Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Sourcing out NiMh batteries over Lipo - Read more :)

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Sourcing out NiMh batteries over Lipo - Read more :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:09 PM
E-SKY_FLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sourcing out NiMh batteries over Lipo - Read more :)

Hey guys/gals,
I am a Safety freak true and true. I ended up buying a Glider that came with some lipo batteries, I even bought a Document Fireproof safe to keep them in but I am still very uncertain about them.

I have always been happy with 2/3a NiMh batteries

My thoughts are mainly based around the Discharge rate of the NiMh

The Glider has a 18amp esc and 2812/1600KV outrunner motor.

The standard battery is a 20C Li-Po.

Could anyone recommend a NiMh battery? I think I am over exaggerating with it all but its the only way i'll truly enjoy the hobby.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sourcing out NiMh batteries over Lipo - Read more :)

This is my 2 cents.
I think you need to get over the lipo thing. I keep mine in coffee tins
Just follow the instructions and don't charge too fast or over charge them. Don't store them fully charged. Use the storage mode on your lipo charger.
Yes there are some rules to follow, but NIMH has rules as well, like don't over discharge them.
Lipos are getting very cheap and NIMH is going up. Lipos put out more power and for a longer period of time. Lipo is lighet than NIMH.

But if you still must, these guys are great.

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sourcing out NiMh batteries over Lipo - Read more :)

To be honest, I have melted more NICD and NIMH batteries then I have LIPO's. I lost several nimh packs in crashes and by over charging. I have only lost (2) lipos form being stupid. I have almost 40 lipo batteries now. I have turned all of my nicd, nimh cels in for recycling. The only nimh I have left are for the flight packs of glow planes and the nimh pack for my starter.

I would say a nimh pack would weigh about 3 times that of a lipo. If you are dead set on nimh's, then you will have to make up a pack that is the same voltage or close to the lipo pack. If you lipo pack is a 3 cell 11.1v then you will want to build up a nimh pack that is a 10 cell for 12 volts. Now if you lipo pack is a 2 cell 7.4v then you will want to make up a 6 cell pack for 7.2v. To me, that is just to much work.

I say stay with the lipo, use a good charger and have lots of fun. My 2 cents worth. Use at your own risk.

Buzz.