Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Shock Flyer Motor dead ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Ted Harrold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Flyer Motor dead ???

The stock motor on my foam Edge 540 is not putting out the same power as it was when new. It has had about 15 flights on it. I bypassed the ESC and it still does not come up on the rpm. It is turning about 4100 rpm on fresh batteries. They are 3s 11.1 volt 700 mah lipos. Is my motor dead? It should run longer than 15 flights.
Ted
Old 11-04-2004, 04:05 PM
LVS
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Shock Flyer Motor dead ???

probably just needs new brushes.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Ted Harrold

OK if the brushes need replacing , where do I get them from. Also if I want to replace the motor what size is it. It has mabuchi 9R on the side .What size is this 300 350 370 ?
Ted
Old 11-05-2004, 03:50 AM
Spacey

Yeah ditto on the brushes. These little brushed motors sometimes have a tendency to do that. But take my word for a new motor costs the same as a pack of smokes

Just run to the LHS, they should have the motors in stock or well be able to get you one. Rather tell them to get you a couple of them! hehehe
The motor used there is to my knowledge a Speed 280. Just take the motor with to the shop. They'll be able to help you. And like I said the motors are something like 7 bucks or less.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Ted Harrold

Thanks guys
Old 11-08-2004, 03:14 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Roger that, the stock motors are commonly referred to as "can 300 motors". You can get a whole pack probably for less than the trouble it would take to change the brushes. Check out your LHS or Radical RC online.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:23 PM
TooLy

I suggest you to get brushless motor.
The problem with the original motors with brushes is that they are good for maximum 8.4 volt (280-370).
Almost all manufactures don't mention it, this is a cheap way to start with.
With 2 lioply it will work more time but you have less power.
With 3 lipoly it will work better but only for a few times, because it able to get only 8.4 volt, using 11.1 cause the coils to short the circuit.
This is because the emyle (not sure how you write it) cover burn and the exposed wires touch each other and make the short circuit.
The motor can be very hot and it will draw a lot from you battery(you can even ruin it).

One option if you still want to try the brush motor (for computer radios) is to connect a voltage meter with the probes on the + & - of the motor, turn it on and open full throttle.
Lower the EPA/ATV of up stick direction until you see 8.4 volt in the meter.

In this way you will have power and the motor last more.
I was able to hover my 320g cap and pull out.

The best is to get brushless motor, himax is good and cheap for example, it will work much better and smoother, more time to fly,power and zero problems.