Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more
Reload this Page >

Thinking about changing my wheels again on the S... Opinions?

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.
View Poll Results: A poll
Keep the Rota Slipstreams
25.00%
Get the Work 17s
12.50%
Get the JDM 16s.
62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking about changing my wheels again on the S... Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about changing my wheels again on the S... Opinions?

Along with the 50lb I took off with the recent Ti exhaust and getting rid of the cat, we're on our way. 90lb down now, that's the weight of a small female passenger!! Oh, wait, I added over a pound with the gear knob. lol. It's solid stainless steel and weighs 2lb. Next is to chuck out the spare wheel/tools, etc and buy a can of Fix-a-flat. lol. 40 more lb off.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Lunchboxer

How much does the car weight now?! Have you ever taken it to a scale before?!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Foxy

No, and I am curious. If I can get it down to 2500 (that's 300lb off the book weight), I'll be happy. I reckon it must be around 2650 now (I'll go by the kilo rating since it's lower. S2k factory weight in kilos is 1250, which is 2750lb). I could probably get it down to about 2600 easily (spare tire etc), but another 100lb is gonna be real tough without sacrificing comforts like the soft top mechanism and the air conditioning. If I took out the soft top completely, mech, motors and all, put on a carbon fibre hard top with poly windows, removed all the aircon and plumbing I could take another 150lb off.

After that you can start replacing panels, which makes a big difference, since the S body is made of stainless steel. The front wings, the doors, the hood, the trunklid, and of course any aero part you want, are all available in carbon fiber. You could probably get it WAY below 1000kg if you did EVERYTHING I mentioned above. I want the soft top and the aircon though, I might repace panels with carbon in the future, we'll see. It's a damn expensive undertaking (particularly because of painting, I wouldn't leave them black like a ricer, but still, at least they can be done one by one). Then there's there's a number of metal bits and pieces in the enging bay that can be substitued for carbon. You can go on as long as your pocket book allows.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Lunchboxer

When you start to go to the extreme, for sure, sky is the limit... ! I would certainly remove the tools, spare tires, etc. But I wouldn't go as crazy for all CF panel.. LOL! That's too $$$!

There was a guy on the GT3 forum that was going for the loop hole in the rule book.. I guess in the class where he races at, you can pretty much do whatever you want, given that you started out w/ a street legal GT3.. so he stripped the whole thing, put on custom wide body CF panels / hood / etc, etc., stroker engine, and obviously tons of Cup car part... The result is a car that makes 460hps+, weights 2500 lbs, and "street legal" (cough, cough).. I think he said that it cost like $400k for his project.. Ouch.. !
Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Foxy

I dunno, Porsche is one thing, JDM aftermarket is another. It's funny, Honda owners piss and moan about the cost of aftermarket parts, but Porsche motorsport parts are a whole other ball game.

I could probably change every panel that's possible (ie all except rear quarters) for about $3500. $6000 for removal of the soft top and a carbon hard top install. Then $5000 for the parts necessary to make 320rwhp NA. So for about 15k I could give your high roller friend a good run for his money, WITHOUT turbo.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Lunchboxer

That's not bad.. I'd guess the CF parts would be a lot more expensive.. $3500 ain't bad at all.. (for most of the panels.. !)

Yeah, some of the Porsche parts are silly $$$.. for example, if I were to get the RS CF wing for my car, it would be more than $3,500 just for the wing blade.. (I think it is $4000+ new from Porsche)
Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 AM
lee172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBS all the way, its a no-brainer [8D]
Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Lunchboxer

Foxy, since those BBS wheels look just like other S2000 wheels, what's the way to make sure that they are the real deal? (JDM / Forged / BBS)
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
-Inverted-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

That's not bad.. I'd guess the CF parts would be a lot more expensive.. $3500 ain't bad at all.. (for most of the panels.. !)

Yeah, some of the Porsche parts are silly $$$.. for example, if I were to get the RS CF wing for my car, it would be more than $3,500 just for the wing blade.. (I think it is $4000+ new from Porsche)
Pfff. If you think Porsche is bad look at what Novitec charges to do up an F430. It's like $60,000 for a supercharger.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Lunchboxer

You mean Ferrari drivers actually drive them?!? [X(]

Old 08-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Foxy, since those BBS wheels look just like other S2000 wheels, what's the way to make sure that they are the real deal? (JDM / Forged / BBS)
6 spokes instead of 5.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Lunchboxer

Ah, so they look different than.. got it.. I just thought you meant that they look the same as the other S2000 wheels...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Foxy

Very close... Look at third pic on 1st post, then pic at top of page 2. Literally, they just have a extra spoke and teh JDM ones are almost immeasurably twisted (the spokes).