Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Anomie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Star Trek: The Next Generation

I thought it might be nice to have a thread on one of my favorite subjects - hopefully some other members share this interest (especially since my GH thread was shunned by all [:'(]).

We can discuss whatever - I have videos, DVDs, laserdiscs, novels, reference books (like 10), comics, posters, plates, nitpicker's guides, episode guides... you get the idea. It's my fantasy world! Heh...

Favorite episodes? Characters? Fan fiction? Did you don the pointy ears and go to a convention? It's ok here...

(If you must bring up another Trek series, do it)

Anyway, let's talk!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM
[email protected]

Default RE: Star Trek: The Next Generation

I loved the show and I think a movie is coming soon[&:] I'm not sure. I think data had to be the best on the show. I wunted a deck by deck poster of the ship but could not find one. I'm a nerd but I never went to a star trek show. I still watch it on G4 some times.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, Trekkers!

Can't really think of my favorite NG episode, unless it's the one with the doofuses that couldn't fix their own spaceship, had to steal Jordie. I just can't get my mind around a civilization that has interstellar travel, but doesn't know how their spaceship works.

My favorite NG movie has to be "First Contact". But I lost interest in the whole Star Trek thing after that. The writers lost their imagination or something. I'm still a big fan of the original. "City on the Edge of Forever" has to be one of the best Sci-Fi stories ever made into a TV episode. I used to read Harlan Ellison all the time when I was much younger.

"But Captain, I'm givin' her all I've got!!!"

"She's dead, Jim"

Dang, Scotty, careful with that thing.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reiko, you're a Trekkie too? I have every series on DVD (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise), 100+ novels, models of each enterprise, Starfleet Academy Science ring, and have even lounged at Quarks lounge in Vegas.

My order of preference is as follows
(1) the original series
(2) Enterprise
(3) Voyager
(4) The Next Generation
(5) Deep Space 9
Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Anomie

Cool, replies!

I have one of those cutaway posters, and it was at an online retailer some years ago. Good stuff! It makes a great companion to the Technical Manual, if you want to hit that level of geekiness [X(]

The original series did have some awesome stories, and 'City...' was definitely a classic in the making.

Favorite movie? Hmm... probably Wrath of Khan, simply for the awesome lines during the battle. Also, I have to say that 'Generations' is up there too. Just to see the NG cast on the silver screen was something I'll never forget. I remember cheering when their names flashed on the screen for the first time. Nice!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: i8tweety

Reiko, you're a Trekkie too? I have every series on DVD (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise), 100+ novels, models of each enterprise, Starfleet Academy Science ring, and have even lounged at Quarks lounge in Vegas.

My order of preference is as follows
(1) the original series
(2) Enterprise
(3) Voyager
(4) The Next Generation
(5) Deep Space 9
Tweety, I had no idea you had been assimilated!

TNG as number 4? Ouch.

I do understand, though. It's difficult to surpass the majesty of Gene's original vision. Too bad I was -1 when it aired [:-]
Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 PM
[email protected]

just star trek this is the Imdb link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/ I will go see it as I saw all trek movies. I don't know if you heard this but a lot of the ships design was from nasa. the reason for the body in the front and the engines way back is because it's a magnetic powered engine.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TNG is #4 on my list because it was the first to follow the original series, and couldn't compete in my eyes. It was a little more serious and lacked the subtle humor found in the original series. TNG was missing some of the magic (just as the others are also missing), such as the good natured banter between Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy or the flat one liners of Spock.

In comparing a few of the officers:

Jordie was no Scotty
Data's inner conflict with an emotionless "desire" to be more human paled in comparison with Spock's inner struggle (which was finally resolved in Star Trek IV).
Beverly Crusher wasn't crankly old McCoy.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I like everything but DS9. I got alot of the enterprise episodes on dvd, it was pretty good I think. If you haven't seen the teaser for the movie due out summer '09 than you must. I got tingles. Here, [link=http://www.startrekmovie.com/]click me to see the teaser![/link]

This site is awesome too if you like comparing all the space ships and stuff. If you haven't been here before Reiko, you'll love it! http://www.merzo.net/
Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Reiko
Too bad I was -1 when it aired [:-]
I was 13 when the original first aired. My Dad wouldn't let me watch it, thought it was stupid. I only got to watch it after the last season and it went to reruns and syndication.

"Wrath of Khan" was good, but for some reason I like #IV, the "Save the Whales" movie. It was so full of them laughing at themselves. One of the best lines in the movie was Dr. McCoy saying to Spock, referring to his "death", "You really HAVE gone where no man has gone before"

My favorite NG character would have to be Counselor Troi, for obvious reasons. Wouldn't take much of her mind-reading skills to know what I was thinking.

Do you remember, or did you see, the show a while back when they auctioned off all the Star Trek props. Took a real fan to pay 6 figures for a model of Enterprise four (1st NG Enterprise). And the other fan who bought the "transporter", complete with sound effects.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No WAY!!! DS9 is the best Star trek by far. Then TNG, then the Original, then Voyager, then Enterprise (crap).

The politics and depth of the COHERENT plot in DS9 were great. Loads of TNG players and cameos. The wormhole, the Defiant, the Jem Ha'Dar. Then next gen, cos it took the original, and made it better, and less psychedelic. Voyager, is ok, I still don't think I've seen all of them. As for Enterprise, less said about that the better in my opinion. Here's the media center... ALL TNG, All DS9, except 7 (I'll pay $100 for the series 7 box to anyone), and a pathetic 2 Voyagers, but I'm working on it. I've been hindered since coming to Greece. It doesn't air, and the shops don't sell em. I'm limited to ebay.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93165.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	946534  
Old 05-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Anomie

"Wrath of Khan" was good, but for some reason I like #IV, the "Save the Whales" movie. It was so full of them laughing at themselves. One of the best lines in the movie was Dr. McCoy saying to Spock, referring to his "death", "You really HAVE gone where no man has gone before"
There was also the classic line, 'You mean I have to die in order to get your insight on death?' That whole exchange was priceless!

I really understand the love for the first series, but I still love TNG the best. The long-term character development was wonderful. Apparently, I'm not the only merchandise hound, either.

As for characters, my favorite is Picard followed closely by Data. Deanna is certainly lovely, and I'm sure anyone could benefit from a bit of 'counseling' from her

The correlation between Bones and Beverly is true. She is no 'country doctor', but very passionate about her work! I think Kate Pulaski was a nice addition to season 2, also. The dialog between herself and Data made the change in doctors worthwhile, if you ask me.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Bluebrew

HaHaHa...Honestly I always think of that episode Khodges mentioned when a nitro newbie takes their car to the LHS...MAKE IT GO! Never was a "Trekky" but always liked the shows. My preferences:

TNG
Origional
Voyager
Enterprise
DS9

Never could stand Rieker though...too cocky! Spock was the "Best 1st officer ever" (spoken as comic book guy on Simpsons)
Old 05-10-2008, 10:32 AM
[email protected]

the first interracial kiss was on star trek. they broke all the rules and the show still has a cult following. just thought you might like this but most know this. http://www.nndb.com/people/712/000023643/
Old 05-10-2008, 02:14 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Bluebrew

HaHaHa...Honestly I always think of that episode Khodges mentioned ............MAKE IT GO

YEAH, That's the one!! What was the name of those guys, I can't seem to come up with it.

They really thought Jordie was "shmart"
Old 05-10-2008, 02:16 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Oh, yeah! I forgot about Voyager, that tells u what I think of it. It should have been called Star Trek Politically Correct. The femal captain, black vulcan, indian #1. Come on that show was crap.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Foxy

They were the Pakleds.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Anomie

'Let me guess - they're rubber band broke?'

Yes, the Pakleds. That was a hilarious episode!

'They used their crimson forcefield!'

Love. It.

Oh, yeah! I forgot about Voyager, that tells u what I think of it. It should have been called Star Trek Politically Correct. The femal captain, black vulcan, indian #1. Come on that show was crap.
You no likey the girly captain? [sm=wink_smile.gif]

I'll tell you what, she was a formidable presence at times.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
secretsg

It's the strength of the actors that made TNG good. The acting abilities of the cast made it possible to have full development of all of its main characters. Only DS9 come close to matching it. Voyager and Enterprise were very poor compared to TNG imo.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Foxy

'Let me guess - they're rubber band broke?'

Yes, the Pakleds. That was a hilarious episode!

'They used their crimson forcefield!'

Love. It.

You no likey the girly captain? [sm=wink_smile.gif]

I'll tell you what, she was a formidable presence at times.
Yeh, she was one of the best captains, that's for sure, but the plot was so contrived and they so often ran out of ideas... I mean, seriously, the Klingon afterlife? Perrrrrrlease.

The episode with the double crossing alien captain who pretended to fall in love with her, then tried to screw her over, but she screwed him over, was excellent. I think it was called Requiem.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 PM
khodges

Two other really "girly girls " in the ST movies:

Persis Khambata as the bald female officer on the original movie (rest of that one was like watching paint dry, plus the uniforms sucked), and I thought Kirsti Alley made a pretty good-looking Vulcan in #3.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Anomie

Yes, Lt. Ilea was a package of legs for sure. I don't know about the 'vocoded' voice, though. They should have left her voice alone.

I liked Kirstie too, but my favorite from the films was Robin Curtis, who replaced her in III and IV. She also appeared in a few NG episodes.

Foxy, what's wrong with a little Klingon afterlife? Didn't you enjoy 'Rightful Heir' when Kahless returned to toss Gowron out on his ear?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 PM
khodges

Yes, Lt. Ilea was a package of legs for sure. I don't know about the 'vocoded' voice, though. They should have left her voice alone.
I liked Kirstie too, but my favorite from the films was Robin Curtis, who replaced her in III and IV.
I thought Kirstie was prettier, but Robin did make a better Vulcan (less emotion). I wouldn't kick either one out of my spaceship, though

On a separate note, I was channel surfing the other day, hit on an old "Lone Ranger" episode, one of the later color ones. Guess who the "cowboy in trouble" was?

Ding-Ding-Ding... You're right, it was our favorite space doctor, DeForest Kelly. Boy was he young, must have been several years pre-Enterprise
Old 05-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Anomie

He was in a bunch of westerns back in the 60s. It's hilarious to see some of those actors in non-ST roles. They just seem so awkward sometimes.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 AM
RCtruckRacer

My fav TNG episode was "Skin of evil." Getting rid of Tasha Yar was the best thing the series had done! JMO.

Fav character overall - Seven of Nine. I mean, c'mon! Those outfits... ouch.

I've been to the Vegas Hilton several times. The second time was when they were still building the 2nd 'experience.' There were hardly any people there and we were let through free so many times that the actors started calling us by name! I also have some pics of me in Quarks bar with a Klingon, a Ferengi and one with a REALLY HOT Andorian. She made my antenna wiggle! The drink 'Warp Core Breach' is a killer, you can get them in Quark's bar. One thing I really liked was the rockin slot area next to the experience. Lasers, loud rock and roll, and some pretty friendly people. I had a great time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.