Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

American Idol (maybe a bit of Survivor, too)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:31 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: American Idol

I quit watching American Idol after halfway through the third season. It became all the same for me. The same show theme song (the bass that goes "duh duh, duh duh, duh duh", the same method of how the judges discard the poorer singers, even the annoying Seacrest "...and after 18million votes, the person going home...will be revealed after these messages" has not changed.

Personally, I probably would watch it if they redid the theme song, did away with the annoying commercial break just before they say who goes home, and even switched out Paula, Randy, and/or Simon with someone else. But unfortunately, it is all the same formula, and to me, it has become monotonous.

Now, there are millions of extremely hard core Ameican Idol fans, and that is the show uses the same format, formula, and even very same theme song. But for me personally, it just doesnt appeal to me anymore.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Anomie

I agree with your assessment of the show's lack of changes and style over the seasons. For the most part, I just look past this and try to focus on the Idols and their growth throughout the show's tenure. It's precisely the fact that the process hasn't changed that keeps me coming back. I guess it just makes it easier with which to deal.

Last night's donation drive certainly showed off some talent. I could believe Ann Wilson's lack of high-notes and extension being pinch-vocaled by Fergie. She really hit the mark with that one. I never liked Fergie much, but her voice is so strong when the need arises. Too bad Nancy's guitar took a back seat in the whole thing.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Anomie

So Michael is out [], and Kristy remains [:'(]

Jeez, I need to submit an application to moderate the voters [:-] Once again, Syesha is in the bottom three, and this time they had Carly down there too. What? Carly? She's been one of the most powerful, consistent, and highly-rated singers since the beginning. I don't know how that happened. She's been one of the favorites to finish the whole thing.

Everyone else looked pretty good out there, but between Ryan's shenanigans with Simon and the clips from the previous night, I don't think the Idols were given enough stage.

That's my opinion, of course (but you know I'm right )
Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I didn't see Idol this week...just couldn't get into it. I can't imagine how Jason Castro has held out this long. The guy has nothing. Syesha has shown nothing in the past four (4) shows. Carly and Brooke have been consistent from the very beginning. David Archuleta has blown it one time and has excelled on all other programs. I like Kristy Lee Cook but a big part of the show is versatility and she just doesn't have it. Carly and David are the masters of versatility to this point.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Anomie

I figured either Jason or Syesha would be gone last night, but alas Kristy Lee is no more. The tears were certainly real.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

American Idol is ok but

HELLS KITCHEN is great!

its my favorite reality show thats platform is elimination. they play to be a master chef at a 4star restront.

"hey come over here donkey! look a this, its raw! 'its not my chicken' i just got it back from the coustomer!, 'oh'" ramesy then goes to the table to bang his head and then complains of a headach.

that show is so awsome, last episode they got rid of that dude that was in my quote, he was a total womenizer, one of his quotes " yeah, a room full of women is uselss without a MAN to guide them" what nerve[X(]

anyway, i lost intrest with American Idol the second year, i just was tired of the judges elimating the good people, howerver, i love the auditions fun and laughs
Old 04-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Anomie

Hell's Kitchen is crap. It's not dramatized any more than any other show, but it seems very insincere. It's just too goofy. As for Idol, I pretty much just want to see how my choices compare to the rest of the voting public. The way they try to crank up the tension just doesn't work after all this time - everyone knows what is coming.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 PM
The_Shark

lets agree to disagree[)]

(ia's likes' hell's kitchen)
Old 04-20-2008, 04:45 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

American Idol is ok but

HELLS KITCHEN is great!

its my favorite reality show thats platform is elimination. they play to be a master chef at a 4star restront.

"hey come over here donkey! look a this, its raw! 'its not my chicken' i just got it back from the coustomer!, 'oh'" ramesy then goes to the table to bang his head and then complains of a headach.

that show is so awsome, last episode they got rid of that dude that was in my quote, he was a total womenizer, one of his quotes " yeah, a room full of women is uselss without a MAN to guide them" what nerve[X(]

anyway, i lost intrest with American Idol the second year, i just was tired of the judges elimating the good people, howerver, i love the auditions fun and laughs
HELZ YEAH! HELLS KITCHEN!!!!

That is a show that I would actually bear though American Idol to watch. Last year, I even enjoyed Kitchen Nightmares.

Even more entertaining to me: Ramsey will even override the suggested candidates if there is a poorer cook that should have been put up on the chopping block. I absolutely love to see how someone's strategy to eliminate the other is completely dashed because Ramsey sees through the BS and back stabbing!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Anomie

I have to say that I only watched the first episode, and soon after lost interest. Idol kept me from the beginning (it didn't help that I had the hots for a performer, either), and it's only more compelling as things move forward. I would imagine that happens no matter the show.

If you're following along, that's the whole thing, huh?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 PM
iamnot

i'm following - more or less
idol - i like carly best
big brother - adam - i think he's totally insane and hiding it
dancing w/ the stars - kristy - cause i've been a figure skating junkie for decades

kristy yamaguchi is my only pick that i think has any chance to make it all the way

i usually watch hell's kitchen
but not so far this year

survivor holds no interest for me
Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Anomie

Carly is certainly a standout. I think the fact that she was in the bottom three will motivate her to really push it for this coming performance.

As for other reality shows, I only watch Survivor. I've been stuck on it since the beginning (which was more exciting, honestly) and can't seem to get away. The first Big Brother was cool too - more like an experiment than anything else.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Anomie

Well, so much for that. She did do well, but for the voting... nada. At least Syesha still hangs on.

That was a great time, especially featuring such an awesome composer as a mentor. Andrew has written so many timeless classics that I would be afraid to attempt any of them! I think everyone did well with the material, and Cook really stuck it out there with one of the two biggest lions of the evening. Archuleta probably has not seen 'Cats', or maybe just has not heard that tune being performed by the original (I think it was Grizabella?). I guess most of the time he does it his way, but this was a big switch.

Next week, Neil! I can't wait [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
iamnot

that's about par for my picks
make it a good ways in
then boom, their gone

oh well
at least in bb adam made it to the final two
my daughter says he won't win
you never know how the jury vote will go

and, of course, kristy y is always at the top on dwts
Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
The_Shark

you guys notice that the failures on AI usually are more successfull than the winner of that show? i find that strange.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:41 PM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

you guys notice that the failures on AI usually are more successfull than the winner of that show? i find that strange.
i don't know that i agree

Kelly and Carrie are both pretty darn big
and they were season winners

but daughtry is getting pretty big too
and he was like 4th

and some of the others
dianna degarmo (2nd) and jenifer hudson (7th)
have both turned the exposure into
pretty decent acting/show biz/singing careers
Old 04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: iamnot

Kelly and Carrie are both pretty darn big
and they were season winners
True, especially for Carrie. Holy crap can that girl sing [:-]

Fantasia seems to be doing pretty well these days also. She has released at least two albums of which I am aware.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:37 PM
ferrarimk13

i agree, idol's getting a bit boring, and honestly, i think david archuletta is gay, and sounds too airy for me. Thats my only comment. Lets move on to a real show, Survivor. Its getting controversial, lol. Just kidding, let the thread resume.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Anomie

What a great mentor for the Idols. I've been listening to Neil since 'Hot August Night' in '71(?). That's good stuff. He has been such a well-rounded singer all of these years that it can only do the Idols good to follow his recommendations.

I think Jason is outy tonight. He was so boring on both songs. Syesha was awesome, and I still don't understand why the judges don't see that []

Cook may win the whole thing. It's getting down to the wire!

Don't get me started on Survivor. First Ozzy trusts everyone's words.... gone! Then, Jason trusts everyone's words... gone! All the while James is laughing through every tribal council. He probably realizes that the girls will oust him soon unless there is some insane movement afoot (doubtful).

One thing for certain - Parvati will have no love from the jury if she makes it to S2.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
DaveG55

Well, I didn't see idol last night but apparantly there was some big mix-up with the judges and producers about and how/when they critique the contestants. Paula called a radio station where I live today and was explaining what happened and it seems that all three judges are highly po'd at the producers. From what she said, the judges found out the new plan when the audiance did.
But, to tell the truth, whenever I hear Paula speak I think I'm either listening to a stoner or she's really a closet blond - and a really blond one at that.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Anomie

Yes, she was really embarrassed at the time, too. After the first round of performances, Ryan asked the judges to quickly sum up the first half. Randy went over it quickly, then Paula critiqued Jason on BOTH songs even though they had only finished one. At the time, it looked very fishy, and she stated that she read David Cook's performance comments as Jason's second song. It was very strange.

You're right though, whenever she tries to comment it just seems to come out of the side of her neck
Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I have totally lost interest in Idol for this season. I have never liked Neil Diamond so last nights show was a total bust for me. Jason Castro has nothing yet he is still drawing the votes. Carly Smithson was a far better performer in every area yet she is gone. I am over Idol for this season.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:27 PM
iamnot

hey, hey
on BB, Adam won

so, with carley gone
(a real shame in my book)
i'm 1 for 2 in my picks

and it still looks good for kristy y
on dwts
maybe i'll end up
2 for 3

i saw a bit of the new hells kitchen
the other night
and thought i was watching last season
same insults, same curse words, same excuses
it was a very deja vu moment

there are enough other new shows
i probably won't be following it this year
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: Lightfoot

I have totally lost interest in Idol for this season. I have never liked Neil Diamond so last nights show was a total bust for me. Jason Castro has nothing yet he is still drawing the votes. Carly Smithson was a far better performer in every area yet she is gone. I am over Idol for this season.
I agree with you Howard, but I can't stop watching. It's like an accident on the highway []

Jason should have gone last night, but alas Brooke ended up turning on the water works for the last time. Syesha was really good on Tuesday's episode, but Carly really should be there instead. She had the star quality from the beginning. With all of the hoopla about the change in procedure for the judges, people seem to be focused on scandal instead of Idols. Too bad.

iamnot, no Survivor for you?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 PM
iamnot

nope
no survivor for me
haven't really kept up with it in
several seasons

losing interest in idol too
since carly is gone

the way the voting is going
it will probably end up with
archuletta against syesha

which i think would/will
be a farce

i think
kristy y is still strong in dwts
yeah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.