a lot better and can be exported in .dwg or similar format.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Rob6

Ok heres my latest creation. I shall call it the Fire house station 45. lol

Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
eddiebelanger
My Feedback: (1)

i have it. it is nice i have made parts for my crawler with it