Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

QQ Yak ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:59 PM
bralex
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QQ Yak ????'s

I've decided to buy one of QQ Yak's but need to know a few things prior to ordering. Sounds like the plane has a tendency to be to tail heavy if the proper equipment isn't used re: muffler, ... etc. How sensitive is this plane to CG issues (balance zone)?

1. Can I use a TT spinner with lightened back plate?
2. Can I use a Gator RC mount?
3. Would 9411's be to light?
4. What muffler should be used with a YS 140 FZ?
5. What is the recommended oz/in. servo specs?
6. Any other weight saving ideas????

Thanks!
Bruce
Old 07-23-2004, 06:42 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: QQ Yak ????'s

Bruce, all good questions. Let me try my best:

The Yak 54 is very well designed and does not display critical cg issues any more than any other top quality TOC type of airframe. This doesn't mean you can balance the model anywhere but the plane isn't going to be impossible to handle with cg variances (within reason). Follow QQ's instruction on where to balance and you won't go wrong. This cg point has proven to be the best setup for flying both IMAC and 3d style flying. For all-out 3d flying, a more aft cg works a little better...at least in my experience.

As for the spinner, sure, whatever spinner you want be again the final balance is the key. Don't know anything about the Gator mount but as long as it positions the engine in the proper location I don't see why not. I'm using the OS 160 so again I can't answer the YS 140 question, never had one. Servo recommendations seem high in the manual as 8411 servos put out 180 in oz of torque and are used throughout the giant scale circles. I'm using servos with roughly 90 in oz of torque in the wings and tail and 150 in oz servo for the rudder. These are more than adequate for a 72" airplane.

Well I hop that answers some of your questions. Perhaps someone else can answer the specific questions on the engine.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:35 PM
bralex
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

Thanks for the info! The basis for my questions was more based on my concern for weight/ cg balance then anything else. I've read that mufflers used on the YS 140 and their corresponding weight can be an issue with regard to CG. Your recommendation for servo torque specs was right in line with what I had in mind for the Yak. It's been my experience that some models, especially arf's can have tail heavy issues. In keeping this in mind, I was trying to make smart decisions to avoid shooting myself in the foot and having to resort to the parasite lead weight shuffle. I'll be placing my order in the very near future. Thanks again for your help!

Bruce
Old 07-26-2004, 07:15 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

My QQ Yak has an OS 160 with Bisson inverted pitts muffler. I mounted the battery on a ply plate which extends over the top of the engine. I'll post a picture next time I take the cowling off. So far I have not added any weight to the plane to balance and it is perfectly nuetral rightside up and inverted. I also moved the throttle servo all the way forward into the engine box. It's a pretty clean setup and seems to work great.