Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Mini Lathe

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:05 PM
hands without shadows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Lathe

I would really love to have access to a lathe so I can mess around, fix, and make stuff. I wouldn't be doing any high precision work like telescope building, I would just be making random parts like RC wheels, potato cannon valves, etc. I took a machining class so I know the basics and I'm no stranger to tools. I have $2500 sitting in my account that I really don't need for anything. I have my tuition paid of to the start of co-op, I live at home, and I have gas and insurance covered. I would like to keep the total purchase under $1500.

If I buy in Canada I would be buying at sticker price. I will get all taxes back because it will be "farm use" If I buy in the US I would have to drive down to Michigan, pay US taxes, pay border taxes, and I would probably be screwed for warranty. I think I will pay the extra and buy in Canada for convience and warranty.

In Canada I have three options:

[link=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93799]Princess Auto 7"x12" mini lathe[/link] - couldn't find a link on their site
-$700 and never goes on sale
-comes with a 3" 3 jaw chuck, centers, and turret tool post
-has ESC
-Handwheels are inch but lead screws are metric, which means that although the hand wheels say one turn is 0.400" it is actually 0.394" or something like that. Its not a huge deal but its not the greatest.
-its not very beefy
-3/4" spindle bore
-lifetime warranty, but parts will have to come in from China
-needs a few basic mods to use it efficiently, I would actually like doing them

The 7"x12" is adequate for what I intended to do, but I if I want to do large work I wont be able to and I'm afraid that when turning steel there won't be enough power/too much chatter. The size of things like the gib adjusting screws scare me.

[link=http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=1520430621081934793&NTITEM=B1979C]Busy Bee 7"x8" metric mini lathe[/link]
-$588 on sale right now
-has ESC
-2 year warranty, BB has a parts warehouse so no waiting for parts and after warranty I can still get parts easily
-its metric [:@]
-8" isn't a whole lot when using jobber drill bits
-3/4" spindle bore
-its not very beefy

My favourite price, but I think its short length will come back to haunt me when I want to drill holes.

[link=http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=1520430621081934793&NTITEM=B2227L]Busy Bee 10"x18"[/link]
-$988 on sale right now
-comes with a 5" 3 jaw chuck, centers, and turret tool post
-it doesn't have an ESC but it has a geared head so I still won't have to change belts
-2 year warranty, BB has a parts warehouse so no waiting for parts and after warranty I can still get parts easily
-fairly sure its in inches
-1" spindle bore
-bigger than I have room for on my workbench, not a big deal to make a stand
-there are milling tables sold for it

Very beefy, lots of room to grow, should last forever.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the 7"x12" and the 10"x18". Can anyone offer any insight? Anything else I should be considering? Any advice?

Please refrain from posting anything like "I would buy the 10"x18", its most expensive so its probably the best."
Old 06-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Longhair

Default RE: Mini Lathe

Your best bet would be to ask at Practical Machinist
Old 06-23-2008, 06:52 AM
VIPER458

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

I would really love to have access to a lathe so I can mess around, fix, and make stuff. I wouldn't be doing any high precision work like telescope building, I would just be making random parts like RC wheels, potato cannon valves, etc. I took a machining class so I know the basics and I'm no stranger to tools. I have $2500 sitting in my account that I really don't need for anything. I have my tuition paid of to the start of co-op, I live at home, and I have gas and insurance covered. I would like to keep the total purchase under $1500.

If I buy in Canada I would be buying at sticker price. I will get all taxes back because it will be "farm use" If I buy in the US I would have to drive down to Michigan, pay US taxes, pay border taxes, and I would probably be screwed for warranty. I think I will pay the extra and buy in Canada for convience and warranty.

In Canada I have three options:

[link=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93799]Princess Auto 7"x12" mini lathe[/link] - couldn't find a link on their site
-$700 and never goes on sale
-has ESC
-Handwheels are inch but lead screws are metric, which means that although the hand wheels say one turn is 0.400" it is actually 0.394" or something like that. Its not a huge deal but its not the greatest.
-its not very beefy
-3/4" spindle bore
-lifetime warranty, but parts will have to come in from China

The 7"x12" is adequate for what I intended to do, but I if I want to do large work I wont be able to and I'm afraid that when turning steel there won't be enough power/too much chatter. The size of things like the gib adjusting screws scare me.

[link=http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=1520430621081934793&NTITEM=B1979C]Busy Bee 7"x8" metric mini lathe[/link]
-$588 on sale right now
-has ESC
-its metric [:@]
-8" isn't a whole lot when using jobber drill bits
-3/4" spindle bore
-its not very beefy

My favourite price, but I think its short length will come back to haunt me when I want to drill holes.

[link=http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=1520430621081934793&NTITEM=B2227L]Busy Bee 10"x18"[/link]
-$988 on sale right now
-comes with a 5" 3 jaw chuck, centers, and turret tool post
-it doesn't have an ESC but it has a geared head so I still won't have to change belts
-fairly sure its in inches
-1" spindle bore
-bigger than I have room for on my workbench, not a big deal to make a stand
-there are milling tables sold for it

Very beefy, lots of room to grow, should last forever.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the 7"x12" and the 10"x18". Can anyone offer any insight? Anything else I should be considering? Any advice?

Please refrain from posting anything like "I would buy the 10"x18", its most expensive so its probably the best."
i ownt the first one you listed. i love it. ive never made anything over .5" in dia. but for what i wanted it for it works great. one thing i highly reccommend tho is a quick change tool post like this one

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=-139540609

as soon as i can afford one its on my list of things to get...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Anomie

You know, I use a few different lathes at work every day, but until now I knew squat about mini lathes [&:]

From what I see, the 7x8 Busy Bee looks to be a great deal. On any machine that small, having any swing beyond about 2" will probably not make any difference. Turning a part over that diameter is going to put such a tremendous load on the motor that it may not be effective in yielding a decent finish. In this hobby, however, you likely will not need any more than that.

I agree with Viper, too - a fast tool change will pay for itself in no time.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 PM
hands without shadows

I ended up getting the 10x18 today. The 7x8 is just too small, and for $300 more than the 7x12 I got a lathe thats at least 8 times the size. The only real disavantage was unloading the thing. It took a skid steer, two guys, and an hour.

I snapped a pic of it with my phone because my family took the camera on their camping trip. I'll get better pics when they get back.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:44 PM
paintstikker

The only real disavantage was unloading the thing. It took a skid steer, two guys, and an hour.
Ugh, please don't say that about that lil thing - I'm scared to think how I'd get a Bridgeport milling machine off my trailer if they end up giving it to me at work - my friend has a 8 wheeled Hyster forklift but it's too big to maneuver into my garage and my tractor's hydraulics definitely won't handle the load...[:@]
Old 06-27-2008, 01:05 AM
hands without shadows

Its a floor model right? If your floor is concrete you might be able to set it down in your garage with the forklift and then simply push it into place with something.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM
VIPER458

ORIGINAL: paintstikker

The only real disavantage was unloading the thing. It took a skid steer, two guys, and an hour.
Ugh, please don't say that about that lil thing - I'm scared to think how I'd get a Bridgeport milling machine off my trailer if they end up giving it to me at work - my friend has a 8 wheeled Hyster forklift but it's too big to maneuver into my garage and my tractor's hydraulics definitely won't handle the load...[:@]
wow! they are going to GIVE it to you! thats amazing! heck you could just have a big party and invite some of your biggest friends over and have the trailer in the driveway and be like "well i forgot to move the trailer. lets just get the mill off it really quick so i can put it around back"
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Anomie

Having a Bridgeport in the garage is a freaking dream! All I have is a Dremel and a vise

I agree with HWS, just fork it onto some lengths of pipe, and then roll it into position.

Also, Hands - I can't wait to see some better pictures when you get that lathe set up. I want to see tons of custom parts!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

That's true. I'd love to have a small Bridgeport too. We've got a lot of nice machines like that at work. Built like a tank (which granted, makes it hard to move) and made to last a lifetime. I'm using an old Cincinnati horizontal mill at the moment that's been around since WW2.

For practicality, though, my Taig machines work very well for small, RC parts.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:53 PM
hands without shadows

Some pics for your viewing pleasure/

Those of you who have a 7x will appreciate the size difference:

Speeds and feeds:

Leadscrew on/off. The smaller lathes I was looking at don't have this:

Cross slide is 0.002" on the diameter. Its dead on, within half a thou:

Compound is 0.002"

5" 3 jaw chuck, the smaller lathes have a 3". I will pick up a 5" 4 jaw for it eventually.

Feed engage/disengage. Its very smooth:

5/8" drill chuck:

Tailstock lock. Notice its a nut instead of a handle. It will be the first thing to go:

I'm going to buy a few more basic tools and some more aluminum stock tomorrow or Thursday.

Don't think you can cheap out and grind your own 1/2" parting tool like I did
Old 07-04-2008, 08:34 PM
hands without shadows

I made my first real parts today, real meaning something I planned and that wasn't just messing around.

Trinity No Brainer's retail for $12.99, this was 2 or so inches of 3/8" aluminum rod.....about 30 cents

I did somehow manage to strip the bolts that hold the compound rest. They have a round bottom with flats so I'll have to make my own. Pretty much all the black nuts and bolts on this machine suck. Luckily there are only 4 of each that are tightened/loosened during use and the SHCS are ok.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Mr. Mugen

Here's my toy's....well some of them.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78602.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	984215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27464.jpg
Views:	53