Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

46" Katana P Covering Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:12 PM
LVS
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46" Katana P Covering Question

Hello,
Currently in the process of building the 46" Katana P kit. Thinking ahead to covering I am going to duplicate the covering on the white/yellow Katanas on your website, which I believe is the traditional Katana look.

My question is regarding the black/blue rectangles that outline the wing nearest the fuse and the tail feathers on each side...
1. Are these graphics or just cut out covering over covering?
2. If it is covering do have a stencil available?
3. Do you sell the "Katana P" graphics that are on the wing and fuse?
4. If not does a pattern already exist at a graphics outfit that can then duplicate the lettering?
5. How is the underside covered?

Thanks.
Larry
Old 09-09-2004, 01:48 AM
Spacey

Default RE: 46" Katana P Covering Question

I'll take a stab at this guys if you don't mind. LVS my best suggestion would be for you to go search around in the 3D forum for all the funtana threads. There is hundreds of pictures there of funtanas all over which will give you a very good perception of the colour scheme. You will unfortunately have to measure with a couple of references and get the layout of everything into perspective yourself. But I promise you that if you have a lot of pics it will be easy. Even scale guys (And I've done this myself) use pictures of the real planes to reference colour schemes from.

As for the decals I would recommend using the "windex" method. Fellow Bro Termagator did some good threads on this and you will get a great load of info on how to do this.
Otherwise I suppose you could try using Vinyl to cut everything out but vinyl has a tendency to lift up after a while so I do not reccomend this. Although if you do decide to go this route make sure you run a little low heat over all the decals after you've stuck them on. I do not think you are going to find any templates or anything for doing the scheme. But I can not see you having any difficulty with it. And if you do please feel free to ask at any time and me and others will help you best we can!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:05 AM
jnjacksn

All the graphics on the white one were cut by Kirby. I am sure he still has all the templates if you call him and ask for the Katana P graphics package. The bottom is transparent yellow with three carbon fiber stripes.

The yellow prototype graphics were cut by hand.

Both planes look great, but the hand cutting of the graphics takes a while!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:37 AM
LVS

Thanks Gentlemen.

jnjacksn,
I called Dennis at Kirby and he said he didn't have the templates for this plane at least filed under Katana P. However, he said it could be filed under the name of the person who had them cut. Do you know what name I might try, you can PM me if you wish?

I was trying to avoid the hand cutting if possible, but would actually prefer using covering instead of vinyl. I don't know if I have the patience for it or not though!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:06 AM
LVS

Dion,
Any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Clay Jr.

Hey,
The graphics are going to be in my name (Clay McKee) or Matt Phillips. If you have any trouble getting them let me know and I will see if I can call and find out for sure if he even saved the info. If he didn't we should still have the file for the order. The graphic were great that he did for us.

Clay
Old 09-12-2004, 01:11 PM
LVS

Thanks mucho Clay!