Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.
View Poll Results: A poll
Cane Sugar
90.48%
Corn Syrup
9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Sodas: Sugar or Corn syrup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sodas: Sugar or Corn syrup?

I went to the store today, x-mas eve dinenr shopping for turkey & ham for x-mas dinner tonight.
Grabbed for myself a Jarritos! Yummy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80510.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1095838  
Old 01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well I just got back from grocery shopping. I was stumped while looking for Morton Quik Cure (which I never did find), and stumbled across 2 rows of Coke on the shelf that were tall and glass......yup hecko en mexico! I was thinking I was seeing things.....maybe because I read this thread and wished such a thing would migrate as far north as I am. I snagged up a few bottles and stuck em in the cart. When I got to the register she asked if I knew how much they were......no....I have no idea....probably a buck a piece I said. She called the usual stick boy and he confirmed they were 2 bucks a bottle! Oh well I wanted them anyway. SO now they sit in the fridge chillin for the right moment when they reach 41F or cooler....hehe. Can't wait!

Kevin
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Oh wow! Good call, $2 or not, you will not be disappointed once you pop 'em open and take a sip! If you havent had a true sugar soda in a while, I'm warning you, be ready for a slight kick!

I was talking to some guy from L.A, and he says they are much cheaper down there (I guess the vecinity to the border makes a difference).
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
calvino

down here we have tons of 99 cent only stores in which you can find TONS of stuff from Mexico including sodas..... i remember being down there and they were VERY STRICT about you can only have sodas.... no water... i remember having some coke (i think from there) and it tasted a bit different from the stuff up here (when i do happen to be so thristy as to drink one [&:]), i remember making root beer at home and it shure tasted different with real cane sugar instead of all the other crap they throw in [:'(]
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I remember root beer with real cane sugar. All root beer today in the US uses corn syrup. Thinking about it, I absolutely miss all the other sodas that had real cane sugar in them. Aside from Mexican Cokes, the great tastes of all the other sodas are now lost due to corn syrup.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 PM
calvino

definately, you can find some (more expensive) soda's with real sugar, but they are rare and far between [] *sigh* "cheap cheap cheap" how america is that [:-]
Old 01-09-2009, 12:03 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, it is cheap cheap cheap mentality that eventually forced us into this poor economic state we are in. And sodas are one of the collateral casualties of this mentality.

What is horribly sad is I do not think soda prices became any cheaper when the soda companies pulled this despicable corn syrup coup. Instead, in some places, a stupid standard sized can of soda now can cost as mush as a whole dollar! What ever happened to the days of $50 sodas? For that corn syrup that is supposed to be so dog gone cheap, the soda companies insteda gouged us, the soda loving public.

Soda lovers, Unite, Stand up & Represent!
Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Mr. Mugen

Enjoying mine right now! Mama is stealing it as I type...gotta go.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 AM
calvino

yep, its sad, i remember when soda's were like $1 and i was like "man thats alot" then on vacation in DC (at the zoo) i remember seeing soda's at $1.25 we come back, they're $1.25 for the same old crapeyness [:'(] plus 90% of the time they're WARM to make a bad joke meaner [>:], if i get a soda i at least want it COOL! ya, at least some people are making it with cane sugar, i guess its 'charge more for crap" *sigh* at least some things are ok
Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Mr. Mugen

My youngest memory of pop was getting a coke at the corner store with mom after dropping dad off at work with some bottle caps to boot and it all cost a quarter for a coke and 2 packs of bottle caps. They were 16oz bottles and tasted like what I just drank.

Kevin
Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Mr. Mugen

Is this what yours look like? 500Ml? Does yours make you rip around the house and clean like a freak? That is out of character for me somewhat....and I did it twice now! No wonder it's illegal. A bunch of guys got together and started talking about vacuums and mops over a coke and another guy saw this and said enough is enough.....corn syrup!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17880.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1107284  
Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
SAVAGEJIM

LOL, it is to the point now that I am officially addicted to Mexican Cokes just for that reason!

I make it a point to pack a Mexican bottled Coke with me in the morning for work, and I drink it on the way to work, so when I get there, the sugar rush gives me the kick in the pants I need to jump on my tasks with gusto. That way, I can remain on top of things and not have to worry about backlogs!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Mr. Mugen

Yeah I am starting to twitch now...I am out and thinking about going to get more! Thats the first sign..ADDICTION..I better get someone to run interference so I don't get too caught up on it....lol.

Kevin
Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

I just saw a commercial about Pepsi soon releasing "Pepsi Throwback," Pepsi with all natural sugar, and it made me think of this thread.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Eman77

My heart is palpitating unnaturally just looking at that can!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
DarkFire989

Im guessin this is Pepsis strategy too boost sales, there doing this with Mtn Dew also.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Really now? I wish I hit that thread now! *****Kicks self in the butt for not reading that thread****

But helz yeah! anything with rel sugar over sorry corn syrup is great! And a good move too, considering more and more corn and other biomass is now needed for gasolines to meet ethanol content laws. I just hope the demand for sugar is not the cause for those Mexicans and Guatemalans burning their farms. I know sugar cane farmes burn the sugar husks after the canes are harvested. And when I was in Texas, the pollution form those Mexican and Guiatemalan farmers ruined the Texas air.

I could be totally wrong; when I first heard that these farmers were burning, I heard that they were burning tropical forests to make room for soybeans to export to China. If that is the case, then sugar is not the cause of that environmental pollution. As much as I love my sodas with eal cane sugar, I hope that the fires are not because of my beloved sugar.

Sorry, I digress too much; I will have to look for that new Pepsi and Mountin Dew!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 PM
HJJFFFAA

Mr. Mugen said it started to taste like diet soda. I was going to try it but now I'm reluctant.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
DarkFire989

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

Mr. Mugen said it started to taste like diet soda. I was going to try it but now I'm reluctant.
Cause he was pounding like 10 a day lol. Everything in moderation!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

That is not any good! That means it is not made of real sugar at all! What a serious jip
Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Mountain Dew and Pepsi Throwback drinks were released April 20th and will only be available for about 8 weeks. Just throwing that out there.

For all of you saying how bad it must be and how you won't try it because Mr. Mugen said it tastes like diet soda, just take a sip!!! See if it really does taste like diet soda. Just maybe it's good stuff with natural sugar as claimed.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 PM
victorzamora

My family and I went on a tour of the Caribbean and every island had a slightly different flavor because they imported their Coke with sugar produced in different places.  Coke from El Salvador (where I used to live) was some of the strongest Coke I've ever had.  I do miss real sugar.  So much healthier, better tasting, and it wasn't so fake.  You could see that individual granules were different sizes and different colors.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 PM
The Hedgehog

They still have a few shops around me that sell real cane sugar soda.  I am drinking some right now.  I don't drink anything else, love it.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM
DarkFire989

Ive been having a few MTN Dew throwbacks here and there. Tastes pretty good.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:06 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know. I drank one of the "throwback" bottles of Pepsi and Mountain Dew where they supposedly only use natural sugar in them and they both sucked. They tasted watered down. I guess I'm just used to super sweet artifical sweetners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.