Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Tetherite gear way too insufficent

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 05:10 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tetherite gear way too insufficent

I'm using the Tetherite Landing gear on my OMP Edge540 that you shipped with the plane. Its way too flexible in my opinion. The gear flexes about 1/2-1 inch on the weight of the plane alone. I had a less than stellular landing today...stalled about a 1 foot and half over the runway instead of about 6 inches. Not enough to damage the plane at all. Although it was less than perfect is was hardly terrible by any stretch of the imagination...but the gear was so flexible it allowed the prop to get chewed up. It would have had to flex a good 5 inches. I sanded the ends and continued on...but at that rate, I'm going to need to buy props by the 6 pack.

Same thing happend on my first prop yesterday without even taking off. I was just rolling out the engine run up area and the gear flexied over an asphalt hump was sufficient to damage the prop. I would characterize the gear as inferior from what one would expect.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:34 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Tetherite gear way too insufficent

Some of the kits we shipped came with the lighter version of Tetherite that you purchased. If you are unhappy with them, mail them to us and we will replace them with the newer version. They are much stronger.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:28 PM
3d-aholic

How can I tell which version I have?

So I have to take my plane out of commission now to fix a mistake that you made?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:17 AM
Spacey

We have discussed this before and i'm afraid if you do not want to take your plane out of the sky you can try to go my route. Making the gear stronger is an easy fix and will only take you 10minutes. There are two threads on this on the #2 page of this forum.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Teth...2034496/tm.htm

The other thread also contains tetherite in the topic and will clarify for you which gear you have. This is not a mistake on anyones behalf but rather a small misunderstanding if you can put it that way. Besides I do not think that sending the gear back to OMP to get a replacement will take your plane out of the sky for longer than a couple of days would it?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:24 AM
STLPilot

Like Spacey said, we have gone through this before and have not had many complaints. We are also replacing a $8 pair of Tetherite with a $15 pair.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:15 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Dion, did you ever get the new gear in? I sent in a pair from my Katana kit over a month ago. Haven't seen any replacements yet although I'm not in a big hurry for them. I have to finish up my 65" Yak then get started on my 79" Yak then decide which is next between another Burrito, the Sledge I won at New Albany or my OMP Katana kit that the gear came from.
Thanks,,,Matt
Old 08-30-2004, 10:30 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: Spacey
Besides I do not think that sending the gear back to OMP to get a replacement will take your plane out of the sky for longer than a couple of days would it?
Well seeing how it took a week and a half to get the plane originally and basmntdweller has been waiting for his for over a month....I would say its somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks.

When I bought my Ultra Sports 40 + in the first 3 months GP was shipping them, they shipped it with the wrong gear. I called them on the phone and they shipped the correct gear for me right away. Got it 4 days later....
Old 08-30-2004, 11:55 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller
Hey Dion, did you ever get the new gear in? I sent in a pair from my Katana kit over a month ago.
No Matt I did not see them. You shipped them to the other office and it's closed until Wed nite.

Feel free to call us if you ever have shipping problems or order inquiry's. Our phone numbers are listed on the top of every page of our website. I'll check as soon as our other office is open on Wed. We had several pairs come back to us. We will send you an extra pair for the trouble too.

Get the kit built ... I'll make sure they go out by Thursday, if they have not already.