Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Six Sigma: Who here uses it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Six Sigma: Who here uses it?

Studying mathematics, one of the things I learned in statistics is central tendencies. The most familiar is the concept of the arithmetic mean (what we often wrongly call the "average" but this is an improper word as "average" also refers to the other central tendencies: median and mode).

I know in the mean (or "average"), sigma is a standard deviation. But 6 sigmas means 6 standard deviations from the mean point which in turn yields a near zero error probability. So, the concept of 6 sigma therefore means setting goals for very very little errors. Other than the significance that 6 sigma means as far as statistics, I really have no clue what the hell 6 sigma is about. (I do know that Motorola trademarked this concept.)

Does anyone here use the 6 sigma concept as defined by Motorola?
And what does it all mean according to the Motorola concept? (I.e. not in terms of means and standard deviations.)
And how is Motorola's 6 sigma concept applicable to all business (mom and pop to monopoly corporation)?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Six Sigma: Who here uses it?

6 Sigma in today's business world is often referenced not as the mathematical meaning (the standard deviation that you mentioned), but rather a business strategy that is associated to lean, continuous improvement, etc. It is really more of a philosophy, although often time it is taught w/ a basic set of tools.

But yeah, you can apply 6 Sigma philosophy to even mom and pop shops.. for example, in your garage, setup a tool holder so you return the tool to the exact location everytime.. (save you time in the future when you need to find it), etc.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Is there a pill that can make that happen?
My boss needs that pill...Badly!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wx5ZqHvNd0[/youtube]
Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Six Sigma is a core concept at Shaw Industries, where I work in maintenance. It focuses on increasing productivity, quality and efficiency, while reducing cost, waste and downtime. It is a very useful tool in making a corporation more competitive.

We also use the Cradle to Cradle philosophy. We make carpet that will be returned to us at the end of its useful life and we will melt down the carpet, turn it into pellet form and make new carpet out of it. We also have several plants that are powered by trash and carpet waste.