RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Steve Jobs (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/10750459-steve-jobs.html)

DarkFire989 10-05-2011 04:07 PM

Steve Jobs

Lost his fight to cancer. His company has made some great things, he was truly an innovator. May he rest in peace.

Lunchboxer 10-05-2011 04:23 PM

RE: Steve Jobs

Yeah.. too bad.. he is not old either.. only in his mid-50s..

sheograth 10-05-2011 09:11 PM

Too young, only 56. Definitely one of the most innovative and influential people of his generation.

splcrazy 10-05-2011 09:18 PM

do we all get free ipods from apple as remembrance for the man ?

TheKennyKiller 10-05-2011 10:33 PM

splcrazy 10-05-2011 10:38 PM

i hope that we get a 160gb ipod touch . The 64gb version isnt big enough and then again with the software proberly taking up 10gb its only something like 50gb lol . i like my ipod classic 160gb but no touch screen sux.

proanti1 10-06-2011 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

i hope that we get a 160gb ipod touch . The 64gb version isnt big enough and then again with the software proberly taking up 10gb its only something like 50gb lol . i like my ipod classic 160gb but no touch screen sux.
The man who basically invented the personal computer has just died, and you complain about your ipod not being able to hold enough of your illegally downloaded music?

warheadforever 10-06-2011 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

Lost his fight to cancer. His company has made some great things, he was truly an innovator. May he rest in peace.
um whos he?
Rip though and my hopes and prayers go out to his family.

HJJFFFAA 10-06-2011 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The man who basically invented the personal computer.
Yea, no.

TheKennyKiller 10-06-2011 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

Yea, no,
LOL:D

proanti1 10-06-2011 10:37 AM

Yea, no,
Revolutionized may be a better word...

HJJFFFAA 10-06-2011 10:39 AM

All they did was put components in pretty boxes, added a pretty GUI, and sold it. They didn't do all that much.

The Hedgehog 10-06-2011 11:20 AM

Ummm no

proanti1 10-06-2011 11:52 AM

All they did was put components in pretty boxes, added a pretty GUI, and sold it. They didn't do all that much.
yea, no

Not only did they bring manufacturing costs down so computers were accessible to the lower and middle class, they also established one of the most successful marketing campaign in history. Creating a GUI is not considered "all that much"? Even though nearly every single operating system now uses one?

I'm not an apple fanboy by any stretch, but I do recognize what he has done to the computer industry... especially out of his garage.

Edit: spelling

sheograth 10-06-2011 11:56 AM

Yeah, you don't need to be an Apple fan to acknowledge Jobs and
his company have influenced the high tech industry. Not just personal computers, but digital music and smartphones as well.

Ttam Says Blarg 10-06-2011 12:05 PM

May he rest in peace. Always liked the man.

splcrazy 10-06-2011 12:55 PM

The man who basically invented the personal computer has just died, and you complain about your ipod not being able to hold enough of your illegally downloaded music?
i never said it was illegal , i own 10grand worth of albums i got from the shop if you want to know .

The Hedgehog 10-06-2011 01:48 PM

The Shop is still angry!

splcrazy 10-06-2011 02:38 PM

I payed for it with cash buying some cds every week over the years re tard

mrld 10-06-2011 02:49 PM

I just heard a radio news show report on where and how all Apple products are made...yes you guessed it it the typical huge sweatshop factories
in CHINA of course...According to this report the working conditions are so bad the UPPER FLOORS OF THESE FACTORIES ACTUALLY HAVE PLASTIC
WEBBINGS AROUND THE BUILDINGS FOR EACH FLOOR, to foil the suicide attempts by the wretched workers who are driven mad by what they must endure..I swear I have not made this fact up..
So to conclude while the components cost and total manufacturing costs for thier products are surely about equal of competing pc ect products,
Apple thrives generating much higher profits based on thier unjustly higher markups, which they command thanks to idiot consumers who percieve
Apple stuff to be 'cool" To conclude while IMHO Steve Jobs clearly was a brilliant buisnessman , not a technical genius..certainly NO NICOLA TESLA!
And if Steve Jobs were a AMERICAN PATRIOT he would have kept or brought back the many thousands of manufacturing jobs to the US..
But then in fairness surely one could level the same charge at Bill Gates, as well as the ceo's of the rest of the major US pc compainies,
Dell, HP and so forth..

proanti1 10-06-2011 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: mrld

I just heard a radio news show report on where and how all Apple products are made...yes you guessed it it the typical huge sweatshop factories
in CHINA of course...According to this report the working conditions are so bad the UPPER FLOORS OF THESE FACTORIES ACTUALLY HAVE PLASTIC
WEBBINGS AROUND THE BUILDINGS FOR EACH FLOOR, to foil the suicide attempts by the wretched workers who are driven mad by what they must endure..I swear I have not made this fact up..
So to conclude while the components cost and total manufacturing costs for thier products are surely about equal of competing pc ect products,
Apple thrives generating much higher profits based on thier unjustly higher markups, which they command thanks to idiot consumers who percieve
Apple stuff to be 'cool'' To conclude while IMHO Steve Jobs clearly was a brilliant buisnessman , not a technical genius..certainly NO NICOLA TESLA!
And if Steve Jobs were a AMERICAN PATRIOT he would have kept or brought back the many thousands of manufacturing jobs to the US..
But then in fairness surely one could level the same charge at Bill Gates, as well as the ceo's of the rest of the major US pc compainies,
Dell, HP and so forth..

Radio news show? you wouldn't be talking about Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck would you? Because they were talking some crap this morning. The suicide stuff was going on at Foxconn, who makes components for nearly every other electronic consumer product. These people are not being forced to work in these factories.

American patriot... so utilizing the right to free trade doesn't make someone a patriot? Americans are forgetting the meaning of that word.

jessiej 10-06-2011 02:58 PM

The idiocy of many of these replies makes me want to deny ever having any interest in this so-called hobby.

eddieC 10-06-2011 04:23 PM

RIP Steve! Truly an innovator, and please remember his family in your prayers.

The idiocy of many of these replies makes me want to deny ever having any interest in this so-called hobby.   
Precisely. Buncha tools.....[:@] 

SyCo_VeNoM 10-06-2011 04:32 PM

you forgot they did a lot to stifle innovation including trying to patent other peoples ideas, and sued anyone that made anything that even remotely might have looked like something they made, or sound like something they think they came up with. Including things that had 4 rounded corners like samsungs tablet, and amazon for using the term appstore(which was used way prior to apple even making an ipod in early 2000)... Or my favorite sueing microsoft back in 94 over windows GUI, apple licensed from xerox and tried claiming they created it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_C...ft_Corporation)...

They also innovated telling you what you can put on what you purchased ;) Try getting an app for the iphone that apple didn't like without jailbreaking(and voiding your waranty) it ;)

Also dunno where "Not only did they bring manufacturing costs down so computers were accessible to the lower and middle class, " there computers were always more expensive than IBM's, or commodor's, and still are way more expensive than other PC's with the same exact specs (outside the apple logo on the cover, and running that POS OS).

proanti1 10-06-2011 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

you forgot they did a lot to stifle innovation including trying to patent other peoples ideas, and sued anyone that made anything that even remotely might have looked like something they made, or sound like something they think they came up with. Including things that had 4 rounded corners like samsungs tablet, and amazon for using the term appstore(which was used way prior to apple even making an ipod in early 2000)...

They also innovated telling you what you can put on what you purchased ;) Try getting an app for the iphone that apple didn't like without jailbreaking(and voiding your waranty) it ;)

Also dunno where ''Not only did they bring manufacturing costs down so computers were accessible to the lower and middle class, '' there computers were always more expensive than IBM's, or commodor's, and still are way more expensive than other PC's with the same exact specs (outside the apple logo on the cover, and running that POS OS).
The Apple II was cheaper than any IBM at the time, and the commodore was a piece of crap. Yes, the Apple Lisa was $10,000... but the comparable Xerox Alto was $17,000.

I like how everyone completely ignores all the other reasons apple has sued Samsung.

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireles...diculous.shtml

The Galaxy tab being shaped by like the ipad was only a very small part of it. Everyone shifts their attention to apple because of this. Never mind Microsoft suing the **** out of Google for patent infringement, and Google buying up tons of patents, then selling them to patent trolls who turned around and attacked apple. You do know that HTC has to pay Microsoft $20 for every phone they sell right? Yeah, Apple has been all over the headlines the past year or so... but that is no reason to completely blow off all they have achieved over the years.

sheograth 10-06-2011 05:13 PM

A thread made as a memorial to a person who has died isn't even immune to bickering and trolling? Grow up
People.

SyCo_VeNoM 10-06-2011 05:16 PM

you forgot they did a lot to stifle innovation including trying to patent other peoples ideas, and sued anyone that made anything that even remotely might have looked like something they made, or sound like something they think they came up with. Including things that had 4 rounded corners like samsungs tablet, and amazon for using the term appstore(which was used way prior to apple even making an ipod in early 2000)...

Also dunno where ''Not only did they bring manufacturing costs down so computers were accessible to the lower and middle class, '' there computers were always more expensive than IBM's, or commodor's, and still are way more expensive than other PC's with the same exact specs (outside the apple logo on the cover, and running that POS OS).
The Apple II was cheaper than any IBM at the time, and the commodore was a piece of crap. Yes, the Apple Lisa was $10,000... but the comparable Xerox Alto was $17,000.

I like how everyone completely ignores all the other reasons apple has sued Samsung.

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireles...diculous.shtml

The Galaxy tab being shaped by like the ipad was only a very small part of it. Everyone shifts their attention to apple because of this. Never mind Microsoft suing the **** out of Google for patent infringement, and Google buying up tons of patents, then selling them to patent trolls who turned around and attacked apple. You do know that HTC has to pay Microsoft $20 for every phone they sell right? Yeah, Apple has been all over the headlines the past year or so... but that is no reason to completely blow off all they have achieved over the years.
Yea I know MS is guilty of a pile of that crap too. Just was arguing people saying apple was such innovators ;)
Once saw a patent for something that looked exactly like a wii-mote(and according to the patent description functioned exactly like a wii mote) submitted by apple 5 months after nintendo showed the wi-mote off at E3...

Also take offense at people saying the commador was a piece of crap it did everything an apple IIe did(had the disk based C64, which came out around the time the apple iie). I learned to program in basic on one, and had a fairly decent software library, and games that played the same as or better than what I saw on the apple IIe that I had access to a year or so later. Only difference was you needed a disk in the drive for the apple to do anything the commador you didn't.
I also had a Texas instruments PC that hooked up to the TV Now that one was a piece of crap.
Then in 88 I got an Intel 386 for $700 with the same specs(including a color printer) as the apple $5500 model (-OS, and lack of software) yup $5500 was very affordable

Intel was the one that caused computer prices to become affordable, not apple.

SyCo_VeNoM 10-06-2011 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

A thread made as a memorial to a person who has died isn't even immune to bickering and trolling? Grow up
People.
sorry I just cant stand people trying to come off he was gods gift to computing where he wasn't. I see enough of people treating him like he was a saint, or some kind of god on other sites I visit.
All he was good at was selling a turd as gold to people.
Horrible way to die, but I've known people that had the same cancer, and suffered way more due to not being able to afford his level of healthcare. Sorry if I sound like an ass hole but I personally didn't know the man and could care less that he died. Just like if it was reversed he wouldn't give a crap about me.

DarkFire989 10-06-2011 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

People.
Quoted for the truth.

Come on guys FFS, this thread was not about bickering and complaining, its to remember a guy who has done some great things.

The Hedgehog 10-06-2011 05:27 PM

Sorry if I sound like an ass hole but I personally didn't know the man and could care less that he died.
1. You do
2. Why bother posting? The thread was to commemorate Steve Jobs, not whether you PERSONALLY care for the guy.

SyCo_VeNoM 10-06-2011 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

2. Why bother posting?
so people don't give him credit where credit wasn't deserved. And to point out all he really "innovated"

DarkFire989 10-06-2011 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

2. Why bother posting?
so people don't give him credit where credit wasn't deserved. And to point out all he really ''innovated''
Buddy.... If you got nothing positive to say dont comment.

Benoît 10-06-2011 05:42 PM

sorry I just cant stand people trying to come off he was gods gift to computing where he wasn't. I see enough of people treating him like he was a saint, or some kind of god on other sites I visit.
All he was good at was selling a turd as gold to people.
Horrible way to die, but I've known people that had the same cancer, and suffered way more due to not being able to afford his level of healthcare. Sorry if I sound like an ass hole but I personally didn't know the man and could care less that he died. Just like if it was reversed he wouldn't give a crap about me.
<span style="font-size: medium;">For over two thousand years, civilized people have followed the recommendation of Chilon of Sparta, who said "&tau;ὸ&nu; &tau;&epsilon;&theta;&nu;&eta;&kappa;&oacute;&tau; &alpha; &mu;ὴ &kappa;&alpha;&kappa;&omicron;&lambda;&omicron;&ga mma;&epsilon;ῖ&nu;" or as Diogenes translated the saying "de mortuis nihil nisi bonum", which has come down to us as "speak no ill of the dead". Good advice then; good advice now.

As for disengagement from human society, John Donne in his "Devotions upon Emergent Occasions" is more in touch with the ties that bind us all together. He wrote:

</span><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: medium;">"</span><span style="font-size: medium;"><span lang="EN-US">No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.</span>"</span></span>

mrld 10-06-2011 05:44 PM

You said: so utilizing the right to free trade doesn't make someone a patriot? Americans are forgetting the meaning of that word. "
Sir, when your job is outsourced to an asian person who earns $1 per day doing it, then perhaps you will learn the meaning of "free trade".

redfisher1974 10-06-2011 05:48 PM

In before the lock.[&:]

proanti1 10-06-2011 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: mrld

You said: so utilizing the right to free trade doesn't make someone a patriot? Americans are forgetting the meaning of that word. ''
Sir, when your job is outsourced to an asian person who earns $1 per day doing it, then perhaps you will learn the meaning of ''free trade''.
Maybe I will get a logistics job managing the outsourcing.

sheograth 10-06-2011 06:50 PM

Ok, I cleaned up the thread. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. You turned a memorial into a mud slinging fest over politics and opinions. Really low. Insulting to the entire RC community. Any members who continue to vent in this thread will be put on moderated status.

blw 10-06-2011 07:20 PM

I was surprised at the announcement that 300 million iPods have been sold.

The Newton was way ahead of it's time. Sort of a great idea outrunning current technology.

TheKennyKiller 10-06-2011 07:23 PM

HJJFFFAA 10-06-2011 07:36 PM

yea, no

Not only did they bring manufacturing costs down so computers were accessible to the lower and middle class, they also established one of the most successful marketing campaign in history. Creating a GUI is not considered ''all that much''? Even though nearly every single operating system now uses one?

I'm not an apple fanboy by any stretch, but I do recognize what he has done to the computer industry... especially out of his garage.

Edit: spelling
He didn't invent the GUI, he just made a pretty one. Bringing down costs and creating marketing campaigns isn't being innovative in the field of computers, it's being a businessman. The guy was a good businessman, nothing more. His credit is with business, not technology. The only way those two intersect was that his business just happened to sell computers.