Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Help - curve in fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:11 PM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - curve in fuse

I am building a 47" Yak kit and have a curve in the fuse. I followed instructions in assembly, but obviously did something wrong. When laid flat, the center of the fuse is probably 1/8-1/4 inch off of the table while the ends are touching. Can I straighten this out or should I start over? I do know my table is flat.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:33 PM
bentgear

Default RE: Help - curve in fuse

While building the bigger YAK I got carried away with the gorilla glue and wound up with waves in the fuse. Was able to get some of them out by reverse bending with weights and misting with water. Never go them all out tho. You might want to try that as it might help. If you can get it down to 1/8" I would fly the heck out of it. Some are off way more than that after repairs.

Ed M.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:40 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Bentgear really states the only way we know of to unwarp structures. You can try wetting with water and ammonia and weighting in the opposite direction. If this does not work then you will need to build a new fuse. It's important to assure you not only have a flat table but a sturdy one as well so it won't bow under weight. Also be careful with how much glue you use and do both sides at the same time instead of one first, cure, and then the other one.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:01 PM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks Mike. I will try that. I have no idea how this happened as my table is flat and very sturdy. Also, I did do both sides at once as instructed in the manual. If I do need to build another fuse, what would the required parts cost? I would need the core, sheeting and the edge material.

Now I am thinking I should have gone with an ARF instead of a kit. Do these come in ARF's?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:55 AM
Spacey

Dean first wet it and weigh it down again. But weigh it down much less this time to make sure it's not your table that is giving in under the weight. I was able to get my fuz sorted this way as I had the exact same problem. My friend's fuz is still warped but we're making a plan with it now. You might think your table is sturdy but yes facts are they sometimes simply are not. You won't need all the weight now as the sheeting is already glued.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:27 AM
AFSalmon

Dean320,

Email our website if you need replacement parts, we'll take care of you. And yes ARFs are in the works right now.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

I did the same thing with my GS540P. I had a pretty substantial LEFT bow (ouch) because I used a hollow door blank which was perfectly flat, but bowed in the center under an estimated 150 lbs of weight. I sanded off one side (right side-opposite) of the balsa and resheeted it. This time on a really flat, really rigid surface with all the weight I could get. My wife wasn't pleased to find out the dining room table wasn't usable for several days due to the fuse being on it while curing. Balsa sheeting is pretty cheap, and in my case, it was more a matter of this fix taking less time than ordering a new fuse and starting over.

Doug
Old 11-08-2004, 03:11 PM
AFSalmon

Doug,

That's a really good idea for a fix. Must have been fun sanding off one side of sheeting. Hope you didn't do that part on your kitchen table or elst yee may be sleepin' on da couch!