Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Victory vs. Harley Davidson!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Jgaff2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Victory vs. Harley Davidson!

So my dad's getting ready to buy probably a victory bike. The one he's lookin at is pretty cool, it's got that custom chopper look to it. So just wondering what was up, 'cause we both don't like Harleys. The victory's seem better to me and him. Any one want to chime in for random talk about motorcycles?!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts
Default RE: Victory vs. Harley Davidson!

ORIGINAL: Jgaff2

'cause we both don't like Harleys
you should be deported

hey check out triumph. last i checked hey had a couple good looking bikes
Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save your money and get a metric bike. bout half the cost and will out preform both victory and harley in just aboutany preformance catagory.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 AM
[email protected]

i like the fat boy. harleys are big in philly see them all over always a ride for something going on toys for tots whatever. waiting to see what the economy does in say april of 2011 then if all is good will be riding a fat boy
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Jgaff2

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: Jgaff2

'cause we both don't like Harleys
you should be deported

hey check out triumph. last i checked hey had a couple good looking bikes
Yea I've seen some of their bikes, they seem pretty cool.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
DaveG55

Your dad doesn't like Harleys so neither do you - no big surprise there...

If you want a Harley, Victory, Triumph, American Eagle, etc then you are paying, in large part, for the name. There are many, many bikes of equal size, power, styling and quality that will cost you a fraction of what one of those will. If you believe otherwise then you are deluding yourself.

To say one brand "seems better" than another is pretty vague and subjective. And that's fine as far as it goes. If your dad likes one over the other then it's unlikely that any hard facts (or internet forum chat) will change his mind. Facts like the Harleys are much better, more reliable bikes than they were a few years ago on a par with any high end bike won't mean anything to him if his eye is set on a Victory.

Personally, I'll be in the market for a bike in the next couple of years. Right now the front runners are the Harley Ultra(geezer)Glide and the Goldwing. The final decision depends a great deal on how comfortable the "better half" is in the back seat.

Left to my own, I'd probably succumb to peer preasure and go Harley.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, victory has nearly double the power, engine runs better, will probably last longer without a rebuild... but hey, its not a Harley. I have an 03 sportster 883, my friend has a suzuki twin intruder or whatever... he gets laughed at by Harley riders on a regular basis. I'm sure the same thing happens to people riding victories.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM
larryf333

Harley's were way over-rated just a few years ago, but they've come along way in a short amount of time. They are still over-rated, but nowhere near as much as they used to be. I can get a really nice Harley for a little over $6K with only a couple thousand miles on it (and no it's not a Sportster). But, then I look at what I can get for that much in a metric cruiser and have to say, why pay that much for a Harley, when I can get a bike, new helmet, riding boots, armored jacket and nice gloves for the same price? I'd rather survive riding a metric cruiser with all my safety gear, than die riding a Harley because I couldn't afford the gear.

However, it's extremely hard to avoid the peer pressure and overall appeal when it comes to Harley's. I will probably be getting one sometime in the near future. But only after I buy the safety gear. I hitting gravel in a sharp curve with my first bike. My helmet, jacket, boots and gloves saved my life and limbs. Ever had your head slam into the side of a ditch at 40 mph? That's what happened to me and it sounded like a shotgun went off inside my helmet. No doubt that Shoei saved my life. There is no way I will ever ride without safety gear.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Jgaff2

Yea everyone knows what Harley Davidson is, even 16 year old facebook obsessed girls. The harleys are well known and every thing, but the victories in my opinion look better and the engine is better made.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:13 PM
J.D.T

IMO you won't have to defend a harley purchase nearly as much as anything else unless your a grown man and buy a 883
Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
The_Shark

Harley generally has no technology behind them, run poorly, are slow, break down and some are even made in Mexico (very American) and dont forge super overpriced.

yes they are nice to look at, and the skys the limits for what you can do to them, and the potato-potato is iconic but it really isnt a rider's bike.

sources: i dont ride, but know 4 people who have owned them and now only buy Honda and Suzuki.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

Harley generally has no technology behind them, run poorly, are slow, break down and some are even made in Mexico (very American) and dont forge super overpriced.

yes they are nice to look at, and the skys the limits for what you can do to them, and the potato-potato is iconic but it really isnt a rider's bike.

sources: i dont ride, but know 4 people who have owned them and now only buy Honda and Suzuki.
They don't run that bad, mine has never broken down on me... It doesn't run as good as my kz440, but it runs better than the old cb350 I had.

But yeah, Anyone that weighs more than 160 and is over than age of like 25 should not be riding an 883.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

I learned to ride on a Whizzer motorbike when I was 7 or 8 back in the '50's. Through the years I owned bikes, big and small, from all the big names Harley Davidson, Guzzi, BMW, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Indian, Triumph, Enfield. I bought what I wanted never really cared what others thought. I remember when Harley had a 'Bad Image' because of who rode them, Japanese bikes were 'Rice Burners' to the Hog crowd, British bikes were for sissies and needed weird tools, only rich people rode BMW and Guzzi well most people could not even pronounce it. Some I bought for pleasure some for need but I got what I liked at the time. Right now I'm thinking about getting a Ural Gear Up. It would be fun to have a Hack again and 2 wheel drive would be nice in the woods of Oregon.

My point to the OP is buy what you like. Don't let someone use peer pressure to talk you into something you don't want. Everyone today tries to claim they are nonconformist which is why they all conform and by Harley, ps a Sportster is fun. When I was growing up people who rode bikes were considered nonconformist also. Difference was we all rode different bikes and respected that. Have fun with whatever you get.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
DaveG55

Well, that's nicely prejudiced :-)... So let me offer a counter opinion.

They run fine, are no more slow or unreliable than most any other bike, american or metric. They do look nice and are infinantly moddable. And I know many, many people who ride them thousands of miles a year. They are pricy but the market seems to be keeping the price up pretty well.

sources: me, I do ride and have owned several different brands and worked on several more. i know at least 8 people w/Harleys (and probably another 30 or so with other brands) and not a one of the Harleys has left their owner stranded - which i cannot say about some of the other brands. And one of them, a Streetglide, is quite fast for what it is.

I don't really care which bike the OP's dad buys, I just hope it's one HE likes and that he wears the proper safety equipment and takes a safety course - especially if it's his first bike or it's been awhile since he rode regularly.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 PM
The_Shark

like anything, im sure people have had perfect experiences with them. buuut, jap bikes are almost always better in a performance and value standpoint.

ive heard bules (spelling?) are decent.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 AM
[email protected]

the value of the jap bike is better hen that of harley? so in 4 years with 20k put your jap bike up for sale see how much value it has. look jap bikes are running into the 10k 15k range that is harley money. look jap vs american does not work its what you like.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 AM
proanti1

like anything, im sure people have had perfect experiences with them. buuut, jap bikes are almost always better in a performance and value standpoint.

Performance? yes... because Harleys are not legalized race bikes. Value? No... Harleys maintain a better resale value than guns, better than ANY consumer product. Literally better than ANY other consumer product. A 20 year old Harley will sell for nearly its retail price, maybe even over if its in great condition. An old street bike will sell for $1500 max.

Buells on the other hand are not really desirable, and dirt cheap. I think they even stopped making them.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Anyone wanting a good deal on a used Harley should come to Oregon. Seems that as the economy got bad, 16% unemployment in my area, every RUB who moved here from California put their bike up for sale driving the value down, just like housing. You can't swing a dead cat in this town without hitting a used Harley for sale. It's common to see a 2yr old bike sell for 50% of what it sold for new. Japanese bikes are just as bad here.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: proanti1

....Value? No... Harleys maintain a better resale value than guns, better than ANY consumer product. Literally better than ANY other consumer product. A 20 year old Harley will sell for nearly its retail price, maybe even over if its in great condition. An old street bike will sell for $1500 max.
true, but the intial cost is very high, so its almost like an ivestment.

my neighbor had a bule, he liked it untill his friend wiped out on it and almost killed himself and destroyed the bike. he is now riding a customized Harley, rims,paint, exhaust, handles,engine, chromed out, you name it. he plopped 20k into it on top of what it was new.

i can honestly say i dont know anything about bikes, but ive always liked the look of older Indian bikes, but ive heard they aren't that great.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we can spell out the word Japanese instead of saying "jap"? (since it is considered a racial slur..)

I'm sure you didn't mean it the other way..

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

the value of the jap bike is better hen that of harley? so in 4 years with 20k put your jap bike up for sale see how much value it has. look jap bikes are running into the 10k 15k range that is harley money. look jap vs american does not work its what you like.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 PM
warheadforever

LOL You shouldn't' talk about things you don't know, my dad use to build custom Harleys that destroy everything, even those Yamaha R1 things... so you can't say that in general terms they are slow.
Yes they are over priced.
But they have THE best sounding engine every built.
By the way there are those of us who still love carbonation, and points ignition with the distributor and stuff.
Some friends of mine have had their Harleys for more than 30 years and they have never been let down by it.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big fan of the Potato-Potato, eh?!

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/pat/harley.htm

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

LOL You shouldn't' talk about things you don't know, my dad use to build custom Harleys that destroy everything, even those Yamaha R1 things... so you can't say that in general terms they are slow.
Yes they are over priced.
By the way there are those of us who still love carbonation, and points ignition with the distributor and stuff.
Some friends of mine have had their Harleys for more than 30 years and they have never been let down by it.
I love carbonation too... soda, beer... you name it.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Maybe we can spell out the word Japanese instead of saying ''jap''? (since it is considered a racial slur..)

sorry never thought it was a slur. just how we speak brother man. didnt mean to offend anyone[&:]
Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Maybe we can spell out the word Japanese instead of saying ''jap''? (since it is considered a racial slur..)

i always found it as a shorter way of saying Japanese. just like britt, aussi, scotch ect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.