Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Who listens to Black Metal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Anomie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who listens to Black Metal?

I don't mean some Dimmu Borgir or that cheese eatin' CoF, but the good stuff.

Anyone? I'm just curious.

I know there is a song thread and there have been other music threads, but this is specific to the [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Metal]black[/link] genre.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:09 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Default RE: Who listens to Black Metal?

idk, depends on how you classify Dragonlord, Ceremonial Castings, Mayhem. there's probably a few more bands i listen to that could be classified as black metal. i don't really pay attention to genre's. ether i like something or i don't, that's how i classify stuff. i think most of it is stuff like Sepultura which i think is classified as death metal.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Anomie

Some say that anything produced after Mayhem came to an end cannot be classified as such. I don't like to over-categorize things, and pretty much any other genre of music is not subject to that same opinion. It seems that the original Black Metal explorations were unique to the time period and cannot be replicated no matter the motivation.

Mayhem is widely recognized as a defining force within the Black Metal circle, but the others elude me. In the end, I know that things have changed since the events of the mid '90s, and the genre is likely to lose it's pull within the music industry in Europe.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

I like music, sung in english by ppl that arent constipated.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to play drums in a death metal band. To be honest, stuff like Vader is about as heavy as I can take, and anything heavier is just too difficult to listen too. Guess I'm getting old.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Anomie

If you're old, I'm in trouble.

I can understand some genres being too much to take. For me, most 'death' metal is crap. Way too monotone with the vocals, and after a short while everything sounds the same. Some say that about Black too, but I'm just saying.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: Reiko

If you're old, I'm in trouble.

I can understand some genres being too much to take. For me, most 'death' metal is crap. Way too monotone with the vocals, and after a short while everything sounds the same. Some say that about Black too, but I'm just saying.
Black metal.. hmm I love metal, not sure if i thought about a catagory for the metal i listen to,

Death - is that black metal?
Cradle of Filth?
Slayer?
Opeth?
Machine Head?
Morbid Angel?
Obituary?

Some off the top of my head.

But I think i'm getting old to, because sometimes its just to much for me these days.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Anomie

Obituary and Morbid Angel are most definitely classified as Death. Early CoF, like 'Principle' and 'Dusk' are Black, but they quickly became very gothic and theatrical beyond those first efforts. Slayer has always been a combination of speed and thrash in my mind, and Opeth crosses a few different styles. They have some material, like on 'Morningrise' and 'Orchid' that is downright progressive. Some of those tracks, however, go deep into the Black realm. They are traditionally considered cutting edge Death. That is one of the most original and talented bands I've heard. Just incredible stuff there. Akerfeldt's vocals are the stuff of dreams.

The strictest Black is really quite a niche. Some consider anything outside Norway and Denmark to be false, while others contend that the material, atmosphere and emotive force are what make the distinction. There is an outstanding band from France called 'Blut Aus Nord' (literally, 'Blood From North') that has pressed beyond their borders and really made a difference in opening minds.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 PM
RCtruckRacer

I saw Merciful Fate in 1984 when I was 18... Does that count? Not the old part, I know I'm old. KD went on and on about finding 'Melissa.' throughout most of the show. Apparently someone had stolen it some weeks prior. They were horrible - nobody ever even seemed to be in the same bar, much less on the same note. The drummer was practically hidden backstage for some reason - and I had the impression that he was the more talented member. I only stayed about half of the show. I know everyone can have a bad night, but this went way beyond that.

I try not to pay too much attention to the whole sub-genre thing. I either like something or I don't. But I suppose I am mostly old school in my metal tastes.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Anomie

Wow, I haven't heard that name since I mentioned it in the 'What song....?' thread. Rob, I had no idea you liked King Diamond [:-] They were a parent's worst nightmare back in the day. Kinda made Motley Crue seem more like Lawrence Welk [&:]

Not Black, but classic metal nonetheless. I can identify with the old-school for sure, and I am not fond of the way metal (and lots of other music) has been over-categorized in the past several years. It seems that everyone wants their own label. For me, Black Metal is extremely unique and I can very much identify with the mindset of a faction within that.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 AM
slayerphonics

What band would you recommend to introduce someone to black metal?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Anomie

Some early Immortal, Emperor's 'In The Nightside Eclipse', or if you really want to get into the deep stuff, try some early Burzum. 'Filosofem' is a great example of his work.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM
youwish16

i was watching something on gorgoroth earlier. kinda creepy lol
Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Anomie

Yes, Gorgoroth are definitely not for the timid. That is a style that takes some concentration in the beginning.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:50 PM
slayerphonics

Some early Immortal, Emperor's 'In The Nightside Eclipse', or if you really want to get into the deep stuff, try some early Burzum. 'Filosofem' is a great example of his work.
I listened to that Album In the Nightside Eclipse.. to much for me, maybe when I was younger I would of enjoyed it more. My tasted in music has been shifting a little as i'm getting older.

I do like Dimmu though
Old 07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Anomie

Dimmu, meh. It's too bad they changed so much after 'Enthrone...'. That was a landmark album. Shagrath's vocal prowess hit a high at that time. I don't think he's capable of as much power anymore. Some of the tracks on 'Spritual...' are really progresssive, and I believe that turned off many fans at the time. Decent album, however.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 AM
supamagician

I really dont see how someone could like that stuff. Its like spastik playing and yelling. Besides the good stuff is the classics, and the oldies. 2 words: Elvis Presley
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Anomie

Everyone has different tastes. Variety is the spice, you know? I also listen to the compositions of much more peaceful music, but this one is just about the Black. It's still fairly rare to come across another listener.

I really believe that it takes some sort of motivator to begin with this type of atmosphere. The reason behind listening to music with such a narrow focus is different for everyone I'm sure, and mine was a connection to the isolation of the north lands. Many of these artists (especially the pioneers) are more akin to Viking Metal, and that was one of the basic tenets of the genre. The lands are resplendent with legends and stories of the simpler past, and very much in tune with their historic battles. The music can carry you away.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:13 AM
dsales

Well, I just tried out some metal music, not sure which type but it was called 'Blooddrunk' by children of bodom and I hated it and im only 16! There was excessive swearing and apart from hearing some swear words I couldnt understand the rest of the music, now my head hurts and I feel sick [:-]
Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Anomie

Ahh... yes. Children Of Bodom are best experienced through their old releases. The newer stuff is kind of thrashy, and not much fun. No wonder you have a headache! That is their newest album, and far from decent metal, if you ask me. I don't blame you for not enjoying that stuff.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:12 AM
slayerphonics

Ahh... yes. Children Of Bodom are best experienced through their old releases. The newer stuff is kind of thrashy, and not much fun. No wonder you have a headache! That is their newest album, and far from decent metal, if you ask me. I don't blame you for not enjoying that stuff.
I don't like new children of bodom their first release was the best.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:15 PM
nonname

This thread has me wondering ... What is Amon Amarth labled as?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:32 AM
ttoks

not a real fan of black metal, but the pre black album metallica is some fine listerning, thrash has to be my fav genre.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=551_hC414UY]harvestor of sorrow-Metallica[/link]

nile is alright on days that i feel like cranking something i can't even understand jsut to relise some anger

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_snHHioLgd4]nile, annihilation of the wicked[/link]

slipknot, sometimes is alright (profanity, if anyone wishes for me to take this link down just PM me)

[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgxQIldGU]slipknot-diluted[/link]

i know i know, none of that is black metal, but i find it hard to even find some fellow metal listerners around here.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Wisconsin Nitro

it makes my head hurt
Old 07-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: nonname

This thread has me wondering ... What is Amon Amarth labled as?
Viking metal, or you could call them progressive or melodic death metal. Herein lies the problem with many of these bands - too many categories!

That is a very good band. They really keep the Viking fires burning, like Bathory back in the day.

ttoks, that old Metallica is also my favorite from them. Everything up until the loss of Cliff. By the time they stepped up to Master Of Puppets, the sound was so polished and tight! Guitar work became even more technical than on Lightning. Good stuff!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.