Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Pro Yak fuel talk questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Yak fuel talk questions

On my 47" Pro Yak ARF, there are no pre-drilled holes for the fuel tank zip-ties. They should be there somehwere shouldn't they? , ... but seem to be ommitted. Any precautions or things to look out for when I go to it with the drill? Looks like on my Edge that the tank is just centered right behind the engine and the holes are drilled in line with the hardwood engine mount beams approximately.

Also, the tanks that came with my Edge and Pro Yak are 180cc or 6 oz. tanks. I would like to eventually replace them with 8 oz. tanks (think my old Fusion ARF has an 8 oz. tank). A couple of full throttle runs straight up for a spin can go through a 6 oz. tank pretty quick. I would like to know where I can buy those profile type tanks that have the neat grooves molded in for the zip ties to rest in .... ?

Thanks loads,

Ernie

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: Pro Yak fuel talk questions

Zip ties can cause you misery with foaming. Just my experience with them.
Use foam rubber under the tank and a couple rubber bands hooked to screw-in J-hooks.
With 2 new rubber bands and foam rubber underneath, you can't throw the tank off except in a crash.
If you are running a 2-stroke 6oz is plenty. I'd only go up to 8oz. if you have a saito 82.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Ernie Misner

Thanks ThumbSkull. Interesting. On my Edge I used the zip ties but left them fairly loose and was thinking the tank was more free floating than what I could have done with rubber bands, but have not tried the rubber bands. I do notice fuel foaming for sure, but do use a fuel filter right before the carb and haven't had any ill effects that I know of. A filter there can have a condensating effect on the air bubbles.

I haven't drilled the holes yet on the Pro Yak so may just go with the J-hooks. Any particular type of rubber bands the best?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 AM
ThumbSkull

I use #62 or #64 depending on the tank. 2 is plenty for a 6oz. tank and maybe 3 for an 8oz. Sometimes instead of the J-hook I drill a 1/16" hole through and bend some wire into a big U then put it through the holes and then bend the J.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Ernie Misner

Ahhh good idea..... I'm gonna do that. If you were to buy an 8 oz. tank, what would you buy???

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
ThumbSkull

Hayes tanks rock on profiles. They'll even take the pressure from YS.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

A 6 oz tank is more than enough for a 40 size profile flying typical 3D. Any bigger just tankes up space and adds weight IMO. I can fly 8-10 min on my stock setup with a 6 oz tank doing general flying around and 3D and still land with plenty of fuel in the tank.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks Mike. Where do you get those tanks with the grooves in them?

Ernie
Old 03-10-2010, 07:56 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Thanks Mike. Where do you get those tanks with the grooves in them?

Ernie
They all come from China. I really like them and wish you could get them here in the states. We have a bunch of tanks from parted out ARFs over the years so if you really want one give John a call at OMP and ask him to go through the scrap pile! LOL