Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

What does everybody do for a living??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. I've seen this post resurrected off and on for 10 years. After finally reading several posts, I continued and read all of them. I feel strangely moved, but I can't put my finger on "why".

My Dad taught me CL with his old planes from the 50's. When I graduated to RC 15 yrs later, I taught him!
He instilled a love of aviation that burns as strong as ever. I learned to fly, 35 hrs in a Cessna 152. But life got in the way and now I am a frustrated full-scale pilot putting my energy into modeling.

To pay for this addiction, I am the Director of Engineering for a local TV station.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I read the whole thread, too. Very interesting. As for me, I`m currently wrenching on various makes and year models of cars and light trucks for a buy here, pay here type oufit.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:37 PM
Seased

An aged man rooted in his computer chair doing all the computer works.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:34 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm retired after 35 years as a Multiline Master Technician . ASE Certified Master , GM Cad/Chev./ Buick / Olds / GMC Master , Hendrick Automotive Master . Now if I could only master retirement and my TV remote .
Old 10-14-2018, 12:05 AM
spinlove

I'm a website flipper. It's kind of like house flipping but with websites. I buy or create websites, I make it into something profitable, design them, fill them with content, run them with ads and I when they get traction, I eventually sell them at a higher price. I create my websites mostly on a website builder like hPage - https://www.hpage.com since you don't need to learn coding or any technical for creating a website there. I also purchase the domain name on that site. Makes everything quite manageable. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it and I sell them off with website newbies or business owners.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:58 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMcM
Licensed General Contractor, specializing in steel erection, for 30+ years. Injured my back, and after several back surgeries, I have been put out to pasture. If I were a horse, they'd shoot me[X(]. Now I'm on a fixed income, taking daily pain meds, and going completely crazy with all the free time I have...
retired from the trades, too !.....feet hurt, two worn out knees and a tired back. luckily, no pain meds yet, though. according to my doctor and others that I know in the trades,.... it seems I have a fairly high tolerance for pain. I don't now if that's good or bad,......sometimes, I keep going when I should probably take a break and then suffer after it's all done. my income is fixed also, but comfortable, thanks to a lifetime membership in the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

20 years active duty Air Force as what amounts to a Radio Tech. Aircraft Ground Radio Nav Aids (TACAN, ILS, TVOR & LORAN), Satellite Comm and some radar. Also qualed as a Loadmaster on C-130, 141 and C-5 aircraft. Spent almost half my career in Germany and points beyond. Participated in 18 aircraft crash recovery efforts. Been to a total of 14 countries under orders to include the USSR. Final 4 years spent on White House staff where I retired in 94.
Followed with 23 years as a Civilian IT contractor to the Intelligence Community (IC). Mostly doing network security on networks supporting satellite systems for the NRO. Finished up as a software test and evaluator for a specialized product my company developed for the IC.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer forced the final decision to retire. Almost 5 years cancer free now but dealing with side effects of the treatment. Cancer sucks! But this still beats the alternative.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:14 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Appowner , Thank you for your service to our country , and congratulations on 5 years Cancer free as well ! My oldest son is career AF and I couldn't be more proud of all our service members Active ,Inactive , Retired and those no longer with us . . Its a tremendous sacrifice made by every sevice member and their families every day to keep our country safe and free.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:21 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK1
Appowner , Thank you for your service to our country , and congratulations on 5 years Cancer free as well ! My oldest son is career AF and I couldn't be more proud of all our service members Active ,Inactive , Retired and those no longer with us . . Its a tremendous sacrifice made by every sevice member and their families every day to keep our country safe and free.
Don't take this the wrong way but, I have an issue with being thanked for my service. I did what I did because I wanted to. Not for any great desire to serve the nation or anything like that. At the age of 20 my home town was not a place for finding a career. (Still isn't but it's a decent place for retirement.) I've often said that I did the first 4 years for God, Country and the girl next door. And the next 16 for me myself and I. And it afforded me many opportunities. One of which was education. I first obtained an AA. Followed by a BS, MBA and finally a PhD in business. Combined with my technical training it made me very marketable when I left the military.

As for being thanked for my service, too often I get the impression the person thanking me is doing so out a feeling of guilt. They thank me because they feel they themselves have done little to nothing which compares and not because I've done anything extraordinary. To those I say, the best way you can thank me is to do something for the nation for which I should thank you. And then I remind them to vote. After all, that is the primary reason we have a military. To protect our way of life.

I for one didn't see those 20 years as such a sacrifice. Yes I missed a few holidays at home and some birthdays. But for me it was more of an adventure. Don't get me wrong, I've been shot at in the Sudan. I've slept under a poncho in the freezing rain. I've lived in tents and underground bunkers, drove big trucks and carried guns. And I've walked with Presidents. But in the end, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I had fun! It was a great adventure.

And finally, after 20 years I get to meet the Boss.

This was home for 168 days. Made it back to Germany a week before our first was born.