Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

OMP Katana ARF close call (Need Help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 02:26 PM
lxcoupe
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP Katana ARF close call (Need Help)

Hey Dion,
I had some problems at the airfield this morning. My elevator broke in half and my left side stab failed not sure of that being because the elevator broke or vice versa here are some pics. I came very close to having a total loss. It almost looks to me like all that middle piece of the elevator is made of is balsa. Any ideas on what can be done about this. I guess i'm the first person to have this happen on this arf so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Al Renkel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47874.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	156861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28851.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	156862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98389.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	156863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19151.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	156864  
Old 07-26-2004, 08:06 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMP Katana ARF close call (Need Help)

It's not balsa but a light hardwood similar to basswood. Really I can't imagine how that could possible shear in flight. Easiest way to fix is carve out the broken area and epoxy in a new piece of 1/4" sq. basswood to join the elevator halves. This can be done without removing any of the control surfaces. Be sure to put some wax paper over the hinge line to prevent gluing the elevators to the stab.