Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

47" Gear question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 10:09 AM
lomcevek1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47" Gear question

I have lost the plans for this delightful airplane and I am not sure where to be placing the holes for the gear legs. Help please??
Old 12-16-2004, 01:39 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 47" Gear question

Are you using wire gear or the profile style gear? The original wire gear was mounted with the top hole into the back of the bottom engine rail. The bottom of the gear was anchored via two 5/32" nylon gear straps, one on each side of the fuselage, and bolts and nylock nuts going all the way through the fuse. These straps were installed about half way between the bottom engine rail and the bottom of the fuselage.

the profile gear like the Tetherite gear we now use is mounted just in front of the leading edge flush with the bottom of the fuselage and obviously over the top of the ply doubler.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:13 AM
lomcevek1

I am using the wire gear on what used to be the built up fuse.

The bottom engine rail ???? Hmm Any pics?? I still have the CD but it was not much help
Old 12-17-2004, 07:54 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

We haven't done the wire gear in probably two years. There are pictures on the CD manual as well as the plans. At least there were on the kits I produced. Basically though all you do is drill two 5/32" holes directly next to each other in the center of the bottom engine rail between the back of the engine and the front of the wing. The hardwood engine rail does go back this far. This give you the top mounting holes for the gear to be inserted from both sides. Then use the nylon gear strap as described above. Here's an old picture showing this setup. Note the gear is installed in the "top" rail here and the gear strap into the "bottom" engine rail. This was a very early setup and the later wire gear setups were lowered as described above.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18118.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	203924  
Old 12-17-2004, 10:22 AM
lomcevek1

OK I saw that picture there and that is what started all this confusion. And yes this is an older kit. Laser cut wood wire gear. I framed this one up about a year ago and I am now getting around to finishing it. This one is going to be nicer than the first one !!!!