Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Who listens to Black Metal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:37 AM
ttoks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who listens to Black Metal?

thats song's actually from ... and justice for all (the album just after cliff passed), the playing in that clip is much better thent he recorded version of that song though.

i agree with you they lost there sound after cliff, but, i hope death magnetic (due this year!) will be better then there last few attempt's, st anger particulary wasn't very good produced, they claim it should be a lot closer to there first three albums then the previous few though, i blame bob rock, there sound went downhill after he started producing there albums, he's gone now too.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Anomie

Yes, I didn't mention that album in my previous post, but Cliff did have an influence on it - 'To Live Is To Die' has a melody written by him, and the band dedicated that song to his memory if I am correct.

I agree that there are not many metal listeners posting here, but some are into it a bit. I knew finding listeners of Black metal would be a stretch, but perhaps a few will investigate after reading this thread
Old 08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

What is Black Metal music ?
Is it like Black Sabbath?

Thanks.Jackjet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72936.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1004397  
Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: Jackjet

What is Black Metal music ?
Is it like Black Sabbath?

Thanks.Jackjet
Black Sabbath was one of Doom Metal's progenitors, all the way from the '60s. Many people don't make the connection between Sabbath and the newer Doom movements of the late '80s until now. Black Metal, on the other hand, does share traits with the Doom genre, but generally speaking Black is from a differing mindset. The origins are most decidedly in the north lands of Europe, and much of the folklore is rooted in Norse traditions.

Black Metal does tread deeply into subjects that are not allowed here, but suffice to say it is far from Sabbath.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 AM
thefog

wow black metal takes me back..
i was playing bass in a bm band in 93 we even had a few gigs.
the music from the early 90's was (is) the best.
for anyone wanting to experience bm i'd recommend De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by mayhem.

i got out of the scene because i got fed up with all the "im more kvlt than you" arguments and i became a father to 4 [&:]the only thing i have left from the old days is a stack of ancient demo tapes and my username... but people think im emo when the see it.
not listened to any of the newer bm but i sometimes give Dunkelheit a blast on the stereo just to confuse my kids.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Anomie

Yes I agree that Mayhem album is a top-notch example of this genre. Anything by Burzum would make almost anyone confused. Varg has a singular way of getting his sad and angry point across.

By all means, do tell more about this band (if you don't mind). If it is anything out of line for this forum you can always PM me. I'd love to hear about it.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 PM
fishy boy

i'mmore of a thrash metal/metalcore guy
Old 08-15-2008, 02:50 PM
fishy boy

death metal is awsome too.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
fishy boy

i think venom is the coolest black metal band of all.i like more of old school BM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:50 PM
warheadforever

Is black metal anything like heavy metal?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Anomie

I think 'heavy' metal is a term which encompasses many different genres of music. I suppose you could call many of these bands heavy metal, but there is quite a difference from the mainstream definition.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:17 PM
AlienWarez

I suggest You all go find these movies.

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

and

Global Metal

Some guys here might have seen it, Make sense of it all..

I just went to a Opeth concert a month ago, And just got back a week ago from the Slipknot and Disturbed concert. AMAZING!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:20 PM
fishy boy

Forever a moggot man \,,,/>.<\,,/
Old 08-16-2008, 11:37 PM
AlienWarez

This is black Metal

Necrophagist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frMWXKokC_k
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Anomie

That band is actually categorized as Death. Black has ties to Germanic history relating to pre-Christian Europe. The full discussion of the motivation and reasoning behind the genre cannot really be discussed here because of the moral and political implications, but suffice to say the list of better-known bands is short. It is possible that this subject may have been better avoided.

If you do some research on the history of this, you'll find there is quite a difference. If you wish, I can PM you a strict definition.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:22 AM
screaminglife

I do love me some early black metal (hellhammer, bathory, venom... you know who i mean).

some of the newer stuff not so much.

And Burzum is for the most part, awful.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Anomie

Awful? Everyone is entitled to opinion and interpretation, but I must say that his music and ideas are at the pinnacle of the reason Black started in the first place. It is true that the edges are rough and some of what he said can be defined as fanatical, but the heart is real... if you ask me.

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 AM
screaminglife

Burzum is one of the few bands I won't just say "oh... they aren't my cup of tea...but they aren't bad", because honestly I don't feel that way. There are some bands (black metal and not) who I'm not a fan of, but I can see why they have a huge fanbase.

I own Det Som Engang Var, Filosofem and Hliðskjálf. I think Hliðskjálf is by far the best one merely because he doesn't try to sing! I enjoy listening to it now and again, which can't be said of pre-prison Burzum. That is about the music only, not the message.

The message of Varg is over the top. He's cooled down about it over the years, but I still think he went way too far. As far as it being the pinnacle of the black metal mindset? maybe for a brief time in the early 90s in Norway, but not in the whole scene.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Anomie

You're right about the mindset, and I should have mentioned what you said about the early period of his work. That is the time (like Aske and Filosofem) which many consider his tellings brilliant. The stories of an ancient landscape are fantastic, and I will admit they grabbed me and provided a lens through which I began to see events of the past.

As for the prison issue with Euronymous and the churches, that is definitely different, and not something I would call 'inspiring' or 'influential'. Those that follow that sort of thing are mindless.

I am glad you offered this viewpoint.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 PM
screaminglife

Well when Varg was most motivated, he was also the most radical and is also the time that most consider his best stuff. I just don't see it that way. Thats all

I liked early black metal stuff that was much more like dirty NWOBHM that was sped up (Venom, Bathory, Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate, etc). I'm much more an early black metal fan because it didn't have the overt tones it had in the 1987-1993 Norway era stuff. It's more about being loud, mean, and evil looking to old people in high places to piss em off and make little kids think you are cool. Just look at Venom! They even admit, it was all a shame to make money and look cool. I sorta admire that. Not that they sold out, but from the beginning it was never serious.

Though some of the Norway stuff is okay. Mayhem has its moments. Immortal is cool, even though Abbath has all but admitted its kind of a joke now. Darkthrones first album is great, after that it was sorta meh.... It's not my favorite, but its not the worst thing in the world.