Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.
View Poll Results: A poll
Under 10 years old
9.47%
10-15 years old
44.21%
15-20 years old
18.95%
20+
16.84%
Not yet...
10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

at what age did you get a cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 AM
calvino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: at what age did you get a cell phone?

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

I have no problems with cell phones as far as communication is concerned. My issue is they are more of a trend, like Abercrombie, and Starbucks, then used for their intended purposes. Text messages are excuses for people to talk to eachother about a conversation so meaningless it's not worth hearing eachothers voices; at least that's what I get out of them.
i tend to agree, now everyone talks in that "other language" called "text", i see how texting maybe helpfull if you can't call someone because of noise, but its kindof dumb how we communicate via text when we can just say it much easier
Old 07-27-2008, 12:51 PM
youwish16

i think i got my first at 16, had to buy it and pay for it myself. when i was a about 18 my parents told me if i stay in school they will pay for my cell phone, so i got a new phone from t-mobile because my other one was a tracfone. im now 22, still with t-mobile, have a sidekick slide and my parents are still paying my cell phone bill haha im still in school though so yea

i know alot of ppl that txt more than talk on their cell phones. i guess its just the "cool" thing these days
Old 07-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What seems to peeve a lot of us older people is that the texting and IM thing can come over into forum sites. I do it a little as LHS is a lot easier than typing out Local Hobby Shop but using "txt" instead of adding one more letter to make "text" is lazy. It's not that difficult ot reach over and hit Shift either to capitalize a letter. Besides, my fingers are too old, fat and not so nimble any more to try text messaging. I have a helluva time just trying to punch in a phone number, much less trying to type on that thing.
I'll be the first ot admit that I'm lazy so I'd rather be able to have the phone dial a number for me yet. Now I'm waiting for the day when I can just talk to my computer and have it enter what I want to say in forum sites without using this stupid keyboard! Yes, I'm a lousy two-finger typer on top of everything.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
Now I'm waiting for the day when I can just talk to my computer and have it enter what I want to say in forum sites without using this stupid keyboard! Yes, I'm a lousy two-finger typer on top of everything.
The 2009 Lincoln MKS has a GPS navigation system that you can just talk too without having to type anything into it. For example, you can say "movie" and a list of movie theaters will pop up on the screen. Then say a particular movie theater and it will show the movies playing and the scheduled times. And you can "upload" photos, music, etc. to the vehicle's computer. However, I don't know if you can connect to this forum and say what you want typed. LOL.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 AM
s7jstep1

i got mine at 16 when i got my liscense. i am in need of a new one though. it doesnt have a camera and it had a huge dead spot on the screen.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:18 AM
dsales

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
Now I'm waiting for the day when I can just talk to my computer and have it enter what I want to say in forum sites without using this stupid keyboard! Yes, I'm a lousy two-finger typer on top of everything.
The 2009 Lincoln MKS has a GPS navigation system that you can just talk too without having to type anything into it. For example, you can say "movie" and a list of movie theaters will pop up on the screen. Then say a particular movie theater and it will show the movies playing and the scheduled times. And you can "upload" photos, music, etc. to the vehicle's computer. However, I don't know if you can connect to this forum and say what you want typed. LOL.
My BMW navigation system also does that (but you have to pay extra), its crazily cool, you can just tell in a phone number and it will type it in, or name a track on your ipod. Beware, it usually misunderstands you and takes about 2 years to understand your accent [:@]
I only found it useful to show off to my friends for a week, then its a total waste of money.

Ron: They do sell those computers which you can talk to but their for disabled people.... Not cool... Just buy a bigger jeyboard!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dsales
My BMW navigation system also does that (but you have to pay extra), its crazily cool, you can just tell in a phone number and it will type it in, or name a track on your ipod. Beware, it usually misunderstands you and takes about 2 years to understand your accent [:@]
I only found it useful to show off to my friends for a week, then its a total waste of money.

Ron: They do sell those computers which you can talk to but their for disabled people.... Not cool... Just buy a bigger jeyboard!
It's actually an option on the Lincoln as well. I was also curious about how well the "car" would learn one's speech based on some older recognition programs I used to own. However, the Lincoln representative programed it while I was in the car and it worked quite well. I was surprised since the older "programs" required the reading of certain pages of text into the computer.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Auds

[quote]ORIGINAL: calvino

ORIGINAL: iamnot

i have no need for one, they are nice to have, also all the fees..... that they charge is a pain, whatever, thats life[:'(]

Calvino...what are you thinking??? We haven't even gotten our first bill. You don't even know how many fees there are going to be and you don't know that it is a pain!!! so stop thinking you are Mr. Know it all! [sm=75_75.gif]
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
novakmaxx

I got it wen I was 12. I had a razer. I am buying a black berry some time.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:57 AM
dsales

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: dsales

It's actually an option on the Lincoln as well. I was also curious about how well the "car" would learn one's speech based on some older recognition programs I used to own. However, the Lincoln representative programed it while I was in the car and it worked quite well. I was surprised since the older "programs" required the reading of certain pages of text into the computer.
Thats a different system to the BMW one which is why it probably understood you much quicker, once you get the BMW it automatically is supposed to recognise your voice, at first its impossible and then it gets better, saying that, I only used the voice recognition for the first 2 weeks, then i just found it quicker to use the iDrive (which is also crap)

Novakmaxx, my dad used to have a blackberry it the keys are so small its a challenging task by itself to type a number into it. However it you have small fingers then its a great phone
Old 08-08-2008, 02:40 AM
Wild YFZ 450

I got my first phone when I was probably around 7.. It was some old nextel that was my moms and they figured it was easier to give to me then cancel and go through all of that.. Now i am almost 15 and I have probably had more phones then you can imagine.. honestly I would say about 50-55 phones( I have draws of phones and I donate alot of them for the soldiers).. Right now I have a BlackBerry its just when the new thing comes out I just have to have it.

Back on subject.. If people have such a big problem with txting there is a simple solution..Don't text..I find it very usefull to text other then call somebody sometimes.. When you text you don't make as much noise.. don't you hate those people in the restuarant being loud moths talking the whole time.. Would it not be easier if they where texting for you. Like right now it is light i want to talk to some friends and my mom is sleeping so instead of talking and risk waking her up i can text and she won't hear it. I find texting more usefull also when I am talking to more then 1 person.. Wich is most of the time for me, Instead of talking switching to the other line and etc. Its also VERY stupid how the school can take away your phone and put a fine on it to get your own PERSONAL property back..I mean what if somebody turned there watch into a phone...then they could take your watch? I don't get it.. I text during class all the time, honestly half the time the teachers don't care that much with the more advanced kids becuase they know there doing good.. ( Im in 1st track ) So we are actually aloud to text 80% of the time and if we get caught its not really that big of a deal. If a kid doesn't want to pay attention and text or w/e let him as long as he isn't ennoying the class I do not see that big of a problem with it.. I mean it is his grades the he is throwing away....Idk thats just my opinion on things and sorry for the bad typing but its mad late.

Also: Why did i bring this thread back when it was a month old? Wow I must be really tired could have sworn it was on the first page ughh..
Old 08-08-2008, 09:41 PM
sunco1

I got my first phone in 8th grade. Still have it. Lol. My upgrade is in November.

I never call. I text a whole bunch though. Between all my texts I average around 17000 Sent and recieved every month. [X(]
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: sunco1

I got my first phone in 8th grade. Still have it. Lol. My upgrade is in November.

I never call. I text a whole bunch though. Between all my texts I average around 17000 Sent and recieved every month. [X(]
Thats an average of 566 a day. Your going to have to scan a bill for me to believe it.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:56 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: sunco1

Thats an average of 566 a day. Your going to have to scan a bill for me to believe it.
GEESH, thats crazy, man, hope you got unlimited texting, man, worse than me and the computer[>:],
Old 08-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Wild YFZ 450

ya 17000 is a bit way to much that is crazy... the most I ever reached was somewhere around 6000 or so not even.. I usually only use like 2-3 thousand.. Thats crazy dude.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Midget

Just got my first Phone today, 16 woooooo.
iPhone, and i'm not paying for it, WOOOO
Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Midget

Just got my first Phone today, 16 woooooo.
iPhone, and i'm not paying for it, WOOOO
haha, ya, your parents will prob love it till they "get the bill"
Old 08-10-2008, 11:20 AM
adz06

got my first phoen when i was 13-14 so i did bought it of friend wihtout parents knowing sicne then i have had about 15-20 phones just buying and selling them every few months lol currently i have the LG viewty which is unreal my favourite then other phone lying about or about to me sold inlclude 1st gen iphone,sagem myv65, o2x3 sony errison k750i and loads of other old old phones.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Oasis TR

I text when I know I cant really talk on the phone..It's quick..to the point and it lets me do other stuff instead of talking on the phone..And I HATE MY PHONE..it's a POS!!! Nokia N75..only phone thats worse is the Samsung sync..[X(]
Old 08-10-2008, 05:51 PM
madmax22

I got mine when i was 10 so me nd my parents could keep in toutch when i went skiing or something. then lost it then got my neighbors old phone then broke it by accident. then about a year later we all got new phones and then i had that one for a year, went threu the pool all i could was text after that. got my bbrothers old phone cuz he got the iphone then it went thru the washer machine and then i bought a blackberry curve, didnt like it so i took it back and i got some slide phone like the erikson but mine was more $$$ was going to get the new iphone but spent $600 on a TC5 kit with all the stuff i need to get her running put it together and yea.... so i still have this slide phone thing.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Oasis TR

Phones are a convenience..and a leash..
Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
dar123

i must have been about 9 when i first got my phone! it was a nokia i can`t remeber what model though...! now i`m thirteen and im addicted to txting i can go through about 5 to 15 euro`s credit in a week easily! ohh yea my phone currently is a sony ericsson w200i pas as you go!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:06 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good rant CONGRADULATIONS. I guess texting is a necessity since they can't spell. I'm 82 how did I ever survive???
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supposedly this an RC forum let's keep it that way. I've seen posts on what song are you listening to??? This generation has much to learn but doubt they will.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
hands without shadows

This is the off-topic forum.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.