Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis
Reload this Page >

What happened to all the Chicago hobby shops?

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

What happened to all the Chicago hobby shops?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 06:19 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default What happened to all the Chicago hobby shops?

I drove to Venture Hobbies in Wheeling the other week and to my dismay it was closed. Also anyone remember Stanton Hobby Shop on the north side that closed in the early 2000's? Any good shops still left in the area besides Hobby Town USA in Northbrook?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 AM
rm1963

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hobby shop in my area closed too. It was well stocked, and could answer most questions; or
know where to get products or info.
But, like all thing's owner retired; no one could or would take over!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:12 PM
marmalade1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Al's hobbys closed in Elmhurst last year too. Shame.

We do have Value Hobby based in Addison. It's a different beast; all ARFs, all electric, all inexpensive Chinese products. But with local pickup from the warehouse (not a regular store, don't walk in expecting to browse/ buy without buying online first).

I appreciate the place, but it has limited range and doesn't address the needs of a kit builder / glow/gas user.

PD.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Al's was another story as they were getting bled dry by the family after Al died, I heard to the tune of $200,000 in debt.