Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

79" YAK Building Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:13 PM
rskiba
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79" YAK Building Help

Has anyone built their wings yet for the 79" YAK? These are different than 80" Edge. The plans are different too in that the YAK plans do not have the dotted line for the opposite wing panel. I think I am close to understanding but want some clarification before I glue in a mistake :-) Are the only differences between the two panels: 1) the side of the ply rib (R1) that the balsa ribs is glued to, 2) the servo mount location. Which way do the ribs lean - top out or bottom? Also, it is not possible to build both panels upside down with the same plan sheet. If you did you would end up with 2 of the same panels. One panel has to be built right side up and one upside down......over the same plan sheet.........Help please.....
Old 08-13-2004, 07:43 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 79" YAK Building Help

The wings are "Quad tapered" meaning that they are fully symetrical rightside up and upside down. In comparison, the Edge wing is double tapered only on the trailing edge and bottom of wing. The top of the wing is flat from tip to tip. Therefore when building the wings flat on your board, the ribs will lean slightly toward the tip because the tip ribs are obviously shorter in height than the root ribs. Both wings can be built over the same plans. You built one wing upside down making sure the root and servo bay ribs face upward (actual bottom of the wing) and then when you build the other wing, you build it rightside up to begin making sure the root and servo bay ribs face down. Just like other wing builds, once you finish sheeting one side you'll flip it over and reposition the trailing edge jig to assure a straight wing, and then sheet that side. The key thing on these bigger profile wings is to make sure the root rib is perfectly straight so it fits nice against the fuselage. Follow the instructions and photos and use a big straight edge to make sure.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:46 AM
rskiba
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: 79" YAK Building Help

Mike,

Thanks for the help - it is the written instructions that have the errors and where I was getting confused...I sent you an e-mail with the discrepancies...thanks again for your help!

Rob