Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

47 edge 540 balancing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
joco1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47 edge 540 balancing

my 47 edge 540 is unbelievable tail heavy i am going to mount a 55 ax on the nose but havnt yet i set the balance at 5 inches on my cg stand and even when i set the engine on it and slide it as far as i can forward the tail just drops and touches the table (like its rideing a wheelie) i have 2 ds821 servos on the rear which i know are big but not that big and the battery is far as it can be forward in the wing .any suggestions what i did wrong or what i can do now?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:02 PM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Default RE: 47 edge 540 balancing

Mount the engine as far forward as possible What type of servo are you using for your throttle? If your using a mini or smaller type, consider going to a "full size" If all else fails, either go to a heavier four stroke or consider the stick on type of weights up front I too am buidling the Edge so keep me informed of your progress & problems you may have encountered Joe
PS Mine will have a YS 61 with a moose can pipe and all JR equipment
Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 AM
maninblk

I had to mount my 55ax as far forward as possible and the battery is in the front of the wing on the right side. I added a piece of lead on the left wing about 1 ounce to laterally balance it. I too am using 821 servos and an 81 up front for throttle, fly it and see if that is good for you. Mine is still about 1/2 inches behind the recommend CG but it flies good and is very stable.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

First thing I'd do is put your battery in the left wing leading edge. You always put the battery in the left wing of a profile to counter the engine weight on the right side. Then you could probably take off the weight on your wing tip. The recommended cg is for starting out but you can go up to an inch further aft for ultimate 3D. To be perfect for 3d trim the plane for level flight at about 1/2 throttle and then roll inverted. If the nose drops you are nose heavy, if it climbs then you are tail heavy.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 PM
joco1

i got it mounted tonight and now it seems nose heavy! i can put it on my cg machine and its either real tail heavy sometimes or real nose heavy sometimes ive never ever had this much trouble balancing a plane but this is my first profile .guess i will just maiden it and see what happens?! ive got it set at 5 inches, when its nose heavy i can put up to 7 of the small weights on the rear before it even moves at all then it gets real tail heavy i surely must be missing something ........ it sure is frustrating!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 PM
AFSalmon

ORIGINAL: joco1

i got it mounted tonight and now it seems nose heavy! i can put it on my cg machine and its either real tail heavy sometimes or real nose heavy sometimes ive never ever had this much trouble balancing a plane but this is my first profile .guess i will just maiden it and see what happens?! ive got it set at 5 inches, when its nose heavy i can put up to 7 of the small weights on the rear before it even moves at all then it gets real tail heavy i surely must be missing something ........ it sure is frustrating!
This is a classic balancing story and common with those balancers. They are so smooth that the plane will easily flip from one side to the other due to the high center of mass relative to where the balancer actually touches the wings. Flip the plane upside down and balance that way and it usually fixes this issue. Or better yet just use your fingers like most of us. Get it close and fine tune via flight test.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
maninblk

Well i didn't put the battery in the left wing cause it was not cut out for a hatch. so i slid it in the right side. I am comfortable with it there and the weight on the left side. I flew mine with the engine mounted all the way forward on the mount and it is ok. It is about 1/2 inch aft the recommended and that is fine for my 3d skills, thanks for your response. as a side note. I did use 40 size control rods for the tail gear so that is probably why mine came out tail heavy, boy did i get ragged on at my field. LOL
Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 PM
AFSalmon

You don't need a hatch for the battery. Wrap it up and secure it either in front or behind the wing tube. The idea with teh hatch on the top of the right wing is so you can easily install and remove the wing nut which holds the wing on without having the battery and/or rx in the way. There is plenty of opening in the root rib to install teh battery. But bottomline is that if you have yours all balanced up you should be good to go.