Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Ford Mustang, Where is the Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ford Mustang, Where is the Cobra?

Next to 0 pressure?!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are talking about boost, sure. Well, the boost would be negative numbers because the engine doing its own pumping creates a vacuum in the manifold!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 PM
[email protected]

back in the day they had the svo mustang 4cyl had as much power as the v8 gt that was all turbo. as much or dam close to it i think.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do recall my friend saying that the turbo-4 was as fast as the 5.0.

saab has a twin turbo V-6 that makes around 260hp. i believe each turbo only delivers 4-6lbs! kinda sad.

is it true that the brand new mustangs have full independent suspension? that would be awesome (unless it hopped around like crazy)

i REALLY hate to say this, because im a Mopar guy, out of the new three, camaro would be on top, then mustang (only if its independent) and then the challenger. the challenger is just to bulbous and heavy, given its my favorite engine out of the three, i know at least the charger drives strong, but Kusch and numb and weigh a ton. but saying ive never driven a challenger a new camaro or a 2011 mustang, im going based off of what i see and hear.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM
[email protected]

solid axle but its under control from what the reviews are saying
Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

oh, so that bumps it down to last.

not saying solid axle is bad, but i just like independent better.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

oh, so that bumps it down to last.

not saying solid axle is bad, but i just like independent better.
Tuned well, you really can't tell the difference.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

The Shark wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an IRS Volvo 740 and a solid rear axle Volvo 740, so the comment is moot anyway.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 PM
[email protected]

not sure i could think the one was turbo one was just a normal red engine? have not worked on a 740 in like years.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM
[email protected]

the mustang can slide around turns with power and steering with the solid axle. independent wants to bite a lot more makes the power slide very hard to do. I like the fun of the slide but I'm a go cart guy, just what you like i guess.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will take the new Mustang GT over Camaro and Challenger by a big margin, simply because of it's weight!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 PM
The_Shark

not sure i could think the one was turbo one was just a normal red engine? have not worked on a 740 in like years.
im not very familiar with the 740, but the 850 used a 2.4 DOHC 5cyl and used the same engine with slightly different crank and head specs to make it 2.3 on the turbo. both engines had aluminum covers and black plastic spark plug covers. i thought Saab was the one who colored the valve cover.

and TBJ, i do feel the geometry in cars. ive had a solid axl, volvo's deltalink semi independent, the fiero's independent (two front ends) and my miata's traditional double A-arm suspension. and ive had full frame, space frame and unibody. FF MR FR setups, along with open and limited slip diffs, 4,5,6 and 8 cylinder, auto and manual, turbo and N/A, power and non power steering, with and without a steering shock absorber. no rear swaybar and with rear swaybar.

so i know a little about what does what, and i like independent best.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 PM
[email protected]

the only thing i feel with a solid live vs an independent is wheel hop on bad roads. independent cost a lot more when you have lots of power. I like the ford 9' and the 8.8 both are very good strong rears. if the rear is set up in a live axle they are very nice. all nascar is live axle they do ok.

1999-2004 Cobra Mustang had independent rear system.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:12 AM
cumquat

very infomative thread. i never knew there was an irs mustang outside of the roush. i dont want anything to do with an irs mustang. pony cars and irs dont mix, hence the charger (which is more of a luxury car anyway) and the camaro (which is a vaxuall frame). i think ford should make 3 cars like these, the standard mustang, a new car that is intended to be irs, and scroll down in this [link=http://jalopnik.com/5452036/report-2014-mustang-to-get-irs-global-sales]link[/link] and read the "Motor Trend is on crack" option.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I will take the new Mustang GT over Camaro and Challenger by a big margin, simply because of it's weight!
I wholeheartedly agree. Weight is a seious factor in performance, whether you are going around tight turns, accelerating, and stopping.

Since brakes work on the concept of energy, the amount of work the brakes must do to stop a speeing veihicle is exponential at speed.
Some of you guys might say momentum is what you use, but taht is not correct, not when you are considering accelreation, stopping, and rotating motions such as going around curves.

The 2011 Mustang GT coupe is about 3650 lbf curb weight.
The 5.0 Coyote produces a max 390 ft-lbf flywheel torque @ 4250 RPM

So, at 4250 RPM, the 2011 GT 5.0 has about 9.36 lbf to each flywheel ft-lbf torque.
(see this this link, pg 1 for engine specs, pg3, very bottom for curb weight.
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...g_GT_Specs.pdf

In comparison, the 2011 Camaro SS coup is about 3849 lbf curb weight. see this link, click on "Dimensions" column
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/features-specs/
The GM 6.2L produces a max 420ft-lbf flywheel torque at 4600RPM. See this link, click on the "Powertrain" column
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/features-specs/

So at 4600RPM, the 2011 Camaro SS has about 9.16 lbf to each flywheel ft-lbf, about .25lbf/ft-lbf advantage over the Mustang GT.

But believe it or not, that 199lbf weight difference makes a difference.
Assuming equal brakes, the heavier Camaro will have to travel further to stop.
Assuming equal gearing and drivetrain drag, the Camaro will have an advantage in acceleration and accelerate just a little faster.
Assuming equal suspension performance and steering wheel angles, and equal center of mass, the Camaro will at speed will have to move just a little bit slower than the Mustang to keep from tipping over

As for actual performance comparisons, I will have to look up the 2011 Mustang GT, Camaro SS, & Challenger SRT8 data that like Motor Trend and others have done.
I'm curious which is the better street car in street car performance categories.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 PM
The_Shark

dont forget about wheel base. shorter is better for quick steering changes and give the car a nimble feel, but makes it a little squirrely, a longer wheelbase provides better stability at high speed, but sacrifices some of its nimbleness.

also you have to look at weight distribution and track width.

200lbs is alot of weight, but it can be made up for with chassis design.