Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Ford Mustang, Where is the Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 AM
J.D.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ford Mustang, Where is the Cobra?

I agree ford spent to much money for this to be a mustang only engine, we'll see it in trucks and suvs eventually, rumor is roush was able to get 500 hp NA, A roush employee has said 700 hp was easy with twin turbos, the design team built the motor to be NA with 11:1 compression but also took steps to strengthen the block for forced induction later. Low compression pistons/shortblocks will hopefully be an an early option
Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 AM
[email protected]

well i was reading all kinds of crap about the new engines. the svt raptor sports a 6.2L engine or soon will. so the word is a version of that will make its way into the new shelby gt500[X(] they had a compact v8 diesel 4.4L for the f150 but have not heard anything more about it. Ford is doing a good job now, not just saying this cause i like fords. they are as good if not better then other brands, not me saying this this is the auto world. it must hurt some mags to say the ford is better then a toyota or honda or bmw whatever because a lot of them just hate american car companys no matter what they build or how good it is. they will sing all kinds of crap about vw toyotas hondas even if what they have is junk because who makes it. the ford mustang is one of the best few problems cars on the road. http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...-cars-of-2010/
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM
J.D.T

I have heard the physical size of the 6.2 will keep it out of mustangs, in trucks it will probably boil down to cost as the 4 v 5.0 makes about the same power as the 6.2 2 valve, the bore spacing on the 6.2 is oversquare, it'll be able to make 427s again if they ever choose to do it. The 4.4 diesel has been in testing and may come in a half year varient very soon, from what I have heard it should be around 340 hp and 430 ft lbs once its EPA certified, more than enough to tow all but the biggest stuff.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:02 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

the thing is, the mustang is a muscle car, most want low end grunt. high rpm is good for smaller/lighter sports cars.

heck, my dakota used to spin the tires on demand and just pin you to your seat, my miata, although faster, does not care how much gas your giving it, if its not past 4krpm, your not going anywhere, its funny, it tugs harder the faster you go.

any info on the 5.0? DOHC VVT direct injection ect. im too tired to look.
The Mustang, UNTIL the '84 5.0, in big power trim made power at the top of the rev range. Boss 302, GT350, etc.

You've never driven an R code 289 it seems. Those were NOT torquey engines
Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

We were talking about the V6 model. If one cares about burning rubber, he or she should get the GT! To get 305hp out of that V6 isn't bad. If they have to use high rpm, so be it!

I think the new Mustang is pretty sweet! Got to go with the 5.0, though!
The V6 is forced induction, LB. And can smoke the tires fine.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:36 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

The Mustang, UNTIL the '84 5.0, in big power trim made power at the top of the rev range. Boss 302, GT350, etc.

I remember the 60's pushrod Boss 302, it only produced about 290 ft-lbf torque, and you had to be pretty moderately high up in the RPM bandwidth: about 4500 RPM where its torque curve peaked out.
Lower RPMs? unfortunately, if I remember the torque curve corretly, it was under 250ft-lbf in the lower RPM bandwidth. I think it was just barely over 200ft-lbf at 2000RPM.

If someone can find the 60's Boss 302 dyno chart, please post it; it has been years since I have seen it.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 AM
J.D.T

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

We were talking about the V6 model. If one cares about burning rubber, he or she should get the GT! To get 305hp out of that V6 isn't bad. If they have to use high rpm, so be it!

no its not, thems 305 natural horses, that v6 has the ability to grow to 4.0 litres it hey want, the ecoboost twin turbo version is factory at 360 hp and supports to 450 supposedly in 3.7 form.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM
J.D.T

my chassis dyno notes show one 289 k code at 170 hp @4800 and 220 ft lbs @3200, another 200 @ 5600 and 240 @ 3300 so you can see them little 289s had to be reved to make haste. The only real dyno notes I got for a 289 had twisted wedge heads for 10:1, e 303 roller cam, victor junior, 650 holley, msd ignition and headers, it made 390 hp @ 7000 and 340 ft lbs @ 2900
the 290 hp and 290 ft lbs for the boss 302 was a trick, the factory put on rev limiters (5800 rpm or so-this is why you always see the boss 302 listed 290 hp@ 5800) and retarded the timing, half the hurst rental cars were cut up in parking lots at drag strips across the country as it was worth two seconds to cut one wire and wiggle a distributor. The output is closer to 400 @ 7500 and 325 @ 4400 with the timing right and such, since they were all in manual transmission cars with at least 3.70 gearing it was not a big deal, just don't jump on the holley until your at 2500 rpm and you'll be good LOL.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:29 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the thing is, the mustang is a muscle car, most want low end grunt. high rpm is good for smaller/lighter sports cars.

heck, my dakota used to spin the tires on demand and just pin you to your seat, my miata, although faster, does not care how much gas your giving it, if its not past 4krpm, your not going anywhere, its funny, it tugs harder the faster you go.

the r code is the SOHC they used in the town cars or is it the DOHC cobra engine? ive driven both.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

...it made 390 hp @ 7000 and 340 ft lbs @ 2900...
that sounds PAINFULL! i feel bad for my 4banger when i shift into second at 7400rpm, thats like me running it to 8300!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

the r code is the SOHC they used in the town cars or is it the DOHC cobra engine? ive driven both.
No you eg-no-ra-moose, the R code 289 is a '64 to early production '68 7,500 rpm OHV 289ci V8. Good lord, Mustangs WERE built before 1996. Stop talking about crap if you don't know what's going on. The 4.6 is a 281, and a COMPLETELY different engine, so you weren't even close
Old 07-14-2010, 04:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

no its not, thems 305 natural horses, that v6 has the ability to grow to 4.0 litres it hey want, the ecoboost twin turbo version is factory at 360 hp and supports to 450 supposedly in 3.7 form.
Learn to read.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ide/index.html
Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Whooo, now it's a party, TBJ's gone hostile!

Alls I can say is, Chevy better get the Camaro's get up and go right in a hurry. The Mustang's kicking it's big old booty right now and it'll be slaughtered if they don't do something in a year or so.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
[email protected]

the camaro is nice so is the mustang. will say the mustang is a little better inside for driving. easy to see things around you. camaro takes a little to get use to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53221.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1467971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95101.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1467972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60221.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1467973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78210.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1467974  
Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 PM
The_Shark

No you eg-no-ra-moose, the R code 289 is a '64 to early production '68 7,500 rpm OHV 289ci V8. Good lord, Mustangs WERE built before 1996. Stop talking about crap if you don't know what's going on. The 4.6 is a 281, and a COMPLETELY different engine, so you weren't even close
yes, i have driven two of those, a 67 and a 66, cant tell you about performance as i was just pulling them in and out of the alignment rack.

im sorry, im not a history book worm and do not like found on road deads. i have too much on my plate to worry about vin codes and stats and even less time for arguing of over the net.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

yes, i have driven two of those, a 67 and a 66, cant tell you about performance as i was just pulling them in and out of the alignment rack.

im sorry, im not a history book worm and do not like found on road deads. i have too much on my plate to worry about vin codes and stats and even less time for arguing of over the net.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
A: R code was a limited production engine. You likely have never been within 100 feet of one.
B: Then why are you arguing on the internet?
C: Found on road deads? Cute, coming from a guy that has a Ford himself.
D: What kind of CRAP TECHNICIAN doesn't test-drive his alignments?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: larryf333

Whooo, now it's a party, TBJ's gone hostile!

Alls I can say is, Chevy better get the Camaro's get up and go right in a hurry. The Mustang's kicking it's big old booty right now and it'll be slaughtered if they don't do something in a year or so.
Yeah, I agree. But I am sure that GM will not simply sit on their hind ends. I am sure their base models will do one of two things: The LS/LT 3.6L V6 will be coaxed to pull out more than the current 312 flywheel HP, maybe to no less than 350 flywheel HP.
And if that is not enough, GM might just take the leap and just offer only the V8 in all their Camaro trims (well, just a rumor I heard, I find it hard to believe that GM would eliminate the V6 from their base model).
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

A 4800 in the base RS would be ideal...LS3 in SS...LS7 in the Z28...hell yes
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 AM
J.D.T

Learn to read.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ide/index.html
What is that supposed to mean?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 AM
J.D.T

the 289 r codes were 271 hp k code motors with better intake and cam to make 306 @6000 and 329 @4200 what I understand they only went in GT 350R Shelby mustangs and came with an all out race package suspension and what not but cost like $6000 as an option, as much as the shebly itself only 36 sold.
Got $995,000 there is one for sale, the seller claims less than 25 left

http://www.classicmustang.com/images...tangheader.jpg
Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 PM
The_Shark

A: R code was a limited production engine. You likely have never been within 100 feet of one.
B: Then why are you arguing on the internet?
C: Found on road deads? Cute, coming from a guy that has a Ford himself.
D: What kind of CRAP TECHNICIAN doesn't test-drive his alignments?
its not a ford. not one piece. i usually ride out my alignments, but since im young, they dont trust me with a car like that and want to make sure its perfect. technically im not supposed to be even doing alignments in my ASE shop, but since ive had a good amount of experience, they trust me do some small work that gets an ok from a certified tech, like brakes, alignments, and other simple work.

what kind of person is so brash to someone they never met? like said, i could dig up tons of info and bring it up like im some kind of god of cars, but im too busy and mature for that kind of thing. the 60's and 70's are way before my time.

im getting tired of this TBJ, lets act like grown ups.

can we get back on subject now?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

N/A power, man.. no FI..

Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 PM
HJJFFFAA

N/A power, man.. no FI..

Hmm. Could've sworn I read that it was twin turbo...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Twin turbo and makes only 305hps.. that will be early-90s technology then..
Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
HJJFFFAA

Twin turbo and makes only 305hps.. that will be early-90s technology then..
Or just a low pressure setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.