Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

A couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 01:02 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of questions

I am building the 47" yak.

I want to put a HS-81 on my throttle does anybody have any pictures of this mounted outside of the wing.

Also I started the build without the instructions (no computer at my other house where I am building) Yes thats stupid but I figured that I had built a lot of planes so...
I didnt leave a gap for the servo wires to run into the wing (built solid) can I just cut it out with a saw and steady hand???
Old 10-02-2004, 10:57 PM
southern_touch9

Default RE: A couple of questions

any help here guys??? Especially with the cutting on the wing. I can always rig a servo in the fues with no problems.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Spacey

Yes you can cut the hole in the trailing edge afterwards. Make it nice and big so you won't struggle to get the wires pulled through. Just make sure you don't cut it too wide so the fuselage don't cover the hole. Also if I could guess a nice 1/2 to full inch length hole should do the trick. The plan shows the hole quite nicely.

On the throttle servo side you could of course just make the servo tray inside the wing a little smaller by spacing the rails different. Otherwise I have seen folks just mount the servo behind the engine. But remember you're going to get a lot of fuel on the servo in that spot. But it works well I suppose. All you'll have to do is cut the fuselage open on one side. I think with that servo that it is small enough so you won't have to cut the sheeting on both sides. You'll have to glue in some ply servo rails there as well. Then the lead you can perhaps mount the servo close to the wing and just cut a small hole in the leading edge sheeting to put the servo lead through. Important here that you don't cut that hole in the leading edge itself. The leading edge does help with wing structural strength. Make a tiny hole just above it in the sheeting.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:56 AM
AFSalmon

Mounting the 81 servo for the throttle is the way to go and the way most of us do it now. Center the servo behind the engine with the servo arm positioned correctly. Trace out the appropriate hole and cut through the right side ply doubler, balsa, and foam core. Don't cut through the left side ply as the servo fits in nicely on the right side. Before mounting your engine, take a long 3/8" drill bit and drill a hole through the center of the fuselage from the back of the engine opening, through your servo well, and through the foam core into the center of the wing between the R1 ribs. Use this hole to feed your servo wire through and into the radio compartment. Try to place this servo hole above or below the leading edge stock of the wing.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:58 AM
AFSalmon

Oh, forgot to mention you don't need any extra hardwood servo mounts as the 1/16th ply doubler does this for you. Have you glued the wing is yet?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Spacey

uhh....sorry I forgot about the ply doubler.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:49 PM
southern_touch9

No I havent had a chance to do anything this week. I plan to glue the wing after covering b/c I cant stand covering a fixed wing plane when its all together. Due to time constrants (work from 10-13 hrs/day ) and the fact that I dont want to see a plane that is 60% built just sit there I have decided to hand it off to a pro builder to finish up for me Im just ready to get to torquen' it on the deck. I got my duralites, CF gear just sitting here waiting on go. My question is this are those Hitech mighty minis the way to go on this thing??? Seems like they would save a few oz.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:58 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

There are people using those all around, I'm not, but I have read the emails. Your going to pay a good amount for them, but reports say you'll save up to about 4-5 oz. So yes, they are good servos and 4-5 oz is a great save, so it's just about you wanting to spend the extra money. If you got it ... spend it.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:54 AM
southern_touch9

Servo city has them for $20.99, not a whole lot of money to save that kind of weight. I mean a Hitech 425 is $15 so its worth it (or at least thats how I am going to justify it to the GF). An investment.

I already have the duralite battery system I bought just for it and the graph tech CF gear so why get skimmpy on saving the weight with the servos.