Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Which BMX bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:55 PM
ferrarimk13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which BMX bike?

alright, so i went to the bike shop, and walked out with a Redline 1.2. The store supports Haro, which was nice, but he said they were made cheaply, and GT, which is the average "Staten Island" bike, so i wanted something different, he said the Redlines are the best quality because they are a smaller company, so they are trying to make a better product, and sell it for not too much, i paid $280 with tax, which is great, its blue with a little tan, and really comfortable to ride. What do you think?

The Haro- http://harobikes.com/bmx/bikes/backtrail_x2.php
The Redline- http://www.redlinebicycles.com/frees...kes/RL1-2.html
Old 11-17-2007, 05:23 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good but you gonna need to re-gear that thing!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 PM
ferrarimk13

why is that? the sprocket is too big? it looks bigger than a professional bike. Also, the chain is loose, should i get a tensioner, would it be better? Also, how do you think it will look with blue cables, blue pedals and a blue handlebar? or should i keep it black.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:31 PM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: ferrarimk13

why is that? the sprocket is too big? it looks bigger than a professional bike. Also, the chain is loose, should i get a tensioner, would it be better? Also, how do you think it will look with blue cables, blue pedals and a blue handlebar? or should i keep it black.
The sprocket is pretty big. A smaller one will feel alot better, it does to me. About the blue, if you want to but I would buy by the feel and performance of the parts only. If you really ride this bike then its all gonna look like crap very fast.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:44 PM
ferrarimk13

yeah, i get that, maybe just the cables then, should the chain be loose? its pretty annoying, everytime the bike hits the ground, it rattles like crazy. How could decrease weight, for not too much money?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Dokioto

yeah, i get that, maybe just the cables then, should the chain be loose? its pretty annoying, everytime the bike hits the ground, it rattles like crazy. How could decrease weight, for not too much money?
You have to be kidding me.. It would of been cheaper to buy a better bike then buying parts to make it lighter.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:48 PM
ferrarimk13

a better bike my *****, if you cant answer the question dont post a response
Old 11-17-2007, 10:30 PM
-Inverted-

a better bike my *****, if you cant answer the question dont post a response
Sorry but I agree and am also confused.
How did you have a $300 limit for a bike, but now have money to buy option parts?
I didn't look at the bike, but if it's not full 4130 you wasted money already. Also, the frame may be 4130, but is the forks and bars?

Anyways, to lighten it up. 4130 bars, 4130 forks, titanium spokes, lighter crank, etc

But now your just building a new bike IMO.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:36 PM
annie_himself

The chain should not be loose, just tighten it by loosening the rear axle, bringing it back and bit and tighten it.

To decrease wight you could go brakeless (brakes are for girls [sorry AUDS and Reiko]). I didn't use brakes and I never needed them. Then you won't have any of that loose crap and you could grind off the little mounts that hold the cables under the top tube. I can't tell you much else because I don't know too much about bikes now. Or I forgot it.

Does your bike have that thing under the bars where the cables don't get twisted when you do a bar spin? I forgot that name of it. If so, I would get a new set of bars and forks to get rid of that thing. Dead weight and gets annoying if you ride brakeless.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:15 AM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

The chain should not be loose, just tighten it by loosening the rear axle, bringing it back and bit and tighten it.

To decrease wight you could go brakeless (brakes are for girls [sorry AUDS and Reiko]). I didn't use brakes and I never needed them. Then you won't have any of that loose crap and you could grind off the little mounts that hold the cables under the top tube. I can't tell you much else because I don't know too much about bikes now. Or I forgot it.

Does your bike have that thing under the bars where the cables don't get twisted when you do a bar spin? I forgot that name of it. If so, I would get a new set of bars and forks to get rid of that thing. Dead weight and gets annoying if you ride brakeless.
gyro/detangler.

I never understood brakeless, You cant really stop fast enough to the point if a Mack truck was coming you would either lose your life and your bike, or jump and lose your bike. I will ride with brakes and keep both.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:32 AM
aer-wubby

Fits are nice.. Get that, a Kink, or WTP. Avoid Hi-Tensile steel frames.. You want 100% Chromoly - don't skimp on that!

Inverted - I ride breakless, and I can stop just as fast with brakes.. You basically stand up quick with like a 45 degree angle, it's really haggard, but it works.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:44 AM
Dokioto

I have always liked breaks.. Without them I get into trouble..[:-]
Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 AM
ferrarimk13

lmao, me too, theres too many cars around here, and too many people at the skatepark to not have em, im not sure what the bike frame is made of but this is from their website:
+ Device Technology Design Frame
+ Redline Tubular Chromoly Cranks
+ Aluminum Platform Pedals
+ Alex Rims / 48H
+ Redline Aluminum Flip-Flop Hubs / 14mm Axles
+ Redline Freaky-X Tires
+ Tektro Front & Rear Brake System with SST DC Amplifier
+ Redline Padded FS Saddle
+ Redline Pegs (2 pair) & SST Oryg Detangler

Head Angle: 72.5°
Seat Angle: 70°
Top Tube: 20"
Chainstays: 14.4"
BB Height: 11.8"
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 AM
ferrarimk13

i would pay for accesories, because then the parents wouldnt refuse me getting it, they would rather see a $280 bike, than a $550, which they wouldnt let me get, and then with some parts, i could get it the way i want, without them getting too mad.

Also, how do you guys transport the bikes, do you just bend bacxk the handlebars, lower the seat, and take off the front wheel?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:23 AM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: aer-wubby

Fits are nice.. Get that, a Kink, or WTP. Avoid Hi-Tensile steel frames.. You want 100% Chromoly - don't skimp on that!

Inverted - I ride breakless, and I can stop just as fast with brakes.. You basically stand up quick with like a 45 degree angle, it's really haggard, but it works.
I was looking at the Kink Dutchman a month ago....that thing is sick. I still wanna build a Sunday! Bike, but... it will be expensive.

to the OP, I heard titanium spokes save a lot of weight. How much does it weigh currently?
around 35 lbs and less is great.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 AM
texaschilidog

bikecheck!
Well it says 20.23 on our shop scale. Got some new khe folding tires, ody pc pedals, cut the guides off my frame and sprayed random black spots around my bike. Polished my crank arms too.
its pretty murdered out
Old 11-18-2007, 12:53 PM
ferrarimk13

to the OP, I heard titanium spokes save a lot of weight. How much does it weigh currently?
around 35 lbs and less is great
im not sure if you're talking to me, but i weighed the bike and its about 31 pounds, which isnt too bad. The only bad thing about titanium spokes is that they are super expensive, theres like 60 spokes per wheel, and each spoke is $2.50! http://www.danscomp.com/435935.php?cat=PARTS

Nice bike Texas! i saw those folding tires too, whats different about them?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 PM
-Inverted-

around 35 lbs and less is great
im not sure if you're talking to me, but i weighed the bike and its about 31 pounds, which isnt too bad. The only bad thing about titanium spokes is that they are super expensive, theres like 60 spokes per wheel, and each spoke is $2.50! http://www.danscomp.com/435935.php?cat=PARTS

Nice bike Texas! i saw those folding tires too, whats different about them?
Yep, they are pricey; hence the bike I want to build will be very expensive...[]

31 pounds is great. You can do every trick on the book if its only 31lbs. My current is over 40...it sucks.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:20 PM
ferrarimk13

eeks, Mirra is so lucky, he has the money to get his bike to 24 pounds! I might buy a few titanium spokes for the front wheel, if not for anything but looks, and maybe a carbon fiber seat post, as those arent too expensive, and i love carbon fiber, lol. I removed the reflectors, but kept the chainguard just because i usually wear jeans, so its not too safe.

My favorite rider- Scotty Cranmer. This is his bike, and the parts he has, a lot of titanium http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/bike_ch...556336,00.html
Old 11-18-2007, 01:34 PM
-Inverted-

This thread kinda makes me want to get back into it.... and Danscomp has an error on the price on the one I want that will save me $100 on the frame.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:45 PM
ferrarimk13

which one do you want? i think [link=http://www.danscomp.com/201226.php]this one[/link] would be cool if you got it painted, and its only 3 pounds!!!! Add the rest of the titanium parts, and this thing would weight like 15 pounds, lol
Old 11-18-2007, 03:06 PM
nbk

i ride for seshin, before that i rode for fit.
ive gotten alot of crap from eveyone for dropping fit,
but im glad i did.
check them out seshinbikes.com
i can get you some free grips and shirts too if you decide to go with them.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:13 PM
ferrarimk13

nice!! what kind of riding do you do? the company looks cool, but probably too expensive for me, i like their brake cables, lol
Old 11-18-2007, 03:22 PM
drag racer

if you want to save weight you can drill holes between the spokes or every other spoke... i dunno if this would work alright in BMX but trials bikes have drilled rims.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:25 PM
ferrarimk13

the spokes are too thin i think, they are like 1/8th of an inch, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.