Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Need free anti spyware

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:45 AM
aaviles
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need free anti spyware

Somebody knows some anti spyware free
since my computer was infected although I have Norton
Old 12-03-2006, 09:21 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need free anti spyware

Ad Aware

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/...e_personal.php

Spybot S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 AM
wvarn1957
My Feedback: (3)

These are good products:

http://www2.grisoft.com/doc/35234/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
Old 12-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't expect the free ones to clean an already infected machine. As a tech that deals with this stuff on a daily basis, I have found Spyware Doctor to be the best anti-spyware available. www.pctools.com is where you can find this $30 program.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:24 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Don't know about spyware, but I had a virus that infected my Norton Virus checker. I ended using free GRI software and if fixed the virus and Norton. I have since dumped Norton Virus checker as well as McAfee and use GRI exculsively (and very successfully to). GRI has finally gone to a pay service and it costs $29.95 per year, starting this Jan.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 12-03-2006, 11:54 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Let me throw my vote in for Spybot S&D. And, I really must disagree with Deadeye here (no offense!)...it's a free app, but will absolutely clean even a seriously infected machine, and WELL. Granted, doing so will require a bit of snoping around in some of the advanced mode features, but it is, hands down, the most powerful spyware removal and protection tool I've run across in better than a decade of work in the IT industry.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Norton Antivirus AND Norton Internet Security. They will siamese together and work as one program if you install both of them on your rig.

I have not had a single problem with Norton. All you have to do is keep it updated and it works. I'm on a cable connection and my rig is connected to the internet 24/7/365. Not a single problem in 3yrs of using Norton products.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:52 PM
beason

ewido is free, (now avg antispyware) is nice, and its free for 30 days then runs as a slimmed down version that still works fine. also ad aware, and spybot works well. it all depends on what your tring to get rid of
Old 12-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: gboulton

Let me throw my vote in for Spybot S&D. And, I really must disagree with Deadeye here (no offense!)...it's a free app, but will absolutely clean even a seriously infected machine, and WELL. Granted, doing so will require a bit of snoping around in some of the advanced mode features, but it is, hands down, the most powerful spyware removal and protection tool I've run across in better than a decade of work in the IT industry.
I quit using Spybot when I discovered that it would find the spyware, and remove it, and then find the same thing on reboot, remove it again, and it's still there, and then start all over again. I also noticed that I could run Spyware Doctor after Spybot, and SD would find many more instances of malware. And SD actually removed them for good. No way is a free anti-spyware program going to outdo a paid for program like Spyware Doctor. Spybot might be OK for some infestations, but Spyware Doctor is the way to go if you need to clean some of other bad ones out there. It also prevents further infection by monitoring in the background.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

While Spybot S&D is a fairly good product, I have found it to be a little lacking in the clean-up function. Spy Doctor is very good at cleaning an already infected system but I have had instances with web based apps where it will cause problemsand conflicts. Keeping in mind that the freeware versions of most software ( not just anti-spy ) are not full featured, of the two, I would reccomend SpyDoctor.

Now if you want to spend $30 for the first year and $20 a year after that then I would recommend Webroot's Spy Sweeper. Absolutely the best at cleaning a system up and preventing future infections. You can download a 30 day trial version that is identical to the "real" version other than the ability to do definition database updates expire after 30 days. That is plenty of time to clean up your system.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:42 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Try Windows Defender direct from Microsoft. It's free.

Sometimes issues are not viruses, but rather (shady) programs that have been unknowingly installed by the user. If you are getting pop-ups and diverters (click on or open one page and something else comes up), you can try this:

Click "Tools" then "Internet Options" then "Programs" tab - "Manage Add ons.." Sort through the list of programs looking for suspicious Browser Extension files and disable them.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 12-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Try Windows Defender direct from Microsoft. It's free.

Sometimes issues are not viruses, but rather (shady) programs that have been unknowingly installed by the user. If you are getting pop-ups and diverters (click on or open one page and something else comes up), you can try this:

Click "Tools" then "Internet Options" then "Programs" tab - "Manage Add ons.." Sort through the list of programs looking for suspicious Browser Extension files and disable them.

Good luck,
Jeff
Windows Defender works good for what it is designed to do, block certain types of Spyware and scripts. Problem is, it only covers about 20% of the whole. I'm still plugging Spyware Doctor, and here's another example of why.

Got a laptop in here yesterday. 80+ processes running in the background. Bootup time was 15 minutes+. Installed NAV 2007, as his protection was expired over a year ago. NAV found no viri, but did find 4 'suspicious' files, which were deleted. Installed Spyware DR, updated the sigs, and it found 250 more instances of spyware. Cleaned them, and boot time is now under two minutes, and there are less than 40 processes running now.

This is one example of literally hundreds I have experienced in tha last two years of using this excellent program. And no, i have no ties with PCtools.com. Just sharing real world experience.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Grandadap

Go to Download.com and download Spybot, it's free and very efficent. At Microsoft you can get Defender for free.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Kevinator9

I use AVG and Kerio firewall. Works nicely.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:54 PM
hands without shadows

Whatever you do dont get Security iGuard, its a virus itself.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Kevinator9

Ha, how ironic. Antivirus software that is a virus!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:47 PM
hands without shadows

Yes, I thought it was funny. That was after I learned what it was and before I tried to remove it. Its a PITA to remove.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:45 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run both of these together, and have had excellent results.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:12 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

big deception,nothing is for free.go to gibson research they have good info on what will and wont work.about the best product i have used was zone alarm i run the pro version but they have a free one also.avg is a good program also avast.but if you want the number one anti virus IMO it would be by http://www.kaspersky.com/.
adaware is pretty good for a free program.and another product i have had luck with is the cleaner by moosoft.i run Norton's system works because i got it as a gift,it is good but lord have mercy don't try their support,i got some guy in India that i could barley understand.it seems that a lot of folks are using India for system support these days though.